159. overall C/W Elmer Söderblom

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
At 6'8 240lbs, Soderblom might be the most intriguing prospect we've had in awhile. I didn't know his puck skills and hockey IQ were this good. I think he can be a super valuable piece going forward. He might not put up the impressive stats like others but he can contribute just like Holmstrom. The size he has to hold on to the puck combined with his skill and IQ was insane at the WJC, if he continues to develop, he might be able to do that against NHL competition. Hopefully he gets some more consistent playing time with Frolunda.

2020-2021: Become a top 9 forward for Frolunda
2021-2022: Become a key piece for Frolunda
2022-2023: Play for Grand Rapids
2023-2024: Raymond - Wright - Soderblom

Reactions: lilidk

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Its nice to see Soderblom pull some moves that skilled players pull... and not just be a giant bull in the china shop.
Seems as though he has some talent besides just being huge. Should be a fun prospect to follow. Odds are still very low he ever makes the NHL, but we can hope.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Nice tournament, fun player to watch. That said, I think folks are getting a bit carried away. I'd like to see consistent production at the SHL level before I can confidently project him as an NHLer. Even then, you've got to remember that a guy like Axel Holmstrom put up 14 points in the SHL playoffs as a junior and struggled to adapt to hockey in Grand Rapids (partially due to injuries, to be fair.)

I don't mean to be a downer, but it's a tough road to the NHL and when guys are taken in the later rounds it's more often than not for a reason. I like Soderblom as a 6th round addition, and I'm impressed by his performance this tournament, but I think he has a long road to the NHL.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
At 6'8 240lbs, Soderblom might be the most intriguing prospect we've had in awhile. I didn't know his puck skills and hockey IQ were this good. I think he can be a super valuable piece going forward. He might not put up the impressive stats like others but he can contribute just like Holmstrom. The size he has to hold on to the puck combined with his skill and IQ was insane at the WJC, if he continues to develop, he might be able to do that against NHL competition. Hopefully he gets some more consistent playing time with Frolunda.

2024-2025: wins his first Stanley cup

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Definitely was impressed with him. My only "concern" is that he seems to tunnel vision a little too much sometimes, but I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything, I think this is the kind of awareness he can definitely work on. I'm really curious to see how he's gonna develop, but damn is his potential intriguing.

Reactions: r0bert8841

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Definitely was impressed with him. My only "concern" is that he seems to tunnel vision a little too much sometimes, but I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything, I think this is the kind of awareness he can definitely work on. I'm really curious to see how he's gonna develop, but damn is his potential intriguing.

He’s a big goal scoring winger. The reason that guys like him are goal scoring wingers is BECAUSE they have tunnel vision. If he were a center then it’s a worry.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
He’s a big goal scoring winger. The reason that guys like him are goal scoring wingers is BECAUSE they have tunnel vision. If he were a center then it’s a worry.
Yeah I guess. It's just that sometimes I saw some openings for either a pass or for him to take a different approach but went with obvious first choice for him and kept going. He came close to scoring so many times, so I can't really fault him :laugh:. For example, Mantha will be able to spot a pass opportunity despite his rushing tendencies. Like I said, I'm just nitpicking anyway, he could play the same way in the NHL and be really successful for all I know. He reminds me of a slower but bigger Josh Anderson in a way. I like his potential a lot.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah I guess. It's just that sometimes I saw some openings for either a pass or for him to take a different approach but went with obvious first choice for him and kept going. He came close to scoring so many times, so I can't really fault him :laugh:. For example, Mantha will be able to spot a pass opportunity despite his rushing tendencies. Like I said, I'm just nitpicking anyway, he could play the same way in the NHL and be really successful for all I know. He reminds me of a slower but bigger Josh Anderson in a way. I like his potential a lot.

I don’t know man, Josh Anderson gives me Abdelkader vibes. Grinder who overachieved when playing up on a thin lineup.

Soderblom with better balance and strength ends up a better version of JVR or Kreider.

Reactions: Realgud

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Nice tournament, fun player to watch. That said, I think folks are getting a bit carried away. I'd like to see consistent production at the SHL level before I can confidently project him as an NHLer. Even then, you've got to remember that a guy like Axel Holmstrom put up 14 points in the SHL playoffs as a junior and struggled to adapt to hockey in Grand Rapids (partially due to injuries, to be fair.)

I don't mean to be a downer, but it's a tough road to the NHL and when guys are taken in the later rounds it's more often than not for a reason. I like Soderblom as a 6th round addition, and I'm impressed by his performance this tournament, but I think he has a long road to the NHL.

Axel was a rough skater who was beset with injuries that hurt his skating even more. He never had the size or skill to compensate for his skating.

Reactions: jaster

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Dzone work, acceleration, balance and passing - all need work.
He's 19. Won't be 20 until July.
How old was Chara before he really looked like he belonged? 23?

These 6'5 and 6'6 guys take time.
It's the same reason why I don't fret about Byfield at 18.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Dzone work, acceleration, balance and passing - all need work.
He's 19. Won't be 20 until July.
How old was Chara before he really looked like he belonged? 23?

These 6'5 and 6'6 guys take time.
It's the same reason why I don't fret about Byfield at 18.

Yeah, everything you've mentioned will come with time, which is why I rarely mention things related to the skillset of a player. I was mostly talking about his offensive zone awareness.

Totally agree with you about Byfield too, him and Lafrenière are the ones I'm potentially mad about missing out on. Byfield has the chance to be really special.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, everything you've mentioned will come with time, which is why I rarely mention things related to the skillset of a player. I was mostly talking about his offensive zone awareness.

Totally agree with you about Byfield too, him and Lafrenière are the ones I'm potentially mad about missing out on. Byfield has the chance to be really special.

I liked how much Soderblom wanted the puck on his stick. Some people joked about how much some of the swedes banged their stick on the ice. But for me it was a good sign of the confidence and willingness to take charge that Soderblom has - things you don't always find in a 6th round pick playing in his first WJC.

Reactions: Realgud

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Axel was a rough skater who was beset with injuries that hurt his skating even more. He never had the size or skill to compensate for his skating.

I'm not necessarily saying that Soderblom faces identical obstacles to those that Axel Holmstrom faced. I'm saying that Soderblom still hasn't established himself as a legitimate SHL forward, and that, even if he does, it's a long road from the SHL to the NHL. I obviously want the kid to succeed, but some folks seem ready to pencil him into our middle six a few years down the road and I think that's very ambitious.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don’t know man, Josh Anderson gives me Abdelkader vibes. Grinder who overachieved when playing up on a thin lineup.

Soderblom with better balance and strength ends up a better version of JVR or Kreider.

Man, I would be shocked if he became as good as JVR. Not to mention a better version.

Reactions: Ulysses31 and izlez

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Man, I would be shocked if he became as good as JVR. Not to mention a better version.

JVR is one of the better 2nd line wingers in the league, and if the stars align I can see Soderblom becoming the same. It's a long shot, for sure. I think the potential is there with his combination of reach and skill. The guy has the hands of a top 20 draft talent but the skating issues can't be overlooked yet. That's what will limit his effectiveness moving forward.
7.5D upside, 6.5B downside.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Laughed pretty loud for that. :D

This hype has just gone totally out of hands. When I looked to multiple advanced stats, Söderblom was very average on this tournament. 9th best of Swedish forwards.

Long way to go.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He does have a long way to go, but Soderblom was better than the 9th best Swedish forward. This is a great example of how stats being used in too small a sample size, and without context, can be highly misleading.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
sod's has undeniably good hands and quick mind , along with huge reach . these are unchanging and important aspects of his game that will work just as well in the nhl . if he gets strong and balanced enough on skates feasibly becomes top 6 nhler . im thinking hakan stole all of wallinder , neiderbach , soderblom

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not necessarily saying that Soderblom faces identical obstacles to those that Axel Holmstrom faced. I'm saying that Soderblom still hasn't established himself as a legitimate SHL forward, and that, even if he does, it's a long road from the SHL to the NHL. I obviously want the kid to succeed, but some folks seem ready to pencil him into our middle six a few years down the road and I think that's very ambitious.
I agree with you that brakes should be applied to the hype train. Regarding SHL though, he really hasn't been given a legitimate shot yet.

This was some of the things he did in his last SHL action, if he stays healthy he will hopefully get much more opportunity going forward.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think trying to think of an NHL comparable to Soderblom is pretty foolish. Just because he does the between the legs goal doesn't make him in any way similar to JVR.

He's a 6'8 kid with nifty hands and can transport the puck. Regardless of how he progresses, he's one of a kind.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I think trying to think of an NHL comparable to Soderblom is pretty foolish. Just because he does the between the legs goal doesn't make him in any way similar to JVR.

He's a 6'8 kid with nifty hands and can transport the puck. Regardless of how he progresses, he's one of a kind.
It’s just a bad comparison. Someone on another site mentioned Nikolai Antropov, and I think that’s a much better comparison.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Chop a year off that timeline. He's not going to need Grand Rapids if he plays two more years for Frolunda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad