159. overall C/W Elmer Söderblom

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Man some people give up on kids early enough. Rasmussen had 18 pts in 60 or so games in his first pro season and what 19 years old. That is pretty good. I mean Patrick for Philly has had 62 combined pts in 2 full seasons and he gets much more ice time and PP time, and he was #2 overall, so I think Ras is doing fine thus far, also considering he still has a kids body and not fully grown into his frame yet.
It's so annoying how some people talking bad about Rasmussen. At this point I don't believe Veleno or Zadina are better than him

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We don't know who is going to be a star in NHL or who is a bust when they are 18. I still not sure who was the best player we drafted last year

Reactions: ealong59

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
There's a reason one was a bona fide first round pick and the other was drafted in the 6th round. Soderblom's instincts, skating, and even puck skills pale in comparison to Rasmussen's, when I read mules comment this morning I didn't think I'd need to make a response but it's July 3rd, so America f*** yea.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It's so annoying how some people talking bad about Rasmussen. At this point I don't believe Veleno or Zadina are better than him

Ive never watched Soderblom. From the reports ive read, he sounds like a replica of Rasmussen. I just wanted to know why one was a first rounder and the other was a 6th rounder. Thanks for the replies.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Ive never watched Soderblom. From the reports ive read, he sounds like a replica of Rasmussen. I just wanted to know why one was a first rounder and the other was a 6th rounder. Thanks for the replies.

When drafted... I think Rasmussen had some real upside as possibly working out as Center, still might. He's prolly going to add 10-25 pounds to his frame in 1-3 years here so. He's definately not a polish product. No one should be ready to throw the towel in on Ras.

Soderblom, to me, will be Dan Boyle 2.0. An that's ok, it's fine. He'll be a solid player, and if he can work on his defensive game, be physical, he'll be more useful.

I like Soderblom and Albin Grewe and maybe even Ethan Phillips from this draft. I think we'll see all three of these guys in the winged wheel 2-3 years from now.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There's a reason why some late rounders becomes superstars and some high draft become bust. It is because you can not predict looking at 17 years old kids how they will develop.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
When drafted... I think Rasmussen had some real upside as possibly working out as Center, still might. He's prolly going to add 10-25 pounds to his frame in 1-3 years here so. He's definately not a polish product. No one should be ready to throw the towel in on Ras.

Soderblom, to me, will be Dan Boyle 2.0. An that's ok, it's fine. He'll be a solid player, and if he can work on his defensive game, be physical, he'll be more useful.

I like Soderblom and Albin Grewe and maybe even Ethan Phillips from this draft. I think we'll see all three of these guys in the winged wheel 2-3 years from now.
Correct. He's Canadian.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Some notable players who took longer to develop, for different reasons & varying degrees:

-Sedins were pretty crappy their first 3-4 seasons

-Barkov, had a slow start

-Duncan Keith
until his 3rd season

Hedman
Pasta
Brent Burns
Jake Muzzin
Tim Thomas

Kyle Turris
Martin St. Louis

Jason Zucker
Dadonov
Radulov
Niederreiter
Schultz
Rakell
Wheeler
Brian Dumolin
Boychuk
Kadri
Olli Jokinen

Thomas Hickey
Chara
HASEK!
Todd Bertuzzi!
Marcus Naslund

Ryan Johansen
LeClair

N.Foligno
JVR
William Karlsson
Ladd
Orlov
Joe Thornton!
Ray Whitney

...and our very own "Mr. Intangibles" & Kenny's prodigal son, Dan Cleary

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Some notable players who took longer to develop, for different reasons & varying degrees:

-Sedins were pretty crappy their first 3-4 seasons

-Barkov, had a slow start

-Duncan Keith
until his 3rd season

Hedman
Pasta
Brent Burns
Jake Muzzin
Tim Thomas

Kyle Turris
Martin St. Louis
Jason Zucker
Dadonov
Radulov
Niederreiter
Schultz
Rakell
Wheeler
Brian Dumolin
Boychuk
Kadri
Olli Jokinen

Thomas Hickey
Chara
HASEK!
Todd Bertuzzi!
Marcus Naslund
Ryan Johansen
LeClair

N.Foligno
JVR
William Karlsson
Ladd
Orlov
Joe Thornton!
Ray Whitney

...and our very own "Mr. Intangibles" & Kenny's prodigal son, Dan Cleary
Chara is a real good example of a big guy who needed to develop into his body. Turned into a monster, as did Lucic in his 4th pro season.

If Raz picks up 10 -20 lbs, he's going to at least be a 3rd line regular, hopefully top 6. Soderblom probably has lower potential, bottom 6 but if he can gain weight and joins the WIngs, it makes the team tough to play against. Good 6th round pick.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
For someone 7'2", he sure does have the hands of someone much smaller. He'll be the quickest riser come mid season polls.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
This kid is having an unbelievable season so far. He is leading Frolunda's U20 team and is the 3rd best player in Sweden in terms of points. Very exciting player, hope he continues this. Next year in the SHL, maybe the year after in the AHL would be the best course of plans.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This kid is having an unbelievable season so far. He is leading Frolunda's U20 team and is the 3rd best player in Sweden in terms of points. Very exciting player, hope he continues this. Next year in the SHL, maybe the year after in the AHL would be the best course of plans.
Lots of players go directly from SHL to NHL, that's not a bad option to let him develop over there. I know he's not Zetterberg or Franzen, but a guy his size isn't going to have as much issue with adjusting to NA physical play.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

Lets hope he will have a stellar SHL debut tonight. If so, maybe he will stay in the SHL!

Reactions: lilidk

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I wonder if he will get changed to a D man like Brent Burns did when he turned pro?
The difference is Burns came into the OHL as a D and was turned into a forward for the 1 season he played there. It also took a while before Wild decided to slide him back on D permanently.

Better comparable would have been Ericsson.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
He might not be a big star, but I think he can be a really good glue guy, you know?

I hope we get to make this joke for years to come.

375105-31-1.jpg

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Had a long think about the best path for Elmer to unleash that beastly potential. He needs atleast a year in the Allsvenskan to develop. He has nothing to learn in the U20's and he has already gotten some Second tier Swedish experience and even some games for Frolunda in the men's league. You could clearly see that that was a bit too much so I hope they don't rush him.

I believe this is the best path:

2020-2021: Allsvenskan
2021-2022: SHL (Frolunda or other team)
2022-2023: SHL (Frolunda or other team)
2023-2024: AHL

This means that he should be 23 years old when moving to the AHL. This gives him time to play Pro and get into his body since he has a massive frame. This is the worst case scenario though, maybe he goes to the AHL a year before the 2023-2024 season.

Reactions: Red Stanley

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I hope they would just loan him out for the full season, these non-elite young guys who are kept around in the SHL tend to get stuck between the 4th line and the U20 team where they no longer belong. He's still 18 so he may make huge strides over the summer, but still a consistent big role on a quality Allsvenskan team would be great.

Could see the Wings pulling another Brattström and picking his triple-overage brother in the late rounds. He had a breakout season in the Allsvenskan last year on a below average team. Joining Skellefteå next season and should get a decent number of starts.

Arvid Söderblom at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->