159. overall C/W Elmer Söderblom

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I just want him to make the NHL for the name alone.

Too bad Tomas Holmstrom isn't around. We could have had a Homer and an Elmer on the team at the same time.

Reactions: odin1981

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Söderblom is probably my favorite "value pick" right now based on a few games viewed. I mean this guy is 6'7 but he also works hard and can basically do everything at at least a decent level - skate, puck handle, pass, shoot, enter the zone, take faceoffs, PK, screen the goalie... He really does have hands and skates quite smoothly, and he has also played a bunch at C outside the U20 level. The question mark for me is how far his offensive IQ can take him and how much more he benefits from his size now vs eventually against adults. It appears that his production in SuperElit was partly held back by playing behind talented young guys like Raymond and Henriksson, but still I would have expected him to be a 4th-5th rounder with that frame and tools. I bet we hear some good reviews of his play this week at development camp. Would be great if he can take a top-6 center spot for Frölunda U20 next season.

I could see him getting a few pro games next year as his skill set accommodates a bottom-6 role unlike perhaps some other smaller skilled prospects they have.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Söderblom is probably my favorite "value pick" right now based on a few games viewed. I mean this guy is 6'7 but he also works hard and can basically do everything at at least a decent level - skate, puck handle, pass, shoot, enter the zone, take faceoffs, PK, screen the goalie... He really does have hands and skates quite smoothly, and he has also played a bunch at C outside the U20 level. The question mark for me is how far his offensive IQ can take him and how much more he benefits from his size now vs eventually against adults. It appears that his production in SuperElit was partly held back by playing behind talented young guys like Raymond and Henriksson, but still I would have expected him to be a 4th-5th rounder with that frame and tools. I bet we hear some good reviews of his play this week at development camp. Would be great if he can take a top-6 center spot for Frölunda U20 next season.

I could see him getting a few pro games next year as his skill set accommodates a bottom-6 role unlike perhaps some other smaller skilled prospects they have.
he has stamina . He were all over the ice yesterday , playing 3 on 3 and today he was one of the most noticeable and he was in the end of the game involve like nobody else

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Usually a kid that's 17 and 6'7" looks like bambi on skates, this kid has a solid stride and the ability to handle the puck in limited space. He's definitely a dangler, it's a different type of combination, but he stuck out in this group. Granted, the percentage of NHLers in this dev camp is low.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Even if he turns into Brian Boyle 2.0, that's value for a 6th. He has the frame to be 250-260 lbs. Imagine him screening the goalie :D

That's the thing. We need all these Rasmussens and Söderbloms to screen those future 6'5-6'6 monster goalies everybody is having/drafting now. Smaller guys are pretty useless against them. Goalies have grown most in average height on latest years.

I noticed this already at 2012, when we lost to Nashville and Holmström screen's were pretty useless against 6'5 Rinne. Homer was still good on rebounds but screens didn't happen, when Pekka just looked over him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wonder if he will get changed to a D man like Brent Burns did when he turned pro?
Nah, goalie.

Ericsson was a center when he got drafted, so I'm sure the Wings will consider it. Depends on his offensive capabilities, he looks like he can skate with the puck so they might just let him play forward. With his reach and skating, I figure he'll be on PK duty either way.

I really like this pick, especially in the 6th. Add 15 - 20 lbs to his frame and he's automatically an upgrade over DLR, Ehn, or Abby. He's already at 220, could wind up being a real monster.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Man some people give up on kids early enough. Rasmussen had 18 pts in 60 or so games in his first pro season and what 19 years old. That is pretty good. I mean Patrick for Philly has had 62 combined pts in 2 full seasons and he gets much more ice time and PP time, and he was #2 overall, so I think Ras is doing fine thus far, also considering he still has a kids body and not fully grown into his frame yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad