159. overall C/W Elmer Söderblom

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Has anyone watched Soderblom play for Frolunda pre-season? Heard he is playing on the 4th line.

I'm not liking how a lot of these Swedish kids move so quickly from the U20 league to the SHL. The all too common story is that they get called up and they're playing on the 4th line and getting single digit icetime per game. I know that the SHL isn't a developmental league like the AHL but for the sake of these kids I think it'd be better to keep them in the U20 to get icetime, and then the Allsvenskan if they're not going to be playing real minutes.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm not liking how a lot of these Swedish kids move so quickly from the U20 league to the SHL. The all too common story is that they get called up and they're playing on the 4th line and getting single digit icetime per game. I know that the SHL isn't a developmental league like the AHL but for the sake of these kids I think it'd be better to keep them in the U20 to get icetime, and then the Allsvenskan if they're not going to be playing real minutes.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the U20 league games start until mid September. This is the time of year to allow young players to dip their toes in the pro-game and to allow young players to practice with the big clubs. I personally love the vertical integration of the European system.

As for Elmer, young players graduating from junior hockey to professional hockey tend to start their pro careers in the bottom six. Put yourself in the shoes of an SHL coach. If Elmer can't force his way onto and up an SHL or Allsvenskan roster this year, we should be disappointed.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I could be wrong, but I don't think the U20 league games start until mid September. This is the time of year to allow young players to dip their toes in the pro-game and to allow young players to practice with the big clubs. I personally love the vertical integration of the European system.

As for Elmer, young players graduating from junior hockey to professional hockey tend to start their pro careers in the bottom six. Put yourself in the shoes of an SHL coach. If Elmer can't force his way onto and up an SHL or Allsvenskan roster this year, we should be disappointed.

I understand why most young guys start in the bottom 6, usually the bottom 3. But I also understand that not playing can have a negative impact on a player's development. Look at Albin Grewe, for instance. Very little playing time in the SHL this year and would have been better anywhere else actually playing. I don't want to see the same thing happen to Elmer who showed that he could be a scorer at the junior level. Rather than playing 4th line minutes I'd like to see him play somewhere he could develop his scoring touch.

Reactions: SirloinUB

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I understand why most young guys start in the bottom 6, usually the bottom 3. But I also understand that not playing can have a negative impact on a player's development. Look at Albin Grewe, for instance. Very little playing time in the SHL this year and would have been better anywhere else actually playing. I don't want to see the same thing happen to Elmer who showed that he could be a scorer at the junior level. Rather than playing 4th line minutes I'd like to see him play somewhere he could develop his scoring touch.
Still playing with better players helping and also not just few minutes a game it's very important he practice with them. I believe Holtz in second line and Raymond in third. Stutzle played a lot of minutes, but his team much weaker than those in Sweden

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

It would be a bummer, sure, but I don't think a 6th round pick could ever really disappoint me for not making the pros at 19. (granted this kid is huge)

Reactions: lilidk

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
that is jaw dropping size but I feel like if his development was high level we would be hearing more hype. I agree from the video he skates well for a large frame but IMO it looked pretty clumsy when you watch it thinking NHL level. He has a lot of years in the bank to develop though. Rooting for him.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
that is jaw dropping size but I feel like if his development was high level we would be hearing more hype. I agree from the video he skates well for a large frame but IMO it looked pretty clumsy when you watch it thinking NHL level. He has a lot of years in the bank to develop though. Rooting for him.
CHara and Lucic have always looked a bit clumsy, it comes with the height. He'll be fine as long as he can keep up with the play.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I was surprised how damn good he was in the 3 on 3 tournament. It's a tournament you think should be dominated by smallish, speedy skill guys. But Soderblom had chance after chance. I don't know if that speaks to something about his IQ or hockey sense. But he stood out, in a good way.

Reactions: hkydave04

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I was surprised how damn good he was in the 3 on 3 tournament. It's a tournament you think should be dominated by smallish, speedy skill guys. But Soderblom had chance after chance. I don't know if that speaks to something about his IQ or hockey sense. But he stood out, in a good way.

The kid has pro level hands and good idea of where to be in the offensive zone. I just hope that his skating can catch up. He reminds me a lot of Freddy Modin back in his Toronto and Tampa days.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
Nobody talking about his goal yesterday, or is it in a thread I missed? Pretty slick hands! Nice bet front presence on the PP. seemed to get a lot of ice time.

edit: I guess people talking about it in the WJC thread, but it’s probably worthy of posting here anyway

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Nobody talking about his goal yesterday, or is it in a thread I missed? Pretty slick hands! Nice bet front presence on the PP. seemed to get a lot of ice time.

edit: I guess people talking about it in the WJC thread, but it’s probably worthy of posting here anyway

It's all over the WJC board, the WJC thread here, and he's got a thread in the prospect forum. The kid is getting attention.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The Frederic Modin parallel you see is a good omen, as Fred is a Cup champ.

Big guy with good hands and scores from in tight? I hope that's what he becomes. The guy would be a matchup nightmare.

Best case scenario he is a good complementary top 6 piece once he figures out how to not skate like a newborn deer.
Worst case scenario he's another Johan Ryno: Big guy that is a coulda been but became a never was.

Both he and Dick Axelsson left Grand Rapids after VERY brief stays there but went back to have solid careers in Sweden. Curt Fraser was coach from 2008 to 2012, and Mike Stothers was coach in 2007-08 when Ryno was there. Both were big guys that showed middle 6 promise. I thought that Axelsson was going to for sure be Mikael Samuelsson's replacement.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Big guy with good hands and scores from in tight? I hope that's what he becomes. The guy would be a matchup nightmare.

Best case scenario he is a good complementary top 6 piece once he figures out how to not skate like a newborn deer.
Worst case scenario he's another Johan Ryno: Big guy that is a coulda been but became a never was.

Both he and Dick Axelsson left Grand Rapids after VERY brief stays there but went back to have solid careers in Sweden. Curt Fraser was coach from 2008 to 2012, and Mike Stothers was coach in 2007-08 when Ryno was there. Both were big guys that showed middle 6 promise. I thought that Axelsson was going to for sure be Mikael Samuelsson's replacement.
Ironically, M.Samuelsson's replacement was, M.Samuelsson. :laugh: He fled to VAN for $/TOI & boosted his stats w/Sedins, had 2 50pt seasons & on pace for a 3rd...then comes back & was injured trash for 2 yrs.

Reminded me slightly of Messier going back to NY after 3 yrs in Van, his 1st yr back was good, followed by 3 subpar years, often hard to watch games.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

probably good idea not to rush him

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
probably good idea not to rush him

No point in rushing him for sure. He's pretty big now at 6'8" 238bs. For reference, Chara is 6'9" 250lbs. Soderblom probably doesn't need to add much more muscle to his frame and should focus more on lower body strength. A skating coach to work on his balance would do wonders as well. If these 2 things can be fixed then we have ourselves an absolute steal.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I wonder how tall this kid is.

6'8" - IIHF and Elite Prospects
6'7" - Frolunda site and NHLN
6'6" - TSN

Reactions: r0bert8841

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Eqwx5CZXcAAtEOC

Quite a monster game from him. Other Red Wings forwards also good.

Reactions: 13to40 and mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad