159. overall C/W Elmer Söderblom

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He's shown me he has a higher floor than I thought. I'm not sure what his ceiling will be point-wise, but his ability to hang on to the puck, to control it through traffic and in corners, brings a ton of value, and a fair amount of points will come from that over time.

Straight up, he's a possession player, and right now I'd like to see him with Copp and Perron on L2, rather than Zadina there. I know it won't happen; the current big line is doing well, he gets to be a little sheltered there as he continues to acclimate to the NHL, and they're still trying to jumpstart Zadina. But I'm ready for a bigger opportunity for Soderblom, whenever that may come.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's shown me he has a higher floor than I thought. I'm not sure what his ceiling will be point-wise, but his ability to hang on to the puck, to control it through traffic and in corners, brings a ton of value, and a fair amount of points will come from that over time.

Straight up, he's a possession player, and right now I'd like to see him with Copp and Perron on L2, rather than Zadina there. I know it won't happen; the current big line is doing well, he gets to be a little sheltered there as he continues to acclimate to the NHL, and they're still trying to jumpstart Zadina. But I'm ready for a bigger opportunity for Soderblom, whenever that may come.
Lines 3 and 4 are creating a matchup issue for opposing teams, moving Zadina off the second line only makes sense if he's going to be benched for a GR callup.

Moving Elmer to L2 would require calling Luff up to play on the 3rd line, because Zadina would be completely useless on line 3 with Raz or line 4 with Suter/Joey. I don't think the team has given up on Zadina yet, but as soon as they start losing things will change.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Lines 3 and 4 are creating a matchup issue for opposing teams, moving Zadina off the second line only makes sense if he's going to be benched for a GR callup.

Moving Elmer to L2 would require calling Luff up to play on the 3rd line, because Zadina would be completely useless on line 3 with Raz or line 4 with Suter/Joey. I don't think the team has given up on Zadina yet, but as soon as they start losing things will change.
Right, I don't see them breaking up L3 yet, nor do I see them moving Zadina from his spot yet, that's basically what I said (or at least meant) lol.

Just looking at Soderblom in a vacuum though, whenever it is that he is deemed acclimated enough to the NHL, he's ready for a bigger opportunity, because what he's bringing to the table can be better taken advantage of by more offensive players than Rasmussen and Sundqvist.

He feels like a Holmstrom-type character in that he could be a really good complimentary player for an offensive line. That knack for possession hockey will open up space and opportunities for linemates who can capitalize.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Right, I don't see them breaking up L3 yet, nor do I see them moving Zadina from his spot yet, that's basically what I said (or at least meant) lol.

Just looking at Soderblom in a vacuum though, whenever it is that he is deemed acclimated enough to the NHL, he's ready for a bigger opportunity, because what he's bringing to the table can be better taken advantage of by more offensive players than Rasmussen and Sundqvist.

He feels like a Holmstrom-type character in that he could be a really good complimentary player for an offensive line. That knack for possession hockey will open up space and opportunities for linemates who can capitalize.
I've been more impressed with Sunny than Elmer though. If anyone gets moved up a line, I think it'll be him. Fester had him on the ice for that extra man situation at the end of the LA game, so you know the coach likes him. Erne to line 3, and Luff/Zadina on line 4.

Zadina + Suter = disaster

... so I think Luff gets called up quickly, lol.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I've been more impressed with Sunny than Elmer though. If anyone gets moved up a line, I think it'll be him. Fester had him on the ice for that extra man situation at the end of the LA game, so you know the coach likes him. Erne to line 3, and Luff/Zadina on line 4.

Zadina + Suter = disaster

... so I think Luff gets called up quickly, lol.
I want to preface this by saying I like Sundqvist a lot. I hope he gets re-signed.

But outside of being a big body who can get some things done on the PP where he has more space, he's not really going to provide much offensively in the top-6. He's not very good in transition, he's not a possession player, or a playmaker, or a shooter. Outside of playing net-front with the goalie pulled or on the PP, Sundqvist has a secondary assist on Soderblom's first goal, and a secondary assist on an ENG.

I like Sundqvist a lot like I liked LFG. Put him in the right role, and he's a big +. Overextend him, and the deficiencies will start to show, and you won't get that same value out of him. The way he's being played right now is perfect I think - a bunch of special teams time, and otherwise fairly minimal ES time on a line he meshes well with.

Reactions: lomekian

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I want to preface this by saying I like Sundqvist a lot. I hope he gets re-signed.

But outside of being a big body who can get some things done on the PP where he has more space, he's not really going to provide much offensively in the top-6. He's not very good in transition, he's not a possession player, or a playmaker, or a shooter. Outside of playing net-front with the goalie pulled or on the PP, Sundqvist has a secondary assist on Soderblom's first goal, and a secondary assist on an ENG.

I like Sundqvist a lot like I liked LFG. Put him in the right role, and he's a big +. Overextend him, and the deficiencies will start to show, and you won't get that same value out of him. The way he's being played right now is perfect I think - a bunch of special teams time, and otherwise fairly minimal ES time on a line he meshes well with.

I like Sunny unapologetically.

A big part of this is coaching and using guys in roles that work. What do you think makes Bill Belicheck so successful in the NFL? He finds guys who do one thing exceptionally well and asks them to do that one thing.

Just like LFG, he wasn’t gonna light up the scoreboard, ever. He also won’t drive possession that well. But he wins face offs and is a general pest.

Reactions: lomekian

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

A big part of this is coaching and using guys in roles that work. What do you think makes Bill Belicheck so successful in the NFL? He finds guys who do one thing exceptionally well and asks them to do that one thing.

Just like LFG, he wasn’t gonna light up the scoreboard, ever. He also won’t drive possession that well. But he wins face offs and is a general pest.

And it’s difficult, because you also have to be ruthless and willing to cut bait from the guy once he stops being exceptional at that one thing and really commit to that specialization being your strategy.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I just looked this up to troll McDavid fans with so I might as well post it here too while I'm at it.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

So we.... agree?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
So we.... agree?
We do. I guess I'm just saying that even if they use Sunny incorrectly, I'll still like him.

E: That was my "unapologetically". My favorite players have f*** all to do with their actual talent and more some inscrutable thing that pops out of my head. And I'm ride or die for them no matter how much they suck... but I don't try to convince others they should like them.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
We do. I guess I'm just saying that even if they use Sunny incorrectly, I'll still like him.

E: That was my "unapologetically". My favorite players have f*** all to do with their actual talent and more some inscrutable thing that pops out of my head. And I'm ride or die for them no matter how much they suck... but I don't try to convince others they should like them.
Ha. I feel that. I was like that with LFG. And I do like Sundqvist a lot too. For me, it's simple, I love gamers. You don't have to have the most skill, the biggest size, the fastest feet, but if you're a high compete guy who's executing your responsibilities, I'm probably a fan. Or I can at least tolerate you. Meanwhile, I hate floaters and panickers. They can really kill momentum and bring a team down.

And that really just goes back to my playing days, and the kinda players you knew you could win with, and the kinda players you knew were overrated. Guys who do the little things, who go in the corners, who backcheck, who can hold the puck... they really do inspire the team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

That's still a lot more than anything Zadina can provide, plus he can cycle the puck.

Quite frankly, the second line is gonna suck until Copp gets going so it's probably a moot point.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
That's still a lot more than anything Zadina can provide, plus he can cycle the puck.

Quite frankly, the second line is gonna suck until Copp gets going so it's probably a moot point.
You will find no defense of Filip Zadina put up by me lol.

Hopefully Copp gets going, yeah.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

With that being said then, when Bertuzzi comes back, the entire lineup would be a problem for matching up, yes?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't see through this Soderblom vs Zadina lens.
Big players. Not the same role. Not on the PP. Not at 5 on 5.

Zadina vs Raymond? Sure. Z took the L a long time ago.
If Berggren comes up? Sure. That viewing is coming soon.
Zadina vs Perron? Perron is showing why that won't happen anytime soon.
Zadina vs Kubalik? Kubalik is making sure that's not a question.

Anyway, this is about Soderblom, right?
Glad he scored again.
But man, their line got jacked yesterday.
1666634563823.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
With that being said then, when Bertuzzi comes back, the entire lineup would be a problem for matching up, yes?
Not really, the first line is average at best with no elite players like the top teams. Copp needs to get going with or without Bert.

Right now, the bottom 6 is a decent matchup against any team, I think the first line can hold their own, but the second line posses a problem unless Bert can play center. (It's a joke, I know he's a winger)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Not really, the first line is average at best with no elite players like the top teams. Copp needs to get going with or without Bert.

Right now, the bottom 6 is a decent matchup against any team, I think the first line can hold their own, but the second line posses a problem unless Bert can play center. (It's a joke, I know he's a winger)

Copp right now does not look anywhere near 100%. He doesn't look like Copp from Winnipeg or NYR; a bit slower, a bit behind the play, and definitely not as good on faceoffs. Still very smart defensively but we need more than that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Copp right now does not look anywhere near 100%. He doesn't look like Copp from Winnipeg or NYR; a bit slower, a bit behind the play, and definitely not as good on faceoffs. Still very smart defensively but we need more than that.
I'm not all that familiar with Copp which is why I haven't said much before the season, but he looks slow out there. If he's not 100% recovered, he needs to sit because the last thing this team needs is Weiss 2.0 for 5 years.

Oct 18, 2006
The kid is such a massive project.

However, look at Tage Thompson’s stats early days, to say he hardly lit the world on fire would be an understatement.

Soderblom’s biggest issue is a lack of strength. Pushed off way too easily, so he can’t really use his size effectively because he’s so weak. However give him 2, 3 more off-seasons and look out. Get him to train with Ras because he’s done an incredible work on building strength.

And you know what, despite the lack of strength and major improvements required, he’s on a four game point streak and has 4-2-6 in 17 games, hardly poor for a rookie 4th line winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad