1290 Radio, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
i like whoever this 2nd guy is currently on with RR. Is that Ryan Brandt?
I like Brandt. He should take over for Kevin O. Hes almost invisible. He does a great job of spotlighting the guests and letting them be the highlight of the segment. Get rid of the stupid 11am monologue and just let him interview people. Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: Steve1964

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jim Toth reveals that he has no clue about the Jets' contract situation. How can he think it's okay to be so ignorant in his job?
what was he saying? i heard he said Gretzky had 801 goals lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
what was he saying? i heard he said Gretzky had 801 goals lol
He was talking about the Jets' cap situation going forward, and how they could have trouble due to bonuses to various players (including Scheifele). I have no idea why he wouldn't just look it up and report the facts, rather than just winging it with his random observations.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If everyone hits every single performance bonus this season, the Jets are on the hook for $512,500. Peanuts.

Roslovic, Harkins, Appleton and Niku won't be on ELCs next year.

You'd have to assume Vesa, Heinola and Samberg all have amazing seasons next year with the Jets - and even then, their max bonuses probably add up to about $2.75M. The cap is probably going up by $2M in each of the next 2 years...so it's not really an issue.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think it comes down to the fact he is dumb but compensates with great hair.

He seems to wear hats a lot now. Not sure the hair is so great anymore lol

Poor Jim is apparently incapable of just saying "I don't know. I'll do a little research and see if I can figure it out." He has to try and answer every question on the spot - and often that answer is just something he makes up that isn't actually a real thing at all. Caller Aaron asks for clarification about something Kevin O said the day before regarding the salary cap implications of the Buff situation and Toth has to try and answer on the spot - cuz y'know...he's a knowledgeable hockey expoit! He throws out some mumbo-jumbo about performance bonuses and thinks he's smart.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He seems to wear hats a lot now. Not sure the hair is so great anymore lol

Poor Jim is apparently incapable of just saying "I don't know. I'll do a little research and see if I can figure it out." He has to try and answer every question on the spot - and often that answer is just something he makes up that isn't actually a real thing at all. Caller Aaron asks for clarification about something Kevin O said the day before regarding the salary cap implications of the Buff situation and Toth has to try and answer on the spot - cuz y'know...he's a knowledgeable hockey expoit! He throws out some mumbo-jumbo about performance bonuses and thinks he's smart.

Jim is all fiction. As long as you are not counting on anything he’s saying being accurate it makes it easier.

Steve1964

Nov 21, 2019
What is being said about Toth above is not only true, it barely scratches the surface. Not only is he a liar with the IQ of a small child, his command of the English language is reprehensible - I suppose has to do with low IQ. On TOP of this, he comes across as very arrogant and condescending. So this begs the question - WHY does Bell feel he is a good person to have on air in a city our size? We are no means a tiny market compared to other Canadian stations. I mean another fair question is why tf they employee someone like Kevin O? Can NO one else fill these spots? Well, Ryan Brandt is one candidate. It bogles the mind they force feed us those two, five days a friggen week.

Reactions: rkp

Steve1964

Nov 21, 2019
Kevin O show cycles every hour in the morning, forcing me to CJOB
O'idiot speaks in a cadence that was popular in the '70's with DJ's. That is speaking LOUD and soft ever couple words. IT CAN become very ANNOYING AFTER even just a COUPLE MINUTES. If you listen close, Alcoholic Andrew does the same thing, it is just not as obvious as with O'idiot.

Reactions: Zippity and Samus

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
lol, yeah Kevin O oscillates constantly between a really loud, intense "everything is happening and it's all crazy!" voice and a low, calm, somewhat sarcastic "everything is normal and we'll all be A-OK" voice. Usually, both voices are applied to the same subject in the same sentence. It gets pretty bothersome!

EDIT - oh yeah, and the loud voice is also the "I'm gonna be funny now" voice. :nod:

Last edited:

Steve1964

Nov 21, 2019
Toth : Leshhhhhhh get to our Shhhhhhhhhhubway Freshhhhhhhhh Queshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhun of the day. Poshhhhhhhhhhht your reshhhhhhponshhhhes….

Caller Norm : I whatever vote whatever for whatever most whatever people whatever tell whatever me whatever to whatever... Whatever....

Cheveldayoff :Well ya know, I can, ya know, see many, ya know, different, ya know, possibilities, ya know.. Ya know?

Caller Ron : I ummmmmmmmmmmmmm….Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. really.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh…

Obviously Ron (or is it Beyak?) and Norm get free passes. They are not being paid to be on air. Toth should be kept away from any open mic. And after all these years you would think Cheveldayoff would be more relaxed around media.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
What is being said about Toth above is not only true, it barely scratches the surface. Not only is he a liar with the IQ of a small child, his command of the English language is reprehensible - I suppose has to do with low IQ. On TOP of this, he comes across as very arrogant and condescending. So this begs the question - WHY does Bell feel he is a good person to have on air in a city our size? We are no means a tiny market compared to other Canadian stations. I mean another fair question is why tf they employee someone like Kevin O? Can NO one else fill these spots? Well, Ryan Brandt is one candidate. It bogles the mind they force feed us those two, five days a friggen week.
Who would do the job for $40k?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I honestly can't believe the job pays that little. I would guess double that for sure. Bell is a mega-rich company.

And they figure you stay rich with mediocre on air talent that you don't have to pay very much, with higher priced talent in a market like Winnipeg the increase in listeners for a sports radio station would be negligible.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I honestly can't believe the job pays that little. I would guess double that for sure. Bell is a mega-rich company.
My wife was an account manager for a major media company and the DJ's etc, even the big ones were not paid well. it was obvious. most make money from the little fame they get. the ones that make money are the ones that measurably move the needle. Toth is not one of those.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think if you're good you make your money in appearances. Hal would get around $500 for his bar gigs in the early 2000s. I bet Hustler does well in those.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
@Jet was in this business and would have a good idea of salary range. As I recall Wheeler was suing his former employer and I think his salary might have been disclosed in that release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad