1290 Radio, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
on yesterday's show, Toth said teams have to give fans a months notice if they plan to rest star players for a game so the fans don't waste money on tickets. So...yeah.

Reactions: Jets 31

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah i mean it wasn't like he was saying there is some official rule in place stating that. He was just expressing his position on how things "should" be. But it's a completely irrational position that doesn't make any sort of sense.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
yeah i mean it wasn't like he was saying there is some official rule in place stating that. He was just expressing his position on how things "should" be. But it's a completely irrational position that doesn't make any sort of sense.
I'm old enough to remember when Mario Lemieux wouldn't even come on roadtrips to Western Canada back in the Jets 1.0 era...

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I did agree that a Vladdy should have played for the Jays in Toronto on Canada day. They knew all along that was going to be a big crowd at home. They could have arranged his days off for him to miss a road game and give their fans their best team.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
on yesterday's show, Toth said teams have to give fans a months notice if they plan to rest star players for a game so the fans don't waste money on tickets. So...yeah.

I assume this was on context with Kahwi. I know a couple of times a friend of mine, big LeBron fan, went to watch the Cavs and T-Wolves and he "rested" both times. These NBA stars are big draws and I understand some level of frustration when they sit out, especially when it's not an injury and you've travelled pretty far in some cases to see them.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm old enough to remember when Mario Lemieux wouldn't even come on roadtrips to Western Canada back in the Jets 1.0 era...

Ah, I remember going to see the Penguins play the Jets in January 1993, specifically to see Mario play, and he did exactly that and I was quite disappointed. However, that was literally days before his Hodgkin's Lymphoma announcement so I'm sure that was also a factor. It was still a treat to see Jagr play when he was 20 and the Jets came from behind to win 3-2 so I was OK with it in the end.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I assume this was on context with Kahwi. I know a couple of times a friend of mine, big LeBron fan, went to watch the Cavs and T-Wolves and he "rested" both times. These NBA stars are big draws and I understand some level of frustration when they sit out, especially when it's not an injury and you've travelled pretty far in some cases to see them.

yeah but that's life. When you buy a ticket there's no assurance any specific player will be in the line-up.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Toth really has been really trying to shit on the Blues and their cap situation this year i've noticed

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
yeah but that's life. When you buy a ticket there's no assurance any specific player will be in the line-up.

I know but I'm saying I can definitely understand the frustration, especially in a superstar driven league like the NBA.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Resting stars has dissonance with sports being an entertainment business, where people pay to watch best athletes.

Makes sense for competitive advantage, though.

Load management should be either better conditioning of athletes, or managed minutes in game.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I know but I'm saying I can definitely understand the frustration, especially in a superstar driven league like the NBA.

oh of course. I can understand the frustration too. I can't understand the expectation that teams should give a month notice before sitting a guy though, lol

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the gymnastics from JT to rationalize Niku being in the AHL.... thankfully Brandon bringing some common sense imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad