TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
And after getting challenged, just says he remembers a game where Myers played left and Maurice said it worked, and that in Buffalo he played left multiple times.

No proof, examples, etc.

exactly. he does that all the time. And the position the other two put forth that he's basically refusing to accept was simply "Myers at 2nd pairing LHD probably wouldn't go well." He can't simply agree with that (completely rational) stance and move on. He has to ask "how can we know that without trying it?"

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
exactly. he does that all the time. And the position the other two put forth that he's basically refusing to accept was simply "Myers at 2nd pairing LHD probably wouldn't go well." He can't simply agree with that (completely rational) stance and move on. He has to ask "how can we know that without trying it?"

I heard that too. Toth seems to be taking on Jay Richardson's role of contrarian before he got canned. It seems to me they think in order for it to be good radio you can't agree on anything. Listening dumb, poorly informed takes is bad radio. I don't mind hearing a different opinion, but at least be informed and not just throw something on the wall on hope it sticks.

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011

Wow glad I wasnt the only one yelling at my radio yesterday. Toth was just lost and making it up... finally saying "well at some point in some game he played left defense I know it." He is just spouting off crap for the sake of it. I also cant believe Westwood stating well I watched every single game so I know everything. Um sure.

I stopped listening last year in the winter and decided to try now because this is prime time sports season. My spotify may be back on by Monday.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah but you gotta cut westwood some slack there...he's sitting across the table from Toth and has to try and debate with the guy's BS all the time. he was only saying he'd watched every game and couldn't remember Myers playing any meaningful time on his off side...

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And after getting challenged, just says he remembers a game where Myers played left and Maurice said it worked, and that in Buffalo he played left multiple times.

No proof, examples, etc.
My favorite Toth line when he’s wrong:

“I spent time coving the team and this is how Players/GMs/Agents think”.

This is a great sign you are listening to a dumb arguement.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

Toth was a dumpster fire again today. His argument that Laine would/should take 9.5 instead of 12 to just to play on a contender was hilarious. Surprised that Westwood or someone didn't mention that at that rate it works out to a 10 million hometown discount over the course of a 5 year contract. I suspect they were stunned by the stupidity of the comment.

Reactions: purdy44 and Ares

Ares

May 8, 2018

It's a wonder his co-hosts don't ever lose their patience with him. I had to close the radio and make some tea when he went on that weird rant today about Laine's next contract.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
woohoo!

Just to re-establish the important talking points...

- Jim Toth is a dope

- Eating contests don't deserve air time

- the pillow shilling is an affront to decency!

- Westwood needs to lay off the SJWing...

- Kevin O's 15 minute soliloquys stink.

- and Jim Toth is a dope.

I think that covers it.

- Kevin O's 15 minute soliloquys stink.

Every time I listen to Kevin Olszewski's solioquys, I tag the end with:

"And now you know the rest of the story."

Reactions: TS Quint

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Oh? Do tell...
- The applauding for Roberto Osuna got some back and forth between JT/Troy/Callers
- Caller told Troy he should apologize to Jim Toth b/c Myers said he played some LD. JT had an argument saying he's seen Myers play LD in WPG and BUF which Troy said is BS lol

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I heard that too. Toth seems to be taking on Jay Richardson's role of contrarian before he got canned. It seems to me they think in order for it to be good radio you can't agree on anything. Listening dumb, poorly informed takes is bad radio. I don't mind hearing a different opinion, but at least be informed and not just throw something on the wall on hope it sticks.

The Big Show has never been quite as good since the departure of Jay Richardson and then Matt Leibel. Hustler (Andrew Paterson) is sometimes the only one worth listening to on 1290.

:jets

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
No matter what they're saying on the insta-snap and the face-google, Kevin O ain't worried bout NUTHIN! Everything's cool man!

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The Big Show has never been quite as good since the departure of Jay Richardson and then Matt Leibel. Hustler (Andrew Paterson) is sometimes the only one worth listening to on 1290.

:jets
I was a big fan of Liebel. He was able to talk about something other than the Jets. As I recall Richardson used to take some strange positions on some issues. Especially during the last lock-out. He didn't seem to grasp the concept of hockey related revenue. I found like Toth, Richardson really didn't spend a lot of time informing himself on anything.

Reactions: TS Quint

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I was a big fan of Liebel. He was able to talk about something other than the Jets. As I recall Richardson used to take some strange positions on some issues. Especially during the last lock-out. He didn't seem to grasp the concept of hockey related revenue. I found like Toth, Richardson really didn't spend a lot of time informing himself on anything.

No, but he was totally willing to admit that he was a dummy about stuff. He was a funny guy and the show was a lot more of an entertainment thing rather than a real heavy sports show. The dynamic was much better than it's been since. I can remember laughing out loud lots of times on my way to work during that first year...which I haven't done since really.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Richardson would always play devils advocate to create discussion. I agree that was like Toth where they don’t back up what they are saying with anything of substance.

Liebel would at least pull in some stats into his arguements. I think he was the best host so far.

Edmunds was the worst. He didn’t know enough about sports to even try. You can tell when he went to the Jets he’s being fed info to repeat.

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
I still dont know how Paul Edmonds has a job as the play by play. The dude has 0 feel for the game, can't describe the play at all for listeners to know what's going on, and has a great colour guy in Munz. Even listening to the clips for the contest for Vegas you have no idea who's scored because the dude is all over the place.

Reactions: Spock

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I still dont know how Paul Edmonds has a job as the play by play. The dude has 0 feel for the game, can't describe the play at all for listeners to know what's going on, and has a great colour guy in Munz. Even listening to the clips for the contest for Vegas you have no idea who's scored because the dude is all over the place.

Winnipeg sports radio is a recycling program.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016

Passes it up to the winger who was streaking up the middle SHOOTING...did Wheeler from his own end. Vegas now cycles.

Wait, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad