TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Lots to criticize with 1290, but the worst has to be the Friday morning 6 pack. For the life of me I can't comprehend how 3 supposedly knowledgeable sports guys advocate for a 6 game parlay with close to a 90% house advantage. It is barely ahead of giving out today's 6 lucky lottery numbers. If you are going to do a gambling segment (which is questionable at best) at least know what the **** you are talking about.
They really ham it up for the 6 pack too - like way more animated than they are any other time. Doing voices and shouting and stuff. It's weird. I guess they have to keep your mind from wandering to the terrible odds you face with the 6 game parlay...

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Westwood was quoting Chia's and Kuli's Corsi and Fenwick from last night's game. Ruwicki didn't even know if 4% was bad or good. :facepalm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Westwood was quoting Chia's and Kuli's Corsi and Fenwick from last night's game. Ruwicki didn't even know if 4% was bad or good. :facepalm:
So many sports media are too lazy to actually do any research about the sport or team they are covering. It's pretty pathetic.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
So many sports media are too lazy to actually do any research about the sport or team they are covering. It's pretty pathetic.
I'm not sure lazy is the correct word. Stat's aren't simple, so it's possibly just beyond their capability. I'd suspect most hockey players also aren't familiar with these terms.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not sure lazy is the correct word. Stat's aren't simple, so it's possibly just beyond their capability. I'd suspect most hockey players also aren't familiar with these terms.
If you can't figure out basic shot metrics like Corsi to the point that you can understand and explain them to a media audience, then you have no business getting a paycheque as a sports media person.

Lawless didn't even know basic NHL roster rules or half of the Jets' prospects. It's his full time job...

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I'm reasonably certain B Rew was joking when he asked if that was good or bad. He and Westwood both understand corsi reasonably well. Toth otoh...

anyone catch K O's incredibly long, sanctimony-infested philosophical treatise on the Jet's 3rd jersey? holy god the guy likes the sound of his own shit...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm reasonably certain B Rew was joking when he asked if that was good or bad. He and Westwood both understand corsi reasonably well. Toth otoh...

anyone catch K O's incredibly long, sanctimony-infested philosophical treatise on the Jet's 3rd jersey? holy god the guy likes the sound of his own ****...

I think they know that over 50% is good and less is bad, but I doubt at least Westwood know what the stats actually mean.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i am hoping Rewucki was joking....i've heard him speak on Corsi/Rel Corsi and xGF/xGA before, i'd hope this was sarcasm...if not please save us

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
The media in this town......Did anybody hear Wiebe yesterday? You'd swear his take on Dano was right out of the TNSE playbook and at the same time calling out the analytic and manage the asset crowd. What I wouldn't pay to have someone stand up and say Dano didn't get a fair shake here. Just same old towing the company line from all the media. They are so afraid of losing their access. And I think Wiebe and McIntyre get excited when Maurice play fights with them. They are like school girls around the coach. It's all so pathetic.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The media in this town......Did anybody hear Wiebe yesterday? You'd swear his take on Dano was right out of the TNSE playbook and at the same time calling out the analytic and manage the asset crowd. What I wouldn't pay to have someone stand up and say Dano didn't get a fair shake here. Just same old towing the company line from all the media. They are so afraid of losing their access. And I think Wiebe and McIntyre get excited when Maurice play fights with them. They are like school girls around the coach. It's all so pathetic.

They either:

A) Can't do proper analysis, or:
B) Are afraid of losing their access, as you state.

Pablum. It's why I no longer listen to TSN 1290, unless it's pre-game / post-game stuff.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Lots to criticize with 1290, but the worst has to be the Friday morning 6 pack. For the life of me I can't comprehend how 3 supposedly knowledgeable sports guys advocate for a 6 game parlay with close to a 90% house advantage. It is barely ahead of giving out today's 6 lucky lottery numbers. If you are going to do a gambling segment (which is questionable at best) at least know what the **** you are talking about.

Wait, wait.. 90% house edge? That can't be right. Even on a highway-robbery 20 cent line, a six coin-toss parlay would pay 37.56-for-1 (= 1.83-for-1 ^ 6) on a 1-in-64 chance, which would be a "mere" 41.32% house edge. And that's if you're, like, gambling with some guy in a back alley; even cheap-ass PlayNow runs a ten cent line.

Reactions: Spock

folix

Jul 24, 2011

The NHL media gag is very very real. My buddy is a good friend with the camera guy. To put this into perspective during the first visit of Evander Kane back to the jets and everyone was in track suits and had money phones, the NHL told him absolutely NO people in track suits or money phones on the TV at all, none. If they were that anal about the track suits imagine just how bad they are about much more sensitive things like the state of officating in the NHL, or attendance and well ANYTHING that Vegas does wrong. Hell then even hushed the shit out the fact that Dallas a couple years ago needed a lone just to make payroll from the NHL. Im amazed at the draconian grip Grandmaster B and his KGB team have on the media. You are dictated to what can be said and spoken about. Anyone ever talk about the rampant use of recreational drugs in the NHL? Fleury stated that he couldnt believe just the sheer amount of players who were addicted.

Where were the mainstream reports about Vegas turning the lights off during the Jets practice? Or throwing Canadian flags in the garbage? Can you imagine if that happened in the NFL? It would be on every major news outlet and twice on well lol Sundays.

The NHL is for all intents and purposes is a very totalitarianism state, they control every single aspect of their product and even how it is perceived. Hell the "insiders" are just handshake deals allowing "offical media outlets" to receive and report NHL fed updates first. I remember just how mad Dreger was when it was leaked by an unoffical outlet that Jets were coming back and how he denied it right up to moment where the NHL told him to confirm it.

In this aspect I hate this league. I really do.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The NHL media gag is very very real.

And it's not just the league as a whole... it's specific ownership as well. We have already seen it with TNSE. Chipman moving the press away from where he sits so they can't hear what he says during the games.

What do you call a press box without press?

For what it’s worth, the Jets already took a step in that direction this season when they banished the print media to the outer reaches of the MTS Centre press box. That move came after a writer for another publication had the temerity to report something Mark Chipman had shouted during a game from his owner’s box — which sits, quite literally, in the middle of the MTS Centre press box.

I do feel a bit for outlets like TSN. It's a hard line to toe... report exactly what you see and hear you will most likely get banned from ever covering the team. So what happens, we only get the news that the team wants you to hear.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If I owed or ran a multi billion dollar organization is today's politically correct / everyone on social medias opinion is important world you better believe I would sanitize everything around my organization with a heavy hand where possible. I do not blame TNSE/NHL a bit for controlling every message they can that comes out to the public....way too much money on the line to let the company message write itself.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nobody in the media called out Dano when he came to camp out of shape for two seasons, either. I went to the Jets camp and watched Dano struggle through the fitness tests and conditioning skates in 2016 and 2017. Saying he "didn't get a fair shake" implies that he bears no responsibility for his situation, which I think is incorrect. I think it's perhaps more accurate to indicate that perhaps Maurice didn't appreciate Dano's style of play, or couldn't see how he fit with the Jets' system at this point. Quite simply, Dano got beaten out for a spot in the line-up last year by Tanev, and the Jets have decided to go with Petan, Lemieux and KV instead of him this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad