TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ugh is Westwood horrific running the Big Show.
he is. Toth is good at running the show but his opinions are head-scratching. I do enjoy Rewucki's takes and he gets more of an opportunity when either of the two are away

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I haven’t heard Kevin Omin a while and god damn I can’t do it. He interrupts Farhan Lalji on every question. Lalji is sounding like he has an informed opinion I want to hear but Kevin O won’t shut up.

Give me Westwood at the controls all day over a Kevin O interview.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I haven’t heard Kevin Omin a while and god damn I can’t do it. He interrupts Farhan Lalji on every question. Lalji is sounding like he has an informed opinion I want to hear but Kevin O won’t shut up.

Give me Westwood at the controls all day over a Kevin O interview.

Helen Keller would be an improvement over Olszewski.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think when Toth is away they should let Rewicki run things. I actually like Westwood ftmp aside from a couple little issues, but he just isn't good at running the show. Somebody else needs to be moving the topics along and so forth.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Brandon is the most informed and the best overall. He deserves better people to work along side hin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The weird part about the big show is it was at its best in the first iteration with Richardson Westwood and Libel.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The weird part about the big show is it was at its best in the first iteration with Richardson Westwood and Libel.

agreed. It's never been as good as that original group.

Listening to KO's opening Shakespearean Soliloquy just now. Guy seems to love the sound of his own voice...basically the first 20 minutes of the show is just him going on and on...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
agreed. It's never been as good as that original group.

Listening to KO's opening Shakespearean Soliloquy just now. Guy seems to love the sound of his own voice...basically the first 20 minutes of the show is just him going on and on...
He's killing time. Not enough guests to fill the show, I guess, so he's gotta pad it out with monologues.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
He's killing time. Not enough guests to fill the show, I guess, so he's gotta pad it out with monologues.
Is he practicing for the World Filibuster League? Today’s was pretty painful just to get to “But I guess I’m a little late on commenting about Nichols”

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I'm pretty sure the fellow filling in for him for the past few days didn't spend the first 20 of every show "filling time."

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not 1290 but closely related...

I listened to the "Bob Cast" Canadian team preview for the Jets earlier tonight. In the opening review of the Jets 2017-18 season Bob states that we lost in game 7 of the second round to the Predators. This is not corrected at any point. Bizarre.

Reactions: barrywpg

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Not 1290 but closely related...

I listened to the "Bob Cast" Canadian team preview for the Jets earlier tonight. In the opening review of the Jets 2017-18 season Bob states that we lost in game 7 of the second round to the Predators. This is not corrected at any point. Bizarre.

That's his retroactive wishful thinking kicking in.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The biggest problem with 1290 is they are cheap and lazy. On air talent is what it is. Every station has some good and bad hosts. So this morning the essentially replayed a 20 minute podcast twice and broke it down again for 10 minutes in the 11 o'clock hour. This and replaying an entire coaches and player scrum interviews where by they say nothing, seem to comprise a large quantity of air time. This seems to be done to avoid paying analyst interviews. Never mind the weekend shows Illegal Curve guys who I'm sure work for press passes the games. The Weigh In is un-listenable.

Reactions: FFHockey

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The biggest problem with 1290 is they are cheap and lazy. On air talent is what it is. Every station has some good and bad hosts. So this morning the essentially replayed a 20 minute podcast twice and broke it down again for 10 minutes in the 11 o'clock hour. This and replaying an entire coaches and player scrum interviews where by they say nothing, seem to comprise a large quantity of air time. This seems to be done to avoid paying analyst interviews. Never mind the weekend shows Illegal Curve guys who I'm sure work for press passes the games. The Weigh In is un-listenable.

I don't think analysts are paid by the interview. I think it's just a part of the job of being a TSN analyst.

It's a budget thing, for sure, but I don't think it's about being "cheap and lazy". It's limited money to work with, and it can show a lot of the time

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Analysts certainly get paid. Dreger, McKenzie, Lebrun all get paid to do their weekly hits.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Analysts certainly get paid. Dreger, McKenzie, Lebrun all get paid to do their weekly hits.

I would've thought it would be in their contracts to do weekly radio, not paid by the station. If that's the case, then I would again point to the minimal budget

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
And there’s the non-TSN guys like Murat Ates, David Pagnotta, Jason Cole, etc that are on regularly.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
i disagree Westwood's takes are wrong. most of the time he's pretty on the ball with stuff. Toth otoh, yeesh. did anyone hear him rationalizing the idea of playing Myers at 2nd pairing LHD yesterday? holy...he just makes stuff up out of thin air to bolster his position.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
i disagree Westwood's takes are wrong. most of the time he's pretty on the ball with stuff. Toth otoh, yeesh. did anyone hear him rationalizing the idea of playing Myers at 2nd pairing LHD yesterday? holy...he just makes stuff up out of thin air to bolster his position.

And after getting challenged, just says he remembers a game where Myers played left and Maurice said it worked, and that in Buffalo he played left multiple times.

No proof, examples, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad