TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
I still dont know how Paul Edmonds has a job as the play by play. The dude has 0 feel for the game, can't describe the play at all for listeners to know what's going on, and has a great colour guy in Munz. Even listening to the clips for the contest for Vegas you have no idea who's scored because the dude is all over the place.

Because he's cheap.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Toth giving Chevy a B+/A- for the off season
Interesting discussion this morning on the fan line. Toth maintained a B+/A/A- and sounds like most fans agreed with him. I am more on Troys side of around a C+

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Kevin O does exactly the same routine with any single issue that is in any way contentious. He adopts this sanctimonious "nothing to worry about. everything's fine. you sky-is-falling pod people are all getting worked up about nothing!" stance. Ralph used to do the same thing actually.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The Round Table sucks and always has. For one thing, the theory of a round table is that there are a few talking heads discussing current issues. Not one guy giving soliloquys.

In the early days, there were a couple of Ralph/Orlesky round tables, but that's as close as they got.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The Round Table sucks and always has. For one thing, the theory of a round table is that there are a few talking heads discussing current issues. Not one guy giving soliloquys.

In the early days, there were a couple of Ralph/Orlesky round tables, but that's as close as they got.
I completely agree. It's impossible to call it a round table with only one person. They should look at adding another host to the mix.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Heard Toth yelling at a caller (again) the other day, then a couple of minutes later make exactly the same point the caller was making. I'm sure Westwood and the other guy wear spittle masks in the booth with Toth. I know I would.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Did you like the Round Table when it was just Ryan Brandt? I think he and Rewuicki are the most knowledgeable when it comes to hockey

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Heard Toth yelling at a caller (again) the other day, then a couple of minutes later make exactly the same point the caller was making. I'm sure Westwood and the other guy wear spittle masks in the booth with Toth. I know I would.
If you ever want to hear a man scramble on-air and get called out on not knowing what he was talking about, there was an excellent example of it on the call line w/ Toth the other day lol.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Did you like the Round Table when it was just Ryan Brandt? I think he and Rewuicki are the most knowledgeable when it comes to hockey

I don't recall listening to Ryan on the Round Table. I've heard a bit of him lately on other shows, but haven't really listened and/or drawn any conclusions.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
i'd just like to comment on how utterly, completely, balls-to-the-walls stupid it is that there's some PSA running now on 1290 for firefighters that features prominently the sound of sirens in the background. At least 2 or 3 times a day I find myself searching the mirrors in my car trying to figure out where I need to be to let the approaching emergency vehicle get by...then I realize it's only that f***ing stupid radio thing again! There honestly should be a law against sirens in radio spots...

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
i'd just like to comment on how utterly, completely, balls-to-the-walls stupid it is that there's some PSA running now on 1290 for firefighters that features prominently the sound of sirens in the background. At least 2 or 3 times a day I find myself searching the mirrors in my car trying to figure out where I need to be to let the approaching emergency vehicle get by...then I realize it's only that ****ing stupid radio thing again! There honestly should be a law against sirens in radio spots...
sirens and horns should be illegal on ads. And it's the freaking fire fighters themselves!

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
i'd just like to comment on how utterly, completely, balls-to-the-walls stupid it is that there's some PSA running now on 1290 for firefighters that features prominently the sound of sirens in the background. At least 2 or 3 times a day I find myself searching the mirrors in my car trying to figure out where I need to be to let the approaching emergency vehicle get by...then I realize it's only that ****ing stupid radio thing again! There honestly should be a law against sirens in radio spots...

I agree! I have had this problem too when they play it, I immediately think there is a firetruck somewhere nearby

Reactions: drumzan and nhlpro

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
woohoo!

Just to re-establish the important talking points...

- Jim Toth is a dope

- Eating contests don't deserve air time

- the pillow shilling is an affront to decency!

- Westwood needs to lay off the SJWing...

- Kevin O's 15 minute soliloquys stink.

- and Jim Toth is a dope.

I think that covers it.
Let's just stop the segments where the "company men" Edmonds and Beyak bore the heck out of us by stating the very obvious while trying desperately not to knock the players or the organization. Those are on par with between-period player interviews for predictability, blandness and total lack of insight.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I still dont know how Paul Edmonds has a job as the play by play. The dude has 0 feel for the game, can't describe the play at all for listeners to know what's going on, and has a great colour guy in Munz. Even listening to the clips for the contest for Vegas you have no idea who's scored because the dude is all over the place.
Another pet peeve about Edmonds and announcers like him... their ever-so-phony and over-the-top play calling styles (particularly for goals). They go out of their way be the stars of the show, when their only job is to reflect the excitment on the ice. Any announcer who changes the octave on his voice and goes "He scoressssssssssssssssssssssss!" is a tool.

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Another pet peeve about Edmonds and announcers like them... their ever-so-phony and over-the-top play calling styles (particularly for goals). They go out of their way be the stars of the show, when their only job is to reflect the excitment on the ice. Any announcer who changes the octave on his voice and goes "He scroressssssssssssssssssssssss!" is a tool.

I agree, though I might add that tools have uses. Edmonds would be more useful if he were an anvil, or maybe a toilet. Imagine your toilet saying "He scroressssssssssssssssssssssss!"

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I liked Brandt. I’m not asking much here. He lets the guests talk, unlike KO who drives me nuts with his constant interruptions because he thinks he has something funny to say or runs over the guest with his own opinion.

When Brandt did have a segment to talk on his own it wasn’t preachy, sanctimonious, neutralizeing of any opinion or fact taken as a blanket statement with no real point. From what I heard hes just talked about a subject and gave the story. This shouldn’t be a difficult job.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I've stopped listening because of that Winnipeg Fire Service commercial. It should be illegal for any commercial to have sirens on the radio. Extremely frustrating.

basplit

Jan 12, 2014
I completely agree. It's impossible to call it a round table with only one person. They should look at adding another host to the mix.

Cant do that as Kev. O will always interrupt him...
Ive never heard a guy ASK a question to someone and interrupt the guy as hes answering as much as he does.
VERY annoying AND RUDE

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lots to criticize with 1290, but the worst has to be the Friday morning 6 pack. For the life of me I can't comprehend how 3 supposedly knowledgeable sports guys advocate for a 6 game parlay with close to a 90% house advantage. It is barely ahead of giving out today's 6 lucky lottery numbers. If you are going to do a gambling segment (which is questionable at best) at least know what the **** you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad