TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Toth seems to think Trouba going to arbitration is a way of Trouba saying give me a prove it deal so I can prove im worth X$ on a long term deal. Given that arb is daunting and extensive, I am sure there could have been a 1 year prove it deal worked out to avoid it

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Toth seems to think Trouba going to arbitration is a way of Trouba saying give me a prove it deal so I can prove im worth X$ on a long term deal. Given that arb is daunting and extensive, I am sure there could have been a 1 year prove it deal worked out to avoid it
It also gives Jets some cap room this year if they need to add at the deadline in another cup run.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Actions speak louder than words. I haven’t seen actions that say he wants to be here long term. Just because he has a few more brain cells than Kane and is willing to play nice to make it easier to be moved isn’t giving me reason to believe he wants to stay.

Jim Toth being the only person, as far as I know, saying he wants to be here long term is no better than someone calling in and saying their dentist’s receptionist said it’s going to happen.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I am no fan of Toth but his info is accurate. He has a very good source on this one.

Perhaps the player would price himself out of the Winnipeg market with value and term but that is the CAP era. The Jets have lots of big fish but only so much food to feed them. There are other locations/markets with smaller fish that have enough food to feed a big fish lots of food long term.

I still believe there is enough fish food for this fish long term - Perhaps some other older oft injured fish need to leave the tank to make room.

Of course negotiations and roster compositions are always in fluid motion and most anything can happen but I still see #8 being here for the long haul.
Nice try Jim.

Reactions: purdy44 and koth

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Jim Toth: <<cue outrage>> "But thats what I'm saying!" (backpedal, stumble, mispronounce, factual errors, self-extrication protocol cold-start fail)

Other hosts: <<cue crickets>> "Um..."

Jim Toth: "TSN, 1290." (sotto voce, using a triumphant I-told-you-so tonality)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lawless - for all the (IMO mostly undeserved) flack he got on this site - was the one guy at 1290 with really good NHL sources.

I love Ralph as a radio host, he's by far my favourite host TSN has ever had, but he doesn't have the network/solid rep that Lawless had (has).

(Lawless was also a good writer. Not in his takes/positions he wrote about - I disagreed with him plenty - but in terms of actually writing.)
I thought Lawless had poor or no inside information about the Jets, didn't do any work to understand the CBA, Jets' prospects, etc. Instead of asking questions, he liked to give long opinionated preamble statements, so you often didn't get useful info from his interviews. Murat Ates is by far the best media person that's covered the Jets, and I don't mind Wiebe. The worst guy covering the Jets now is Wiecek because he has an axe to grind and somehow thinks that being provocative for the sake of provocation is a useful contribution.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I thought Lawless had poor or no inside information about the Jets, didn't do any work to understand the CBA, Jets' prospects, etc. Instead of asking questions, he liked to give long opinionated preamble statements, so you often didn't get useful info from his interviews. Murat Ates is by far the best media person that's covered the Jets, and I don't mind Wiebe. The worst guy covering the Jets now is Wiecek because he has an axe to grind and somehow thinks that being provocative for the sake of provocation is a useful contribution.

Lawless may have had difficulty with the CBA and strong opinions but his sources were really good. He often texted Bill Daly directly during the show and got answers to questions. He became fairly close with KO sports as well, often texting and emailing KO and getting direct answers and even interviews. I have often thought that Lawless has been Toth's source for the most recent Trouba dealings. I believe Toth's ideas on the Trouba contract situation coincided with Lawless's appearance in Winnipeg during the WCF. Of course, this is pure speculation.

Lawless has league sources as TNSE is pretty tight lipped!

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Lawless may have had difficulty with the CBA and strong opinions but his sources were really good. He often texted Bill Daly directly during the show and got answers to questions. He became fairly close with KO sports as well, often texting and emailing KO and getting direct answers and even interviews. I have often thought that Lawless has been Toth's source for the most recent Trouba dealings. I believe Toth's ideas on the Trouba contract situation coincided with Lawless's appearance in Winnipeg during the WCF. Of course, this is pure speculation.

Lawless has league sources as TNSE is pretty tight lipped!
I always wondered if Morrissey is Toth’s source. Think I recall Toth mentioning the two go back to Morrissey’s junior days. Big show interviews him weekly. Don’t think 1290 has ever had a weekly spot with a current Jet before that. I could be wrong though...just a pure guess.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Toth's source is Gary Lawless. Lawless is buddies with Overhardt, and Toth tweeted that info on Trouba when Vegas and Lawless were in town last season.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Man iHeartRadio blows chunks.
I was using Tune-In at work the other day and it forced an advertisement on me that took up the full size of my phone. It was a large naked lady bending over. So, I’m in the market for a new streaming app. I get that it’s a free app and everything, but c’mon...keep it PG.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I was using Tune-In at work the other day and it forced an advertisement on me that took up the full size of my phone. It was a large naked lady bending over. So, I’m in the market for a new streaming app. I get that it’s a free app and everything, but c’mon...keep it PG.
Lol “lady”

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Behemoth.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I caught a few minutes of the BS this morning - just enough to hear Toth completely talking right out his arse about Trouba. I don't really know what point it is he's trying to make. I guess it just comes down to him needing to double down on his "inside scoop". He keeps saying stuff like "I still firmly believe Jacob Trouba wants to be a winnipeg jet. I just think it comes down to the money." Jim...saying he wants to play in winnipeg, but he wants to be paid 20% or more higher than what reasonable comparable players are getting is essentially exactly the same as saying "I don't want to be in Winnipeg." Toth suggested maybe the 7 mil ask that they were apparently after wasn't a starting negotiating point but rather a firm number they wanted and would not budge from. If that's the case, good riddance.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I caught a few minutes of the BS this morning - just enough to hear Toth completely talking right out his arse about Trouba. I don't really know what point it is he's trying to make. I guess it just comes down to him needing to double down on his "inside scoop". He keeps saying stuff like "I still firmly believe Jacob Trouba wants to be a winnipeg jet. I just think it comes down to the money." Jim...saying he wants to play in winnipeg, but he wants to be paid 20% or more higher than what reasonable comparable players are getting is essentially exactly the same as saying "I don't want to be in Winnipeg." Toth suggested maybe the 7 mil ask that they were apparently after wasn't a starting negotiating point but rather a firm number they wanted and would not budge from. If that's the case, good riddance.

Sounds like you missed the part where Toth said if the Jets don't sign Vesalainen after two years he goes back into the draft, just like CHL players.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Its at times like this that I am glad I managed 1290 out of my morning life.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
There is very little to talk about right now in sports.
Summer should end already.. God dammit summer, I want Hockey back..

e79f79f8778199ce7365797792f1ce70--hockey-memes-hockey-quotes.jpg

Reactions: Hollywood3

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I am still blown away that Winnipeg has a 24 Hour radio sports channel.. all the complaints...guys really...talk about First World Problems... is it perfect... no... I particularly dislike all the U.S College rebroadcasts early in the morning...but heck having a dedicated radio station inWinnipeg, with the majority of the talk about a Winnipeg Freaking NHL team... seriously

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am still blown away that Winnipeg has a 24 Hour radio sports channel.. all the complaints...guys really...talk about First World Problems... is it perfect... no... I particularly dislike all the U.S College rebroadcasts early in the morning...but heck having a dedicated radio station inWinnipeg, with the majority of the talk about a Winnipeg Freaking NHL team... seriously

It isn't that it is less than perfect. It is that it is less than any good at all. If they went off the air tomorrow I wouldn't miss them a bit.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Simple Radio is the app I use. I have Tune In for a couple music stations, seldom used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad