TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
all I listen to nhl network and yes they repeat alot in the summer. but still way better. boomer coming out with his gm report cards soon. kept giving chevy good grades till last year when he said he was through with waiting on the jets. and after that later in summer 1 hour previews on each team.
Did you catch the 1 hour segment on the making of the movie Slapshot? I was listening out at the lake prior to the UFA opening and they had it on and it was very interesting and pretty funny. Made me think 1290 should add in this type of content rather than just repeating parts of earlier shows.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
To be honest I don't really care for the show. I don't like any of the 3, though I find Rewicki the least annoying. I don't disagree with your perspective on Toth, but his "dopiness" for me is easier to listen to than Westwood's dismissive and over the top preacher stances. I prefer a more conversational style, where 2 guys build off each other and are regularly funny when they bring in the real world into the sports discussion. Problem is the really talented guys are the national guys in the US and they never talk about the Jets. Lately (last few months) I've found a bit of a happy medium and have been listening more and more to the NHL network. They do repeat a lot though, especially in the summer.

Agreed ftmp. I just think if you remember back to when Richardson was the host the show was very much what you indicate liking. Guys talking around sports, lots of humour, and bringing in general “pop culture” stuff and riffing a bit. I think Westwood (aside from the times he gets on a SJW thing) has become more annoying because of Toth. Westwood is not good at all in the host role, but he’s ok as second banana if the host is good.

I’ve been listening a lot less than in the past myself actually. Was on holidays a couple weeks back and realized at the end of the week that I hadn’t listened at all that week!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am finding life more enjoyable now that I started listening to podcasts in the car. I am about a month and a half free from 1290 and it was the right choice for me.

Reactions: DRC and mondo3

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I didn't catch the whole debate, someone can correct me, but the boys on the big show were debating Couturier vs Scheifele's seasons this year and Jim was saying Couturier was only a 76 pts in 82 gp guy and Scheifele is a ppg player and it sounded like his stance as he'd take the PPG player no matter how better defensively the other guy is. it's a difference of 6 points lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Perfect example of Toth dopey is right now in the first segment of the show. He starts talking about how he was on a show in Vancouver yesterday talking about the status of the Trouba deal and he gets on this notion that there’s something “fascinating” about the fact that several players over the years have wanted to get out of Columbus. Westwood and rewicki are like “duh” and liken it to Winnipeg. Toth doesn’t see how it’s like Winnipeg. He goes on for ten minutes about it without ever actually making it “fascinating” in any way. Acts like there’s something strange about the other 2 not being amazed about it. It’s just a weird take that lacks any particular insight but he tries to sound like he’s really on to something...

Westwood is too emphatic at times (it’s often because he gets annoyed at Toth though, lol) but at least there’s usually a kernel of validity to what he’s saying. There’s usually a point that you can at least wrap your head around. Toth goes on and on about whatever stupid thing pops into his head and it’s pretty much always a total non-thing. And, he very-annoyingly argues his position by simply re-telling the original story that started the conversation 3 or 4 times...completely ignoring the several minutes of conversation that have happened since. He doesn’t have a conversation. He states a position. The other 2 pretty much lay waste to that position. He re-states the same position. The others destroy it again. They do that one more time, then he re-states his original position again, says they’ll take calls on it later and goes to commercial. Westwood’s head explodes. :laugh:
I can only imagine the incisive and trenchant insights he provided to Vancouver listeners about the Trouba situation... :sarcasm:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I can only imagine the incisive and trenchant insights he provided to Vancouver listeners about the Trouba situation... :sarcasm:

hah...I believe he said his basic comment re: Trouba was "nuthin to see here. Move along."

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Toth is frustrating.

This morning’s conversation about Leonard/DeRozen trade. I’m paraphrasing, but basically, Toth doesn’t like the deal because the Raptors may not have anything next year at this time if he walks. Too much risk.

Troy and Brandon’s position are they get the risk, but because Kawhi is a top 5 league talent, you accept that risk.

Toth backpedals and says he likes the trade, he’s a great player. Then in same breath says maybe the Raptors should’ve acquired a lesser player, one that might stay around longer. Troy counters with but you’re getting a top 5 player and the Raptors core needs an overhaul and proved it couldn’t win anyway.

Toth agrees, and Leonard is a great player and can see why you make that deal. Then says, they should have traded for a lesser player.

My point is, he flip flops his opinion all the time. In the same sentence. Have a position, explain it, and if the counter position makes sense you can change your mind. But don’t have a position, backpedal, bring your position forward again, backpedal, wash, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: SensibleGuy

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Toth doesn't know too much. They're arguing negotiations.
It's funny listening to callers repeat exactly what's written on hf jets.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No way are they HF members, they're too smart :laugh: :sarcasm: (kidding!)

honestly, the fan line is usually quite terrible, it makes sense since it is usually "average" Jets fans

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Listening to Kevin O's nasally replacement and his sidekick. They sound like fans doing an amateur podcast from the basement bedroom, but still immensely better than that putz KO.

Last edited:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Toth is frustrating.

This morning’s conversation about Leonard/DeRozen trade. I’m paraphrasing, but basically, Toth doesn’t like the deal because the Raptors may not have anything next year at this time if he walks. Too much risk.

Troy and Brandon’s position are they get the risk, but because Kawhi is a top 5 league talent, you accept that risk.

Toth backpedals and says he likes the trade, he’s a great player. Then in same breath says maybe the Raptors should’ve acquired a lesser player, one that might stay around longer. Troy counters with but you’re getting a top 5 player and the Raptors core needs an overhaul and proved it couldn’t win anyway.

Toth agrees, and Leonard is a great player and can see why you make that deal. Then says, they should have traded for a lesser player.

My point is, he flip flops his opinion all the time. In the same sentence. Have a position, explain it, and if the counter position makes sense you can change your mind. But don’t have a position, backpedal, bring your position forward again, backpedal, wash, rinse, repeat.
Toth is a complete clown. No idea how he is still employed in the industry.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Toth is frustrating.

Toth plays devil's advocate all the time. He openly argues sides he doesn't believe it and it leads to conversations like this constantly.

Reactions: wgpsensfan and Ares

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Toth plays devil's advocate all the time. He openly argues sides he doesn't believe it and it leads to conversations like this constantly.

that's what some people think. I don't. He's not just playing devil's advocate. He's that much of a blockhead.

This morning he's saying "I still believe my source that Trouba truly wants to stay in Winnipeg. I think if the Jets were to offer him a long term deal for 7 million per he'd be happy to stay."

lol. Jim, there's a big difference between "I want to stay in Winnipeg" and "I want to stay in Winnipeg as long as I'm over-payed."

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
that's what some people think. I don't. He's not just playing devil's advocate. He's that much of a blockhead.

This morning he's saying "I still believe my source that Trouba truly wants to stay in Winnipeg. I think if the Jets were to offer him a long term deal for 7 million per he'd be happy to stay."

lol. Jim, there's a big difference between "I want to stay in Winnipeg" and "I want to stay in Winnipeg as long as I'm over-payed."
when has 1290 broken anything? Didn't they say Elliot and Sastny purchased or were purchasing houses here in back to back off seasons? I am skeptical of any legitimate sources Toth having

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
when has 1290 broken anything? Didn't they say Elliot and Sastny purchased or were purchasing houses here in back to back off seasons? I am skeptical of any legitimate sources Toth having

Lawless - for all the (IMO mostly undeserved) flack he got on this site - was the one guy at 1290 with really good NHL sources.

I love Ralph as a radio host, he's by far my favourite host TSN has ever had, but he doesn't have the network/solid rep that Lawless had (has).

(Lawless was also a good writer. Not in his takes/positions he wrote about - I disagreed with him plenty - but in terms of actually writing.)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Toth is going to die on this hill that Trouba wants to be on the Jets long term. Just embarrassing himself.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Toth is going to die on this hill that Trouba wants to be on the Jets long term. Just embarrassing himself.
He always qualifies it by saying he will stay if he gets the money he is seeking from the Jets. seems to me JT/KO are trying to price themselves out of WPG, similar to RyJo/KO vs CBJ

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

I am no fan of Toth but his info is accurate. He has a very good source on this one.

Perhaps the player would price himself out of the Winnipeg market with value and term but that is the CAP era. The Jets have lots of big fish but only so much food to feed them. There are other locations/markets with smaller fish that have enough food to feed a big fish lots of food long term.

I still believe there is enough fish food for this fish long term - Perhaps some other older oft injured fish need to leave the tank to make room.

Of course negotiations and roster compositions are always in fluid motion and most anything can happen but I still see #8 being here for the long haul.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I am no fan of Toth but his info is accurate. He has a very good source on this one.

Perhaps the player would price himself out of the Winnipeg market with value and term but that is the CAP era. The Jets have lots of big fish but only so much food to feed them. There are other locations/markets with smaller fish that have enough food to feed a big fish lots of food long term.

I still believe there is enough fish food for this fish long term - Perhaps some other older oft injured fish need to leave the tank to make room.

Of course negotiations and roster compositions are always in fluid motion and most anything can happen but I still see #8 being here for the long haul.
Sounds fishy to me.

Reactions: YoyiBear and Ares

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

How do you know his source is good? What's your source?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Every man and his dog has an infallible source about Trouba's intentions. Half of them say "staying" and half of them say "going" but they're all infallible.

My source is fallible. But I don't think there is a snowball's chance that he is here beyond 2 years. And the cap says he won't be here beyond 1 year. Keeping him that 2nd year would require ejecting someone else. Someone good, not a depth player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad