Post-Game Talk: #12: FLYERS 3 at Ducks 2, Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018, 10:00 p.m. ET

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I hate everything.

HOW ABOUT THE GUY WHO SCORED THE WINNING ****ING GOAL.

Moranis_3_embed.jpg

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
No, it's not a big deal if you just think about last nights game. But what kind of message does it send to these players. You get one guy who now is at Allentown because coach thought he didn't play with effort. You bring up a guy who does those things and you would think there would be some kind of reward, but no. It's pretty clear by now Hak doesn't communicate well with his players, he has said so himself, so how are these young players supposed to know what to do if you don't get any reward for doing things the right way?

Edit. And not knowing what/when your doing well leads to uncertainty and poor play. And you should not forget that playing bad leads to cutting of minutes, sitting out games or demotion, are you still surprised many of our young players seem hesitant on the ice? I'm not.
Where as hagg developed nicely cause he never has to worry about anything. When he played bad he got moved up to the first pair. They need to move him back to left d. He looks miles better there

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
It's not uncommon for a non-first round pick who gets called up mid-season to not see a lot of ice time in his first few games. NAK has to prove that he can contribute effectively at this level, which I feel he did last night (Though I was expecting closer to 7 - 10 mins not 5:44). I didn't get to see a lot of the 3rd, but in the first two periods he looked just as he did in the AHL, showed some defensive aptitude and was a bit of heady play when the puck was on his stick or in the offensive zone. All he can do is play well in the minutes he's received and hope Hak moves him up the lineup (which I don't know if that actually gets you more playing time or not). It will be a shame if he sits for Goul next game.

Regarding Weise -- He's played much better than last season, but he hasn't played well enough to be receiving more ES time than Lindblom, Laughton and Simmonds. He was up around 13min, that's 2nd line playing time. You have to imagine that it's related to NAK not receiving as much icetime, but I think you can spread out the icetime better than that. I'm not going to be too upset by that just yet, but if in 3-5 games NAK (if he's still here by then), is receiving less than 8-10min a game, then I'll change my tone.

Sticking on the theme of ice time - Hagg received 17 min at ES. I think Hagg is a fine 5/6 (and he's playing better than last season, at least by eye test, haven't looked at fancies in a while), but sending him out there for 17 min at ES is not going to win you hockey games long term. Because of his lack of offensive abilities (and I don't want to hear about his assist tonight -- anyone at the point at that specific time gets that assist -- throwing the puck down the boards does not show offensive instinct) his impact on the game is pretty minimal. Meanwhile, Hak has Sanheim and Ghost but he refuses to play in the third period because of what I can only assume is old timey thinking that offensive minded defensemen cannot play defense well. Sanheim has been on of the better defenders on the team. His ability to keep the puck out of his zone, or move it out of his zone when there's forecheck pressure is amazing to watch - only person who does it better is Ghost.

I know there's a lot of negativity in this post, but I am happy they won. It's just not a sustainable model. Play your best players who make the biggest impact more often and you'll see better results. There's no reason why Folin should be getting more icetime (sans injury of course) than Ghost, Sanheim or Gudas.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I do want to say, I think the Dale Weise thing really is a troll job by the Flyers. We know they know who we like and dislike. We saw it with Flip last year. Dave getting mad at people for disliking MacD and now Dale getting the player of the game when, ya know, the guys who scored and won it for us don't. Wouldnt be surprised it was because Dave moved him up to the 3rd line, saw the backlash but decided to give Dale the helmet to try and show people "he was amazing tonight"

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I do want to say, I think the Dale Weise thing really is a troll job by the Flyers. We know they know who we like and dislike. We saw it with Flip last year. Dave getting mad at people for disliking MacD and now Dale getting the player of the game when, ya know, the guys who scored and won it for us don't. Wouldnt be surprised it was because Dave moved him up to the 3rd line, saw the backlash but decided to give Dale the helmet to try and show people "he was amazing tonight"

You see, when you go to the tape it all makes sense.
jim-carrey-selfie-scotch-tape.jpg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Not a fan of it either but players give the helmet out. They probably feel he has battled his way back from being waived and then promoted to the third line. They probably wanted to give him a little credit for his work. That’s probably what happened here.

Everybody knows exactly what happened here - Hakstok, in his love and empathy for garbage players, having been one himself, patted himself on the back by rewarding the garbage player he promoted to the third line by placing the Death Star on top of his Moonhead. It's very simple.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Way better effort from the gang tonight. Played team d and took the body and hould have scored 7 or 8 goals but that the first step in getting rolling. Now dont throw an islanders game in there with no effort and we'll be alright. Baby steps people.

Reactions: Sweetbutt

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
HAHAHAHAHAAHHHAHAAAAAA

-TK got benched for Simmonds at the end of the game!
-Simmonds played more than Patrick, Lindblom, Laughton, and TK!
-Sanheim only played 14:10!!!!!!!! Less than Hagg and Folin?!?!
-Patrick only played 1:12 more than Weal!!!
-PP scores and then gets switched back before the end of the game!
-Hakshell again!

Hak got saved by the same skill he hates so much. That's gotta be embarrassing for him.

At this point, if you defend the coach then you simply don't want the team to win because he's actively trying to make them lose.

His treatment of TK is infuriating.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The nitpickers are out in full force.

Anaheim was playing soft and we took full advantage. In some ways it was more like a scrimmage, but still a good "practice" season to get ready for San Jose saturday. Kings may be why Goul is on the trip.

Fourth line played badly despite the effort of NAK, that, and it was his first game on the West Coast (and he was hyped) explains his low minutes, all three had low minutes - and they were the only line to give up more scoring changes than they created.

Third line was much better, their problem was they played like the 4th line last year, possession, scoring chances but unable to close the deal. Neither Simmonds or Weise can score anymore and Weal does everything but finish.

Second line was great, Voracek had one of his best games, including a backcheck to break up a high danger scoring chance, but he simply is a below par shooter, you're not going to score on every shot, but that weak ass stuff . . .

First line looked like they have their mojo back.

Hagg played because he's an effective pairing with Provorov right now, if it works, don't fix it.
Eventually I expect Provorov and Ghost back together, but Hagg has definitely made big steps this year.
Sanheim's ES minutes are puzzling, since he looked much better than Gudas. Wonder if he was dinged?
Folin has nailed AMac to the bench until he's sent down to make room for Morin, Myers or Friedman.

Weise has two weeks before JVR returns, then PT will be hard to come by.
NAK will get a long look, if he gets sent back he'll return in the spring, but I think Hextall wants him to win a job.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Scroll down his feed and you'll see why Weise got more minutes than Laughton.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqyTatpU8AEq83M.jpg:large

Or checkout these numbers:

Lehtera CF 50.99, CFrel +2.55, xGF 57.32, xGFrel +11.28, HDCA/CF 23-15
Weise CF 48.18 CFrel -3.92, xGF 62.52, xGFrel +12.35 HDCA/CF 22-9
Laughton CF 41.28 CFrel -9.89, xGF 45.96, xGFrel -2.49, HDCA/CF 19-20
Simmonds CF 40.74 CFrel -11.22, xGF 39.76, xGFrel -11.75, HCDA/CF 13-29

Though it's a SSS, I don't think Lehtera will sustain this and I wouldn't trust Weise.
But when the alternatives aren't exactly blowing your socks off, go with the ones playing well for now.
DqyTatpU8AEq83M.jpg:large
DqyTatpU8AEq83M.jpg:large

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Gostisbehere played 18:10 with 4-5 minutes of that on the PP.

The team won in spite of the coach. Helps, too, that the Duck are led by Carlyle.

Hextall should be paying attention to the late goal allowed instead of the W
players win despite the coach you say and they also f***in stink to even if the coach left. Trades

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The nitpickers are out in full force.

Anaheim was playing soft and we took full advantage. In some ways it was more like a scrimmage, but still a good "practice" season to get ready for San Jose saturday. Kings may be why Goul is on the trip.

Fourth line played badly despite the effort of NAK, that, and it was his first game on the West Coast (and he was hyped) explains his low minutes, all three had low minutes - and they were the only line to give up more scoring changes than they created.

Third line was much better, their problem was they played like the 4th line last year, possession, scoring chances but unable to close the deal. Neither Simmonds or Weise can score anymore and Weal does everything but finish.

Second line was great, Voracek had one of his best games, including a backcheck to break up a high danger scoring chance, but he simply is a below par shooter, you're not going to score on every shot, but that weak ass stuff . . .

First line looked like they have their mojo back.

Hagg played because he's an effective pairing with Provorov right now, if it works, don't fix it.
Eventually I expect Provorov and Ghost back together, but Hagg has definitely made big steps this year.
Sanheim's ES minutes are puzzling, since he looked much better than Gudas. Wonder if he was dinged?
Folin has nailed AMac to the bench until he's sent down to make room for Morin, Myers or Friedman.

Weise has two weeks before JVR returns, then PT will be hard to come by.
NAK will get a long look, if he gets sent back he'll return in the spring, but I think Hextall wants him to win a job.

It isn't nitpicking when its the same crippling issues for 270 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad