GDT: 12/31/14 Panther vs Rangers You Wanted The Best, You Got The Best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So, we're not taking care of the teams ahead of us in the standings(except DET, don't know what that's about). This team still has another step to take if it wants to be in the dance. Slow starts, PP must improve greatly. Can Gallant coach them into it?

We beat Toronto, which was probably the most important out of all of them.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
That's how it's gonna be for now. If we want a true scorer, you have to give up part of the young core which is what Tallon raves about all day. There's no way he'd do it.

ok sure. i'm not trying to start something here, i'm just recognizing what he's saying. :) nuffin more, nuffin less.

edit/add: it would be fun if we could get one of those leads tho (no matter which way we get it, i could be macK with the hatter i don't care)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
ok sure. i'm not trying to start something here, i'm just recognizing what he's saying. :) nuffin more, nuffin less.

Yeah, I understand. I'm just pointing out in response to Potvins point that it's gonna be that way for the foreseeable future.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
The players will always say "Yeah, we need to come ready to play" or "yeah, we need to have better starts", but time and time again, game after game, they have bad starts or come out with bad efforts / no energy. It just makes no sense. Are they just trying to sound good for the interviews? They know they need better efforts or better starts but never come out like it. It's so frustrating to hear them acknowledge their bad starts or effort and then continue to come out like crap in the 1st period most nights.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Ha, fair enough.

You're still way too harsh on him.

I agree. But if my dislike for his play is going to become a running joke on here than you can bet I'm going to have the most fun with it. I'm not trying to be negative. I'm very optimistic. I don't think he's good but I also don't think he's THAT bad or that it's really that big of a deal.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Holy crap the over reactions in this thread. In this 6 in 5 they'd played all teams in front of them lost to the Pens, beat the Pens in a SO, beat the leafs, SOL to the Habs, and lost to the Rags on the last of a 3 in 4. So they got 5 in 5. They've had points in 8 straight at home. Am I happy with the loss no but FFS they aren't going undefeated they are going to lose some games. It's not the end of the world they lost to the Rangers. And guess what guys have bad games it happens. They were slow tonight, made sloppy passes and had a bunch of unforced turnovers as long as they don't string a bunch these together they will be fine. Huberdeau is getting constantly bashed and he's got 15 points in his last 21 games. Olsen is the 6th D guys that are stellar aren't 6th guys they make mistakes. I'm more pissed nobody laid out Nash for what he pulled on Kopecky than I am we lost as Soupy says mr WWE needs a chair broken over his head.:sarcasm:

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Holy crap the over reactions in this thread. In this 6 in 5 they'd played all teams in front of them lost to the Pens, beat the Pens in a SO, beat the leafs, SOL to the Habs, and lost to the Rags on the last of a 3 in 4. So they got 5 in 5. They've had points in 8 straight at home. Am I happy with the loss no but FFS they aren't going undefeated they are going to lose some games. It's not the end of the world they lost to the Rangers. And guess what guys have bad games it happens. They were slow tonight, made sloppy passes and had a bunch of unforced turnovers as long as they don't string a bunch these together they will be fine. Huberdeau is getting constantly bashed and he's got 15 points in his last 21 games. Olsen is the 6th D guys that are stellar aren't 6th guys they make mistakes. I'm more pissed nobody laid out Nash for what he pulled on Kopecky than I am we lost as Soupy says mr WWE needs a chair broken over his head.:sarcasm:

Yeah fine Huby has 15 in 21 but how good has he looked over those 21 games?

I could give you a same scenario with Mika Zibanejad in Ottawa, People bashing him for not producing like he should and all of a sudden he scores 4 goals in 6 games or something like that.. What happens next yeah he goes cold for 10-15 straight games.

Same goes for Huby way to inconsistent!

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
one of the worst games we've played all season.

I'm not sure I truly understand the Olsen debate.

Olsen sucks, that's pretty obvious, but is the pro-Olsen crowds logic just that this team has far bigger issues (scoring) than replacing a #6 d-man? Because I can agree with that.

As a player though, he stinks. He's a fringe NHLer, and wouldn't be a top-6 d-man on a real contender. bottom pairing defensmen are doing their job when you don't notice them...and unfortunately, you tend to notice Olsen far too often. the only difference this year to last is he has Luongo back there to bail him our more often than not, unlike last year where we had a rotating clown-show in goal with Thomas/Clemmensen/Ellis/Markstrom

I assume the hope is internally that someone in San Antonio can come up and replace him next season, although it's pretty disappointing Petrovic's development isn't going as well as everyone had hoped.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bolland-Barkov-Hayes
Gudbranson-Kulikov

Gallant better come up with that same PP unit in the coming games or I'll be pissed.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Bolland-Barkov-Hayes
Gudbranson-Kulikov

Gallant better come up with that same PP unit in the coming games or I'll be pissed.

Agreed. I was a bit skeptical at first when I saw it because of Bolland, but it looked solid.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
anything to get jussi j of any line with barkov..:shakehead

It's funny because Barkov and Jokinen both have vastly better possession numbers when they are not on the ice together. No idea why they're ever put together, even besides 5v5.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Agreed. I was a bit skeptical at first when I saw it because of Bolland, but it looked solid.

anything to get jussi j of any line with barkov..:shakehead
Yup, that was the main reason why that line worked. Normally Barkov would just play in front of the net, as if he's some bottom6 scrub that just gets PP time because of his size. Well look what happened when Barkov actually played the role he's supposed to do.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
It's funny because Barkov and Jokinen both have vastly better possession numbers when they are not on the ice together. No idea why they're ever put together, even besides 5v5.

Yup, that was the main reason why that line worked. Normally Barkov would just play in front of the net, as if he's some bottom6 scrub that just gets PP time because of his size. Well look what happened when Barkov actually played the role he's supposed to do.

funny thing is how we all thought jokinen would be perfect for barkov pre-season :laugh::laugh:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I was at the game and it was a miserable experience. I'd say 50-50, between Panthers and Rangers fans but it was how Florida played that killed the fans early on. Sitting through every single annoying chant was nauseating. They did every chant, the Henrik chant and the hey hey hey chant. Ugh, just nauseating.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Bolland-Barkov-Hayes
Gudbranson-Kulikov

Gudbranson does not belong on the PP. He has zero composure with the puck. Bjugstad should take his spot. I don't know why we haven't tried 4 forwards.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Don't overreact to one loss.

Rags are a good team. However, effort and intelligent play is the one thing the Panthers can still control no matter who the opposition is.

The power play sucks, maybe its time to simplify transition into the offensive zone. Either keep cycling the puck back into the neutral zone to gain entry or dump and retrieve the puck. All the problems on the power play can't be solved at the same time, but gaining possession of the puck in the attacking zone is the most important part of the equation to solve. Sometimes it seems as if the none of the players know what their role is supposed to be on the power play.

Its up to the coaching staff to create a simple PP strategy with roles, then put the correct players in those roles and have them practice it.

Am I crazy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad