GDT: 12/31/14 Panther vs Rangers You Wanted The Best, You Got The Best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I only saw part of this game, but what was with the line combinations? Seemed kinda random and thrown together.

Started off with

Killer B's
Flash - Bjugstad - Hayes
Jokinen - Bolland - Upshall
Huberdeau - Mac - Trocheck

They were switched up a lot. Don't think there were really any set lines tonight.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Gudbranson does not belong on the PP. He has zero composure with the puck. Bjugstad should take his spot. I don't know why we haven't tried 4 forwards.

Yep. He scored a goal opening night vs. Tampa off the point and I think that's all Gallant needed to see. I'm tired of seeing Guddy on the point during the PP. He never hits the net and the puck always goes wide or high, it's unbelievable. He has a really hard shot, but it's way too inaccurate to be of any worth.

We need to take a page out of the Lightning and Caps playbook. Have Bjugstad as the 4th forward on the point or at the faceoff circle and set him up for 1 timers like Ovi and Stammer. Bjugs has scored that way before and he's got a big accurate shot. No reason why it wouldn't work.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
One way to cure the pp right off the top of my head is get better point shooters. It has been all Ekblad, but he needs help. Maybe make a move for a guy after the roster freeze. What about a guy like TJ Oshie. He possesses a great slapshot. It's hard and he can get it through. He's also an asset in the shootout. The more and more I think about it, the better it feels. I'd explore that route if I were DT.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
One way to cure the pp right off the top of my head is get better point shooters. It has been all Ekblad, but he needs help. Maybe make a move for a guy after the roster freeze. What about a guy like TJ Oshie. He possesses a great slapshot. It's hard and he can get it through. He's also an asset in the shootout. The more and more I think about it, the better it feels. I'd explore that route if I were DT.

The freeze has been over for days now. Lasted from the 19th-27th. Oilers made a trade the other day.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Don't overreact to one loss.

Rags are a good team. However, effort and intelligent play is the one thing the Panthers can still control no matter who the opposition is.

The power play sucks, maybe its time to simplify transition into the offensive zone. Either keep cycling the puck back into the neutral zone to gain entry or dump and retrieve the puck. All the problems on the power play can't be solved at the same time, but gaining possession of the puck in the attacking zone is the most important part of the equation to solve. Sometimes it seems as if the none of the players know what their role is supposed to be on the power play.

Its up to the coaching staff to create a simple PP strategy with roles, then put the correct players in those roles and have them practice it.

Am I crazy ?

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Watching this team on a nightly basis, you'd think they don't practice the powerplay because they've seemingly tried nothing different except changing the personnel on each powerplay unit. It's crazy. The powerplay is just so bad and so unorganized, I don't know why they're not trying different things like a 4th forward or setting someone up for a 1 timer from the faceoff circle, etc. There's gotta be something that'll work for this team. With guys like Jokinen, Barkov, Ekblad, Bjugstad, and others, this PP should not be as bad as it is.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The Cats looked so out of sync tonight, amazing we got 2 goals.
When your legs are heavy from 3 games in 4 nights this is what you get. Teams are going to have bad games and teams are going to have losing streaks. It happens. The key is to be in the mix with 10 to go and bring it home. If injuries or lack of execution derail us, then we just try and build off the success we had this year and apply it to next season.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Well I'm sure he has explored it. In fact if you believe internet rumors, he definitely has. The only question is the price. I've said it before, to get Oshie you need to trade a core guy. That's why it hasn't happened.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
This IMO is what is keeping the Panthers from being a playoff team. We are hard working, we can be physical, we have goaltending, but we don't have many shooters who can one-time a shot at the point. It's always delay delay delay, hesitation, fumble/lose the puck, shoot wide, shot blocked, bad or too many passes, etc.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
yeah, bjugstad at the point makes too much sense

put ekblad with campbell on the PP; bjugstad/kulikov on 2nd pairnig

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Rags are a good team. However, effort and intelligent play is the one thing the Panthers can still control no matter who the opposition is.

The power play sucks, maybe its time to simplify transition into the offensive zone. Either keep cycling the puck back into the neutral zone to gain entry or dump and retrieve the puck. All the problems on the power play can't be solved at the same time, but gaining possession of the puck in the attacking zone is the most important part of the equation to solve. Sometimes it seems as if the none of the players know what their role is supposed to be on the power play.

Its up to the coaching staff to create a simple PP strategy with roles, then put the correct players in those roles and have them practice it.

Am I crazy ?

No. The PP sucks. Sure we scored a PP goal tonight, but overall we don't seem to have a clue on the PP. That needs to improve.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Watched about half of this one. Didn't even seem like the Panthers were interested, weird line combinations. I called it, a bad game when Montoya was in net.

On the plus side Florida hasn't lost 3 in a row all year and Buffalo has regressed completely again, so...

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Too bad the Jets are in the playoff hunt. Would of loved to get Big Buff at a slight discount.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Am I crazy ?

The team simply isn't able to carry the puck into the attacking zone. They just faithfully dump the puck, while hoping that the opposing team don't give a **** and they'll win the race for the puck. Unlikely that Gallant will do anything in the near future since we've had this problem since day one and, thus, we just have to bare with the intolerably inefficient PP. The other teams' coaching staffs must the having a blast with scouting the Cats PP-strategy.

Crying for a some 30+ goal scorer won't solve anything: Gallant will put him under the same system which we're witnessing atm. And for players delaying and hesitating with plays during the PP... well, Gallant could simply tell the players to shoot immediately when there's chance to do so and stop ****in' around with the puck.

If a player being on the ice during goals scored, then Hayes sucked even more than Olsen with his -3. ;)

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Gudbranson does not belong on the PP. He has zero composure with the puck. Bjugstad should take his spot. I don't know why we haven't tried 4 forwards.
Guds might be average at handling the puck, but he's pretty good at keeping the puck in the zone because of his reach. And while his shot is wildly inaccurate, it's still a shot that the opposing PK respects and it creates space for the 4 other guys. They just need to learn how to take better advantage of that said space.

No. The PP sucks. Sure we scored a PP goal tonight, but overall we don't seem to have a clue on the PP. That needs to improve.
The two main problems that I can see, are the zone entry and handling the puck like a hot potato if they do end up getting possession.

We have more than enough guys (Bjugstad, Barkov, Bergy, Ekblad to name a few) that could drive the zone with a few minor passes of course, slow it down and look for an open man. It just seems the team is so set on the dump&chase that they aren't even trying that method.

Then there's the hot potato case if they manage to get possession. The passes they make are hasty and easily predictable, like no one wants to hang on and try to slow things down.

Kuli made a good example play last night of what you're supposed to do (I can't recall whether this was on the PP that lead to the Hayes goal or not..), he faked a pass near the bench instead of just trying to squeeze it through to the forward, that would have probably led to a board battle that we would've lost. Instead with the fake pass he did, Kuli managed to get the PP set up and passed it on to Guds.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Guds might be average at handling the puck, but he's pretty good at keeping the puck in the zone because of his reach. And while his shot is wildly inaccurate, it's still a shot that the opposing PK respects and it creates space for the 4 other guys. They just need to learn how to take better advantage of that said space.

The two main problems that I can see, are the zone entry and handling the puck like a hot potato if they do end up getting possession.

We have more than enough guys (Bjugstad, Barkov, Bergy, Ekblad to name a few) that could drive the zone with a few minor passes of course, slow it down and look for an open man. It just seems the team is so set on the dump&chase that they aren't even trying that method.

Then there's the hot potato case if they manage to get possession. The passes they make are hasty and easily predictable, like no one wants to hang on and try to slow things down.

Kuli made a good example play last night of what you're supposed to do (I can't recall whether this was on the PP that lead to the Hayes goal or not..), he faked a pass near the bench instead of just trying to squeeze it through to the forward, that would have probably led to a board battle that we would've lost. Instead with the fake pass he did, Kuli managed to get the PP set up and passed it on to Guds.

I recall Pirri being decent on the PP last season. As in he didn't handle it like a hot potato. Maybe when he isn't scratched we should give him a go there. :dunno:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Agreed.

Had a great time hanging with you, pantherhfboy and Jeff Schaefer
During the game.

Hope we make the playoffs so we can party like its 2012!

Really nice meeting you and your son (aka AG Jr) & CH.
Was sitting with some season ticket holders in 314 and had some good talks. you could tell it was Montoya in net last night, and not Luongo. Rebounds were kicking out left and right everywhere.

It was funny I was starting to chirp Fleischmann for having a bad game, and then he scored. And then I went off on Bolland for playing poorly and he got an assist.:laugh:

Definitely didnt deserve 2 points last night. Looked like a team that needed to get back on the road. Hopefully our PP gets it together!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Really nice meeting you and your son (aka AG Jr) & CH.
Was sitting with some season ticket holders in 314 and had some good talks. you could tell it was Montoya in net last night, and not Luongo. Rebounds were kicking out left and right everywhere.

It was funny I was starting to chirp Fleischmann for having a bad game, and then he scored. And then I went off on Bolland for playing poorly and he got an assist.:laugh:

Definitely didnt deserve 2 points last night. Looked like a team that needed to get back on the road. Hopefully our PP gets it together!

Likewise, yer brother too. You should come back whenever you can.

Cubano played great, made a pile of killer kickers. I think Lu might done a lil better on the straight shots that weren't screens like McDs blast.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The team simply isn't able to carry the puck into the attacking zone. They just faithfully dump the puck, while hoping that the opposing team don't give a **** and they'll win the race for the puck. Unlikely that Gallant will do anything in the near future since we've had this problem since day one and, thus, we just have to bare with the intolerably inefficient PP. The other teams' coaching staffs must the having a blast with scouting the Cats PP-strategy.

Crying for a some 30+ goal scorer won't solve anything: Gallant will put him under the same system which we're witnessing atm. And for players delaying and hesitating with plays during the PP... well, Gallant could simply tell the players to shoot immediately when there's chance to do so and stop ****in' around with the puck.

If a player being on the ice during goals scored, then Hayes sucked even more than Olsen with his -3. ;)
I think the coaches are telling to shoot. They tell them to direct the puck to the net. I recall an article about how the players come back to the bench after not shooting and getting upset about not shooting. Apparently this goes on all the time. :facepalm:
Plus, this over passing crap has been going on for a few years now, it has nothing to do with Gallant.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I think the coaches are telling to shoot. They tell them to direct the puck to the net. I recall an article about how the players come back to the bench after not shooting and getting upset about not shooting. Apparently this goes on all the time. :facepalm:
Plus, this over passing crap has been going on for a few years now, it has nothing to do with Gallant.

Constantly looking for that perfect shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad