Post-Game Talk: 11/6/19 | #13 red wings @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The whole "is Strome a 2C" argument will be for naught because Chytil will take that spot soon enough.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
4 pages of arguing about Ryan Strome. Cool

Glad we won this one but this was one of those cases of the other team being worse than we were, goaltending included. Watching us try to get out of our zone cleanly made my eyes bleed, and Brady Skjei was absolutely garbage. The amount of times this dude ripped it high and hard off the glass for an icing was honestly sad. He can't skate the puck out and can't make an outlet pass. He's going to be one of the biggest problems for this team moving forward and the sample size of him being garbage has gone on way too long now for me to believe this isn't just what he is at this point. Which really sucks for the future of this team.

Also, Trouba with another pretty bad game. He's definitely in a little bit of a funk, needs to get back to how he was playing the first 8/9 games
Funny. I was thinking they were really quite good getting out of their own zone in a controlled manner. Nice little passes and right out. In fact I think they’ve been improving at this under Quinn. They used to just dump the puck to center all the time hoping to fetch it - and usually dump and chase into the offensive zone.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
A win is a win! I’m very happy I’m not a Detroit fan. That team is in BRUTAL shape right now.

This post game thread is BRUTAL. It’s 3 plus pages arguing about Ryan Strome. Don't we have player discussion pages designed specifically for this?
It feels like that team has been rebuilding for ten years. Abs what do they have to show for it? I know Larkin is good. But after him, who is there? Do they have good prospects somewhere? If not, what a disaster.

Reactions: bl02

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Stevie Y has his work cut out for him.

That team is....
tenor.gif

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The whole "is Strome a 2C" argument will be for naught because Chytil will take that spot soon enough.
Maybe. The kid shows flashes of high-end skill, for sure, but he still seems a way away from being able to do it shift-to-shift on a nightly basis. And even if he does get there, there's no guarantee he gets there before someone like Zibanejad or Strome who put it together around 24 and who accomplished more at the same point than Chytil is at.

I like Chytil a lot, but it's still an optimistic projection to call him the future 2C. IMO, anyway.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Pay your super stars, your centers and your righty Dmen. Those are the hardest things to find in this league.

People want to write off Strome because he didn’t fit the long term plan in our heads. But he’s Mika’s age. He’s coming into his own just like Mika has at the same age. Heck we saw brassard do it too. This guy has top 5 draft pedigree. This isn’t out of nowhere. I think he’s a 3C ideally behind Mika and Chytil. I’ve always had Howden as a 3 or 4C long term so I have no problem with him playing 4th line mins.

the thing scaring people is overpaying Strome. But I tend to think he’d take less to stay here. He’s seen his career bounce around. I think he wants to make his mark here.

with Mika back:

Panarin Zibanejad Kakko
Kreider Chytil Buchnevich
Lemieux Strome Fast
Smith Howden Lias
Strome’s a funny guy. He doesn’t dominate. He doesn’t make the crowd go “Oooooh”. But he’s generally in the right spot - offensively and defensively - can win a puck battle, win a face off. He’s just an ultra quiet good player. He looks great passing to Panarin, too. (Ok, who wouldn’t?! But still).

Reactions: NCRanger and bl02

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Maybe. The kid shows flashes of high-end skill, for sure, but he still seems a way away from being able to do it shift-to-shift on a nightly basis. And even if he does get there, there's no guarantee he gets there before someone like Zibanejad or Strome who put it together around 24 and who accomplished more at the same point than Chytil is at.

I like Chytil a lot, but it's still an optimistic projection to call him the future 2C. IMO, anyway.
?????
Are you saying both Stome and Mika accomplished more at 20 years old than Chytil?
If you watch this kid play, at least since the call up, it is hard to not be optimistic. He has high end skill and vision, which is something that you can't teach. It would be a tremendous disappointment if he didn't reach, at least, becoming a 2C.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I've really liked Chytil since he joined the Rangers this year. Things I was concerned with before, compete level, being physically engaged, and willingness to get to dirty areas and battle have all been erased so far. If he can continue this I have no problem calling him the 2c on this team.
Kakko has really found his feet and Buch is starting to get that compete he had at the end of last year. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
?????
Are you saying both Stome and Mika accomplished more at 20 years old than Chytil?
If you watch this kid play, at least since the call up, it is hard to not be optimistic. He has high end skill and vision, which is something that you can't teach. It would be a tremendous disappointment if he didn't reach, at least, becoming a 2C.
Well, yeah. Strome at his age 20 season scored a half a PPG in his 37 NHL games and absolutely dominated the AHL in the rest of his games. Zibanejad also played at a .5 PPG pace at age 20. Based on their North American professional production, I think it's fair to say they both were ahead of Chytil at the same age.

But that wasn't my main point--my main point was that those two guys didn't really hit their stride until they had been in the league for multiple years (Strome's first full year nothwithstanding, as he regressed from there). So to say that Chytil will take the 2C spot "soon enough" is IMO a big assumption, since while I do think he has the ability to do so, it's far too early to say it will be anytime soon. It could be in a couple years. Or it could be this year; he needs to start producing consistently, though, before I'm ready to commit to him being the #2. I definitely think he can do it, but when he's ready is a different story.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Please make it stop! Skjei isn't anywhere near as bad as you are making him out to be. Of course he makes some mistakes, so does EVERYONE. Tony D and Fox are beloved on this board, myself included, but they make defensive gaffes every game. Point is that every player has their strengths and weaknesses. Skjei's weaknesses aren't nearly as bad as many here state.
Take a look around the league's second pairing D. How many teams would love to have Skjei on their second pair? Lots!

If anything, i tend to be way more forgiving than most with our dmen. I remember endlessly going to bat for Rosival and others through the years.

Brady Skjei is flaming trash. Best case scenario is that he plays well enough to hold down the fort until some prospects develop, and then Seattle kindly takes him off our hands.

That, or someone makes a bad trade right now, rolling the dice that he still has #1D potential.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I wanna complain about Panarin not looking as active lately as earlier in the season. But he's casually putting up (deserved) points, with Strome and Fast as his linemates, so whatever.
Man, Panarin is some kind of forechecker with his stick. That guy creates a ton of turnovers. Was certainly doubting that much of an investment but he puts out a lot of effort.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I didn’t recognize more than four it five names on that Detroit team. Do they have a guy named Roenick, btw? And many of their players names are just simple exclamatory sounds.

Edit: I checked the box and saw “Hronek”. Mystery solved. Thought they had Roenick’s kid, there.
This came up probably a half dozen times in the GDT. It made me feel "ehn".

Reactions: egelband

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Strome’s a funny guy. He doesn’t dominate. He doesn’t make the crowd go “Oooooh”. But he’s generally in the right spot - offensively and defensively - can win a puck battle, win a face off. He’s just an ultra quiet good player. He looks great passing to Panarin, too. (Ok, who wouldn’t?! But still).

And yet this fanbase hates him (Strome). We're a funny group I tell ya.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
And yet this fanbase hates him (Strome). We're a funny group I tell ya.

I don't think the fanbase hates Strome. You have a very small % of fans who make significantly more noise than others and tend to lead the charge on this stuff. Then they go absolutely silent when their incessant negativity and doomsday predictions don't come to fruition.

Reactions: 28BHM

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Detroit are so unbelievably awful.

I don't think the fanbase hates Strome. You have a very small % of fans who make significantly more noise than others and tend to lead the charge on this stuff. Then they go absolutely silent when their incessant negativity and doomsday predictions don't come to fruition.
You say as this thread is at least 3 pages of mostly uninterrupted Strome praise with not one person saying he had a bad game or criticizing him.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It feels like that team has been rebuilding for ten years. Abs what do they have to show for it? I know Larkin is good. But after him, who is there? Do they have good prospects somewhere? If not, what a disaster.

They've been rebuilding for one year longer than the Rangers have. They have plenty of good prospects. Rasmussen has started the year at a PPG in the AHL. Similar to Chytil, he started in the minors after being with the big club pretty much all of last year. Veleno had a great D+1 year, though he's off to a slow start in his pro career. They have Zadina, who commonly seen as the #2 forward in the 2018 draft, but was bypassed in favor of Tkachuk and a couple of reaches (both of which seem to be doing well). He's spent most of his D+1 in the AHL and is starting his D+2 there as well. One of their more recent 1st rounders, Svechnikov, missed all of last year with an injury, but has started off this year in the AHL really well. They also drafter Seider last year, who a lot of people around here really liked when we thought he might go more towards where the Jets pick was going to be (and we still had that pick).

There's some talent there. They really haven't been rebuilding for all that long, though.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
?????

Agree. We must not forget the reason why Ottawa traded Zibanejad. They had a window of max 2 years and really needed one more top six center to go with Turris. It did not work with Zibanejad, (they tried) and there was no time to let him rehearse. The first year in New York, even I could see that Rangers tried to develop him. After he came back from his injury you could see that defense was a priority. After he figured that out, his confidence really grew. But it took almost 2 years plus some time as center in Ottawa plus a couple of seasons on the wing to make him that player. We should at least give Chytil a couple of seasons.

Reactions: egelband and The S5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad