Post-Game Talk: 11/6/19 | #13 red wings @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Because this has all the signs of a fluke. High shooting percentage, playing alongside elite talent, never produced like this before, and he’s already 26. What’s more logical? He took a huge step in development at age 26, or a fluke? It’s not like these things don’t happen. Conor Sheary, Ty Rattie, Ryan Spooner, and Vladislav Namestnikov are just some of names that come to mind, and that’s barely the tip of the iceberg.

I remember when I turned 26, I felt like it was all over for me too.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Or what if the trade was reversed and we acquired Spooner for Strome, and he was doing this for Edmonton. People would be having kittens on this board.
I'm not sure what that means, but I agree.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Because this has all the signs of a fluke. High shooting percentage, playing alongside elite talent, never produced like this before, and he’s already 26. What’s more logical? He took a huge step in development at age 26, or a fluke? It’s not like these things don’t happen. Conor Sheary, Ty Rattie, and Ryan Spooner are just some of names that come to mind, and that’s barely the tip of the iceberg.

I don’t think it has be either/or.

His shooting percentage is comically high. But he doesn’t have to be on a 30 goal, 80 point pace for it to be more than a fluke.

Even if he’s “only” a 20 goal, 40-50 point utility player, that’s not something to sneeze at.

Reactions: belford22

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I remember when I turned 26, I felt like it was all over for me too.
I’m not saying it’s over, but I’m saying that players usually don’t take a significant step in their development at that age. It doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but 25-30 is generally a player’s prime.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don’t think it has be either/or.

His shooting percentage is comically high. But he doesn’t have to be on a 30 goal, 80 point pace for it to be more than a fluke.

Even if he’s “only” a 20 goal, 40-50 point utility player, that’s not something to sneeze at.
But that’s exactly what I’m saying

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But that’s exactly what I’m saying

okay, but I think referring to it as a fluke or leading with not being sold is probably throwing people off.

I’m not sure anyone legitimately expects him to score 80 points, but 50-60 points isn’t a weird projection based on the last year of play, spread over two seasons.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
You say that because he doesn't have any razzle dazzle. He just goes out and does it. He does it with a very steady eddie mentality.
What? Not even close. I say that because he has issues controlling the puck and his decision-making needs work, among other things. I love steady guys like Lindgren and Hajek. Strome is not that steady. He’s inconsistent. The recency bias is crazy on these boards.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
okay, but I think referring to it as a fluke or leading with not being sold is probably throwing people off.

I’m not sure anyone legitimately expects him to score 80 points, but 50-60 points isn’t a weird projection based on the last year of play, spread over two seasons.
50-60 I doubt it. Maybe he’ll reach it this year, but consistently? I don’t think so. I hope I’m wrong, though. 40-45 points I can see. Nothing wrong with that. I just don’t think he’s a legit top 6 player. At best, he’s a great 3C who you can plug in to play in the top 6 in my opinion. That’s why I said he’s nowhere near as bad as some people say. But he’s also not a legit top 6 guy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
50-60 I doubt it. Maybe he’ll reach it this year, but consistently? I don’t think so. I hope I’m wrong, though. 40-45 points I can see. Nothing wrong with that. I just don’t think he’s a legit top 6 player. At best, he’s a great 3C who you can plug in to play in the top 6 in my opinion. That’s why I said he’s nowhere near as bad as some people say. But he’s also not a legit top 6 guy.

And I think that last part is where the disagreement is.

I think he’s definitely making a strong case, and not just because he’s currently producing at a point per game clip.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
What? Not even close. I say that because he has issues controlling the puck and his decision-making needs work, among other things. I love steady guys like Lindgren and Hajek. Strome is not that steady. He’s inconsistent. The recency bias is crazy on these boards.
Look at my posts about Strome even before the season began. I said he was going to surprise. No recency bias.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Fluke or not, there is literally no reason not to enjoy Strome's production so far.

That Brassard and Grabner did nothing before and after the Rangers doesn't take away from their Ranger stints.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Or what if the trade was reversed and we acquired Spooner for Strome, and he was doing this for Edmonton. People would be having kittens on this board.
Not necessarily. Namestnikov seems to be producing in Ottawa, and I only saw a couple people with minor complaints.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Look at my posts about Strome even before the season began. I said he was going to surprise. No recency bias.
Ok fine, but that’s not the point. Suddenly, everyone on these boards thinks Strome is a 2C? That’s almost as bad as everyone wanting to behead Strome for one bad play earlier in the season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not necessarily. Namestnikov seems to be producing in Ottawa, and I only saw a couple people with minor complaints.

Something tells me with Zibanejad out, Chytil starting the year in the minors, and the overall attention paid to our center position, it would’ve generated quite a bit more noise than Names.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Ok fine, but that’s not the point. Suddenly, everyone on these boards thinks Strome is a 2C? That’s almost as bad as everyone wanting to behead Strome for one bad play earlier in the season.
I actually said before the season that he was going to provide solid 2C play. He's eclipsed that currently, if anything.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
And I think that last part is where the disagreement is.

I think he’s definitely making a strong case, and not just because he’s currently producing at a point per game clip.
Be honest, how many people here would say that he’s making a case to be a legit 2C if his stat sheet said 7 points instead of 13 (all else being equal)?

Reactions: bl02 and Leetch3

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Something tells me with Zibanejad out, Chytil starting the year in the minors, and the overall attention paid to our center position, it would’ve generated quite a bit more noise than Names.
That I will concede. Agreed.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think he’s making a case for it. Is he Horvat, Hayes, or even what we hope Chytil becomes? No, he’s not.

But I feel like even if he’s a bottom 10 percent second line center, that’s still a second line center.

And I think his play over the last 12 months at least has him in the conversation for inclusion in that latter category.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I actually said before the season that he was going to provide solid 2C play. He's eclipsed that currently, if anything.
Production, not play. He’s had some good games, but he’s had too many bad games as well. Also, I didn’t see anyone come to Strome’s defense when he had bad moments/plays/games. But now that he has a good game, everyone thinks he’s a 2C?

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I think he’s making a case for it. Is he Horvat, Hayes, or even what we hope Chytil becomes? No, he’s not.

But I feel like even if he’s a bottom 10 percent second line center, that’s still a second line center.

And I think his play over the last 12 months at least has him in the conversation for inclusion in that latter category.
We will see what happens. I just think he’s too inconsistent, and his hockey IQ isn’t at a legit 2C level. He can probably do well if he’s playing with elite talent while filling in for an injured player like he is now, but that’s all I will give you. Not everyone can do that, true. I really hope I’m wrong.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Admittedly, not as many. But even that still works out to a 45 point pace, which wouldn’t be nearly as far off from the conversation as we might believe.
It’s not, but Strome is also not as good defensively as 2/3Cs usually are, so he would have to make up for it offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad