GDT: 11-1-2014 | Game #10 | Flyers @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
daaamn i think ekblad should be a calder candidate so far.
he's a contributing part of one of the nhl's best defences right now. that's pretty cool.
now i know it's a long season and anything can happen but IF he were to win the calder this season, he'll be the first d-man who'll win the same year as he was drafted since ray freaking bourque in 1980. wzp?

also seeing how happy he was when he scored made me tear up haha. i know, i'm terrible.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
daaamn i think ekblad should be a calder candidate so far.
he's a contributing part of one of the nhl's best defences right now. that's pretty cool.
now i know it's a long season and anything can happen but IF he were to win the calder this season, he'll be the first d-man who'll win the same year as he was drafted since ray freaking bourque in 1980. wzp?

also seeing how happy he was when he scored made me tear up haha. i know, i'm terrible.

Ekblad is very good offensively with the puck, and Im sure he will be one of our most productive Dmen, but in order for him to have a shot at the Calder, we are going to have to score more, to drive his assist total up.

This team really has two flaws at the moment; the special teams and goal scoring. The special teams can be corrected, but I just don't see a sniper on this team at the moment. I really do not want to dangle our 1st rounder next year, because it is in our building, but this team is close, real close, to being a playoff contender. All the pieces are there, except for that sniper, which could be had with a package consisting of our 1st next year. Combine that, with the expiring contracts coming off the books next summer, along with the youth injection, and we could see a huge swing in our success. The time is now to make that move.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yea, still a long way to go, but Ekblad has to be considered for the calder. 20+ minute guy, except when the team takes too many penalties, he looks like he's a 10 year vet out there. He makes some minor mistakes, but his good play greatly overshadoweds them.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
yeah i got a little too excited but its a good time to be a panther fan. :) ekblad is probably not even in the calder race at all right now but i said IF he was going to win.. :)
don't know how many, if any rookies at all, that are better than him in the defensive zone atm (havn't really watched any devils games so can't say anything bout severson but.. ).

edit: i mean, as i said it's a long season. he can get alot worse but he can also step up his offensive game like crazy and get into the calder talks. it goes both ways. but as pb1300 said, our whole team has to step up their offensive game to get ekblad into the calder talks.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Ekblad is very good offensively with the puck, and Im sure he will be one of our most productive Dmen, but in order for him to have a shot at the Calder, we are going to have to score more, to drive his assist total up.

This team really has two flaws at the moment; the special teams and goal scoring. The special teams can be corrected, but I just don't see a sniper on this team at the moment. I really do not want to dangle our 1st rounder next year, because it is in our building, but this team is close, real close, to being a playoff contender. All the pieces are there, except for that sniper, which could be had with a package consisting of our 1st next year. Combine that, with the expiring contracts coming off the books next summer, along with the youth injection, and we could see a huge swing in our success. The time is now to make that move.
The question is which player is actually worth a 1st rounder in such a deep draft and who is willing to deal said player. We don't want an aging superstar like what the Rangers gave up for Marty St. Louis and the guy has to be in his prime years, but the problem is the Jeff Carters of the NHL aren't always made available.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
For being so critical of Kopecky, he has really played so well this season. Playing his role well.

Kopecky-Mackenzie-Thornton is sure looking like that 4th line Boston ran forever, GREAT 4th line.

Jan 19, 2006
For anyone at the game, I remember the posts after the Devils game saying the arena looked like a dump, seats dirty etc. Has it improved since?

I'll be honest, I never noticed any of it at the Devil's game. The only dump I saw that night was on the ice. I'm not sure what any of them were talking about.

OK, there were no paper towels in the men's restroom after the 1st period, but that's been the case for years.

The beer selection has certainly improved significantly, although the prices on premium beers are cringe worthy.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I never understood the pleasure people get from lurking in opposin team's forums... you guys do understand that they will never share your point of view right?

Yes, I few times during the season go by them. Usually it's the same old bla bla.. Florida shouldnt have a NHL team, OMG how can we lose to Florida, Relocation.

There just so damn original :laugh:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
That's because he plays where he should play, in a 4th line with other 4h line players.

True but he looks a lot better in general.

Hopefully last year was just an off year. Maybe Flash can shake it off too soon.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
The trick is not to post. Which I doubt most have the willpower not to. I usually peruse the opponent's board before the game for the "easy win" comments and then if we win I'll go for the "lowly Panthers" comments. Tears are delicious.

Posting is never a good idea though. It just isn't going to be constructive. It's also kind of rude.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
**** tallon **** ownership for all these ****** character players... I want nuge and ebs and skill... I hate this character defensive discipline and work ethic!!!!

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
True but he looks a lot better in general.

Hopefully last year was just an off year. Maybe Flash can shake it off too soon.

Yeah but i think alot deppends on that he plays in a role that fits him now, hopefully can we get Upshall to a 3rd line role aswell, Im sure he will look better then.

Kawzee

Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Decided to go to the game last night. I'm a Chicago Blackhawks fan who is from Australia, in Florida for a few days. Very impressed with Ekblad. Glad to have been there for his first career NHL goal.

Last edited:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
So many good things last night. It's cool how both our oldest and youngest defensemen scored. How about that chance Tro had in the first period when he was setup by Rocco & Robak?

That penalty killing sequence we had late in the 3rd was ridiculous. On TV, it sounded really loud when we killed them. Good for all of you that go to the games and rock it!

Our defense is really tight at the moment. Guys & sticks are blocking shots and clogging lanes. Simply put, things that win hockey games. And this was one of the games you envisioned Lu having when we brought him back. We lose this game something like 5-2 in the past.

They all just need to keep being rocks back there and wait for the offense to find their way. Then we can enjoy more comfortable wins instead of always sweating them out.

-ghoste

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
For being so critical of Kopecky, he has really played so well this season. Playing his role well.

Kopecky-Mackenzie-Thornton is sure looking like that 4th line Boston ran forever, GREAT 4th line.

Same. Only AG here had faith in him (credit is due ; ). He's playing how you'd expect a soon to be UFA to play.

Props to Tallon for signing Mackenzie. He's the second best UFA he's signed after Willie Mitchell.

That fourth line was getting ice time in critical parts of the game last night and they came through huge.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Same. Only AG here had faith in him (credit is due ; ). He's playing how you'd expect a soon to be UFA to play.

Props to Tallon for signing Mackenzie. He's the second best UFA he's signed after Willie Mitchell.

That fourth line was getting ice time in critical parts of the game last night and they came through huge.

yeah i agree. i'm very happily suprised by kopecky's game so far. now, thornton is not all that good but i know what he's job is. i'd would like to see what upshall could bring to that line tho. we have plenty of talent in SA that could play on the 3rd or 2nd.

now i have to say, every single line was looking solid yesterday. hayes besides bjugstad was pretty fun to see.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
yeah i agree. i'm very happily suprised by kopecky's game so far. now, thornton is not all that good but i know what he's job is. i'd would like to see what upshall could bring to that line tho. we have plenty of talent in SA that could play on the 3rd or 2nd.

now i have to say, every single line was looking solid yesterday. hayes besides bjugstad was pretty fun to see.

Yup, I agree. I think Upshall would be a good fit there. Bergie too.

Flash despite not scoring is playing well with Jokinen. Flash leads the team in +/- with a +4 and only has one assist, lol.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Yeah but i think alot deppends on that he plays in a role that fits him now, hopefully can we get Upshall to a 3rd line role aswell, Im sure he will look better then.

Will it stop him from taking stupid penalties? Its getting ridiculous every game he takes a penalty that has nothing to do with the play. He's not breaking up 2 on 1's, he's not stopping scoring chances he's hip checking guys without the puck at the blue line. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Jan 19, 2006
Will it stop him from taking stupid penalties? Its getting ridiculous every game he takes a penalty that has nothing to do with the play. He's not breaking up 2 on 1's, he's not stopping scoring chances he's hip checking guys without the puck at the blue line. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

That is simply a false statement.

Every game he takes two penalties that have nothing to do with the play. :sarcasm:

9 games, 16 penalty minutes.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Yup, I agree. I think Upshall would be a good fit there. Bergie too.

Flash despite not scoring is playing well with Jokinen. Flash leads the team in +/- with a +4 and only has one assist, lol.

yeah i'm not impressed by flash so far. i mean, he has totally other expectations on him then some of our other young players. he's an experienced 60pts-guy who's just a shell of his former self. if this is what he's showcasing for his upcoming UFA period i'm afraid he's gonna have a hard time getting paid. at least in this league.
he was alright yesterday tho, i'll give him that. no one played bad really except for upshall perhaps but i still like him hehe. just wish he could try to stay out of the penalty box once in a while. ;)

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
That is simply a false statement.

Every game he takes two penalties that have nothing to do with the play. :sarcasm:

9 games, 16 penalty minutes.

If you are going to be a hard ass about it its really 1.78 per game :sarcasm:

I was going to put 2 but figured some smart ass would do to me what I did to you. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad