GDT: 11-1-2014 | Game #10 | Flyers @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Will it stop him from taking stupid penalties? Its getting ridiculous every game he takes a penalty that has nothing to do with the play. He's not breaking up 2 on 1's, he's not stopping scoring chances he's hip checking guys without the puck at the blue line. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

He's also the guy in the team with the second best faceoff % (58,1%), he's way more suitable for a 3rd line role.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
yeah i agree. i'm very happily suprised by kopecky's game so far. now, thornton is not all that good but i know what he's job is. i'd would like to see what upshall could bring to that line tho. we have plenty of talent in SA that could play on the 3rd or 2nd.

now i have to say, every single line was looking solid yesterday. hayes besides bjugstad was pretty fun to see.

Bad decision making, that's what he brings. If I were Gallant, I'd be furious for the constant penalties even though the emphasis has been to straighten those out of the game. And the penalties are also just plain stupid e.g. hooking in the off. zone. No denying that Upshall is a capable NHLer, but he ain't doing anything good for the team from the box. Upshall could be our Crosby, I don't care: the penalties gotta stop. Considering how much the team is doing PK-time, the other players are surely frustrated with the penalties besides Gallant. Every time I see Upshall going to the box, I see Gomer Pyle munching his doughnut while the platoon does push-ups. :laugh:

Flash shows some effort, but for some reason just can't follow through the situations. He just doesn't seem to match with the team; I don't think that he'll click with any line, but I could be wrong. At this point, I would keep Trocheck in the roster to replace Flash. Flash can't ride along with his track record while people want Tallon to resign if the team doesn't make it to the playoffs: the better player plays.

MacK shouldn't be considered our best player (besides Luongo and Mitchell) even though he is just that atm. Much of that goes to that he's constantly being used due to penalties to win the def. zone faceoffs and, thus, Barkov and co. have to wait longer for their turn.

And as side note: I think a lot of teams will be frustrated with the Cats when they don't allow many goals while the reputation indicates otherwise. Thus, Thornton needs to be on the ice to "calm" the opposition from taking liberties.

Just my 2cents...

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
He's also the guy in the team with the second best faceoff % (58,1%), he's way more suitable for a 3rd line role.

I don't disagree. He should be a 3rd liner but no matter what he has to stop taking those dumb penalties.

He takes so many penalties that when Jokinen was in the box in the third, that two guys next to me were cheering for Upshall to get out of the box and score again.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Just my 2cents...

what i ment by "i would like to see what he could bring to the 4th line" is that he's not ruining it for bjugs & huby cuz he can't keep up and is playing a role that he's just not suited for.
besides the penalties. if he was not getting called so to speak. the penalties are awful, i agree.

agree 100% about flash.

agree bout thornton too but he could sit one or two games and it wouldn't really matter offensivly. he doesn't bring anything but just that he's sort of a goon (in lack of a better word) and perhaps some leadership and experience.

edit: i mean, they need a sniper on that line. not upshall.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
I don't disagree. He should be a 3rd liner but no matter what he has to stop taking those dumb penalties.

He takes so many penalties that when Jokinen was in the box in the third, that two guys next to me were cheering for Upshall to get out of the box and score again.

Yeah but he's not the only one that takes dumb penalties, but hopefully would he take less penalties with less TOI.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
what i ment by "i would like to see what he could bring to the 4th line" is that he's not ruining it for bjugs & huby cuz he can't keep up and is playing a role that he's just not suited for.
besides the penalties. if he was not getting called so to speak. the penalties are awful, i agree.

agree 100% about flash.

agree bout thornton too but he could sit one or two games and it wouldn't really matter offensivly. he doesn't bring anything but just that he's sort of a goon (in lack of a better word) and perhaps some leadership and experience.

edit: i mean, they need a sniper on that line. not upshall.

Yeah, Upshall ain't suited, at least recently, for top6-duties. Same goes for Bergy even though last year the Bees had some chemistry. To be fair, Upshall ain't the only one spending a lot of time in the box; in my eyes, he just seems to be the only one who isn't learning.

For the next game, I'd like to see something like:
Huby - Barkov - Trocheck/Boyes
Jokinen - Pirri - Boyes/Trocheck
Bergy - Bolland - Bjugs
Kopy - MacK - Hayes
Thornton

Nick seems to be in a similar state as Flash is: flashes of skill here and there while Trocheck was engaged throughout the last game (I know, only one game though). However, Nick is able to bring the puck to the net and create some havoc.

Agree, Thornton should be the 13th player and send out to the ice when his services are needed: when the other team starts to concentrate more on boarding, cross-checking, etc instead of playing the puck.

Robak played well even though he only had about 5min of TOI.

Edit: lines.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, Upshall ain't suited, at least recently, for top6-duties. Same goes for Bergy even though last year the Bees had some chemistry. To be fair, Upshall ain't the only one spending a lot of time in the box; in my eyes, he just seems to be the only one who isn't learning.

For the next game, I'd like to see something like:
Huby - Barkov - Trocheck/Boyes
Jokinen - Pirri - Boyes/Boyes
Bergy - Bolland - Bjugs
Kopy - MacK - Hayes
Thornton

Nick seems to be in a similar state as Flash is: flashes of skill here and there while Trocheck was engaged throughout the last game (I know, only one game though). However, Nick is able to bring the puck to the net and create some havoc.

Agree, Thornton should be the 13th player and send out to the ice when his services are needed: when the other team starts to concentrate more on boarding, cross-checking, etc instead of playing the puck.

Robak played well even though he only had about 5min of TOI.

Boyes is potentially going to play on two lines!

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Same. Only AG here had faith in him (credit is due ; ). He's playing how you'd expect a soon to be UFA to play.

Props to Tallon for signing Mackenzie. He's the second best UFA he's signed after Willie Mitchell.

That fourth line was getting ice time in critical parts of the game last night and they came through huge.

Haha thanks RR.

role players like kopecky only shine on good teams.

hes not meant to be a 3rd liner. Hes NOT a 20 goal scorer. Hes NOT a center.

And thats why i like him cuz i love role players that shine. Even my avatar ws a role player who knew where to stand to score.

Also kopy has MUCH more talented linemates this yr then last, that helps a lot.

Bottom line, he and mckenzie are devloping together into shut down pk guys.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Haha thanks RR.

role players like kopecky only shine on good teams.

hes not meant to be a 3rd liner. Hes NOT a 20 goal scorer. Hes NOT a center.

And thats why i like him cuz i love role players that shine. Even my avatar ws a role player who knew where to stand to score.

Also kopy has MUCH more talented linemates this yr then last, that helps a lot.

Bottom line, he and mckenzie are devloping together into shut down pk guys.

Agreed. Now that Kopy is on the 4th line he is playing so much better. He's not put in a position where he needs to score like last year. He's been fantastic on the PK as well.

I'm really happy with Jokinen too, he's been getting a lot of points. Flash isn't "good" but he's definitely not awful either.

Its really frustrating to see Thorton on a breakaway twice. I wish Hayes would permanently occupy his position because Hayes actually has skills and could has a much better chance of scoring. Plus he's great at screening the net. I just don't really like enforcers in this day and age. Hell, the one time he had a chance to fufill his role (when Kopy and Simmonds were about to go at it), the refs broke up the fight before he could even reach them.

Jan 19, 2006
With all of the time the Panthers have spent on the PK, Kopecky has really had a chance to shine.

It's clearly a strength.

Hope we don't get to see so much of it moving forward. :laugh:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
thornton got ridiculous moves for being a 4th liner, he've had a bunch of highlight goals lol

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Its funny, but at the beginning of the season, Kopy was the one that everyone wanted to go out of our 4 forward UFAs.

But he's been better than Upshall, Bergenheim, and Flash imo.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I went to the movies with my girlfriend yesterday afternoon to watch Gone Girl (AWESOME movie btw) and I tried your ketchup on popcorn thing. She looked at my like I was nuts.

Let's just say I'm not going to be looking for you on Chopped Canada anytime soon :laugh: :P

Thanks for trying it, how was it? Just for you trying it, I will try your movie and one of your two top foods (don't feed me a line and say some gross items ha).

OT: one of my Uni classmates from broadcasting was just on the first Masterchef Canada. Raw chicken did him in on the single cooking element:help:

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Its funny, but at the beginning of the season, Kopy was the one that everyone wanted to go out of our 4 forward UFAs.

But he's been better than Upshall, Bergenheim, and Flash imo.

yes, he is. i'm the first to admit he has proven me wrong which i'm very happy for. the rest tho.. well let's put it this way. i wouldn't cry my eyes out if they were gone by 2015/2016

edit: i've been bashing flash far more then kopy tho ;D

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
i think the reason however, that we don't bash kopy as much is that he has a for more simple role on the team skillwise then bergy, upshall & flash for various reasons.
it don't take as much for kopy to be good as it does for everyone else. this is a major factor to why kopy has gained some respect here. he's a soild 4th liner. thats it

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
i think the reason however, that we don't bash kopy as much is that he has a for more simple role on the team skillwise then bergy, upshall & flash for various reasons.
it don't take as much for kopy to be good as it does for everyone else. this is a major factor to why kopy has gained some respect here. he's a soild 4th liner. thats it

Yeah I appreciate Kopy much more in his current role because that's where he belongs and he's shining right now.

Upshall on the other hand....

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
I for one would much rather Hayes next to Bjugs and Hubey for the next game.

yes i agree. then take thornton out of the line-up and put upshall there (or just bench upshall but i'd rather not. perhaps only to teach him a lesson in that case).

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
yes i agree. then take thornton out of the line-up and put upshall there (or just bench upshall but i'd rather not. perhaps only to teach him a lesson in that case).

No way am I breaking that Thornton-Mac-Kopecky line up right now, they are playing great hockey for us. I would much rather bench Upshall right now, even though he is more skilled than Thornton. If I was Tallon, I would move Flash and Upshall for whatever I can get, and keep one of Trocheck or Grimaldi up. They are young, and both have more to offer.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
If I was Tallon, I would move Flash and Upshall for whatever I can get, and keep one of Trocheck or Grimaldi up. They are young, and both have more to offer.

Columbus would be one option for a trade partner for picks/prospects now that they are suffering considerably with injuries.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
No way am I breaking that Thornton-Mac-Kopecky line up right now, they are playing great hockey for us. I would much rather bench Upshall right now, even though he is more skilled than Thornton. If I was Tallon, I would move Flash and Upshall for whatever I can get, and keep one of Trocheck or Grimaldi up. They are young, and both have more to offer.

yeah i said that they could bench upshall for a few games til he gets his shiznick staright and the rotate those two on that line?
nah, i think i'd rather have them in the farm, playing much and in important situations. they are fine in SA and the beauty of all this is that if we have an injury we always have plenty of guys to bring up from SA.

edit:.. who'll step in and do a great freaking job. then next year they'll have a place on our roster when we have lost alotta old peepz during UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad