Post-Game Talk: #1 - Rangers @ Hawks [Warning #102]

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This team is at the point of pushing against that limit and going farther. The best teams they've had are the early to mid 70's that never won a cup--the early to mid 90's that did win a cup and the current team we have now.
Let's hope they go further. This has been one of the better eras of Rangers hockey. Unfortunately it has not produced the ultimate prize. One can enjoy the moment and compare it to some awful periods in team history. Still, the lack of the ultimate prize stings.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Yeah.... Looked like a fun game between two good teams at the start of the season. Girardi was a trainwreck though.

From what I saw it seemed every time Girardi was out there the team was in trouble and the Hawks were cycling like crazy in our zone. It is worrying. I'd rather have McIlrath get minutes while Girardi sits, at least for a few games. I don't get why AV doesn't see this. A rookie D man getting minutes now would help the team in the long run. Just my 2 cents. :dunno:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Let's hope they go further. This has been one of the better eras of Rangers hockey. Unfortunately it has not produced the ultimate prize. One can enjoy the moment and compare it to some awful periods in team history. Still, the lack of the ultimate prize stings.

It's hard to win and being really good isn't always enough. Luck is almost always involved. Those early 70's team had to win three playoff series. Having a fourth series to win makes it so much harder to do. Luck is about bounces---it's about beneficial officiating calls at the right times---it's about staying injury free though having depth to fill a few holes can offset that at least a little bit. We'll have to be good enough that a bit of luck puts us over the top. Two years ago--we didn't have the serious injuries which helped get us to the finals. Last year we got the injuries but made it into the final four and if we'd been able to score a couple goals in game 7 vs. TB we'd have been into the finals again.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Anytime we lose it's a disaster of epic proportions. Culprits have to be found and executed.

Even when we win--it's always got to be complete and utter domination or there will be grumbling about this guy or that. Some people are naturally negative and/or morose.

It should be expected when you're facing a really really good team that there are going to be times when the opposing team controls the play more--it should be expected actually even against more average and some of the worse teams. I don't ever remember even the real deal dynasty teams like the 70's Canadiens, the early 80's Islander teams, the late 80's Oiler teams winning all their games. From my perspective the current core on the team we have now has had one of the best sustained periods of something approaching excellence in the last 40+ years. I started following the Rangers during the early 70's when they had numerous HOF'ers. The Rangers have never really sustained a real contending team for longer than 4-5 years. This team is at the point of pushing against that limit and going farther. The best teams they've had are the early to mid 70's that never won a cup--the early to mid 90's that did win a cup and the current team we have now.

It could be so much worse than it is. I would tell Rangers posters here to enjoy it while it lasts.

I completely agree 100% with all of the above.

We share all those same memories and during the same time period as well. Hopefully this year they can add another cup to that.

We shall see..

Until then I couldn't be more excited to see game 2! :cheers:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm cutting Girardi some slack from last night. On the turnover that led to the goal, he was draped by three Hawks and literally had no where to go with the puck. Stepan wasn't in great position either to receive an outlet pass. Also, on one of his shifts where he and McD were getting hammered in the d-zone, Stepan's stick broke, and when he tried clearing it with his hand, the puck didn't get out of the zone.

He wasn't good last night, but he definitely was better than Staal and Boyle.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm cutting Girardi some slack from last night. On the turnover that led to the goal, he was draped by three Hawks and literally had no where to go with the puck. Stepan wasn't in great position either to receive an outlet pass. Also, on one of his shifts where he and McD were getting hammered in the d-zone, Stepan's stick broke, and when he tried clearing it with his hand, the puck didn't get out of the zone.

Staal was crap last night but I disagree.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's hard to win and being really good isn't always enough. Luck is almost always involved. Those early 70's team had to win three playoff series. Having a fourth series to win makes it so much harder to do. Luck is about bounces---it's about beneficial officiating calls at the right times---it's about staying injury free though having depth to fill a few holes can offset that at least a little bit. We'll have to be good enough that a bit of luck puts us over the top. Two years ago--we didn't have the serious injuries which helped get us to the finals. Last year we got the injuries but made it into the final four and if we'd been able to score a couple goals in game 7 vs. TB we'd have been into the finals again.
Do not disagree. That said, I do not lump in goal scoring with luck. And the reasoning for lack of goals has been debated on here well before I took off for my summer sabbatical from this place.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

He deserves some slack. Same can be said about Staal & McD.

I posted this in the DG Thread also (Hope that's allowed Mods)

Dan Girardi

Ankle Bursitis

What is it?

Bursitis (ber-SEYE-tis) is swelling and pain of a bursa. A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that acts as a cushion or shock absorber between a tendon and a bone.

Medical Care:

You may need surgery to remove the bursa or part of your ankle bone. Surgery is usually not necessary unless the bursitis is very bad and does not heal with other treatments.

What happens after surgery?

Recovery time is usually many months. Non-operative treatments usually take about three to six months before symptoms resolve. Often surgical patients will need several months in a protective boot and crutches before they can walk without crutches or a walker. Physical therapy is often required to help restore mobility and strength to the repaired tendon. It may take surgical patients a full year before symptoms resolve.

Maybe this will put thing into perspective. If you need links, Google is your friend..

BarbaraAlphanse

No line up changes for Friday. I expect some dirty hits and brawls. Mcilrath and maybe glass will be in on Saturday.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I don't want them to be peeking in Game 1...

How they played was fine. Hank looked good... Kreider, Miller and Lindberg looked great IMO.

Couple of brain farts and some running around... I mean at one point Brass tripped over Nash I think...

It happens in Game #1.

Glad they won.

Not worried in the slightest.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@rangersreport: From reporters in Chicago, Vigneault said Lundqvist will start both games vs. Columbus.”

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Won a hard game to win. Can't complain with the outcome. Really wanted them to take this after that ridiculously excessive pageant of BS before.

Boyle I usually like but he was bad. He made some awful passes straight to the other team.

For all the stuff he gets, Yandle was by far our best d man. Dylan needs to get time if everyone but Yandle and Klein are going to be underwhelming.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
From what I saw it seemed every time Girardi was out there the team was in trouble and the Hawks were cycling like crazy in our zone. It is worrying. I'd rather have McIlrath get minutes while Girardi sits, at least for a few games. I don't get why AV doesn't see this. A rookie D man getting minutes now would help the team in the long run. Just my 2 cents. :dunno:

My god. Girardi had a bad game ONE, but the fact that you want Mcilbust to step in and eat up his first line minutes is the kinda of statement that makes me do a double take.

Perhaps you will be right, maybe AV will finally get it that Mcilbust deserves first pairing minutes after one epic pre-season playing against AHL caliber players. Who knows ? I have been wrong before.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Am I the only one who didn't think Girardi was any worse than McDonagh or Staal? Danny had the one bad turnover that led to a goal. But McD made three or four much more egregious turnovers in the middle of the ice that thankfully didn't bite us. I thought Girardi made some really nice short outlet passes in his own zone and was generally pretty good with the puck. Definitely had some struggles as the game went on, but it's game #1, these guys will work the kinks out.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Didnt the Rangers turn Hjarlmassonnsoshjarllm inside out like 3 times. I dont think Chicago is ready to bench him just yet.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
My god. Girardi had a bad game ONE, but the fact that you want Mcilbust to step in and eat up his first line minutes is the kinda of statement that makes me do a double take.

Perhaps you will be right, maybe AV will finally get it that Mcilbust deserves first pairing minutes after one epic pre-season playing against AHL caliber players. Who knows ? I have been wrong before.

G had one bad game, out of one, so far this season, after having an entire season of bad games.

BarbaraAlphanse

I just don't get how people go into games expecting "brawls"

I think people just want it.

Uhhh. Every game last year they were dirty and hit our top guys when they weren't paying attention.

Nash's sudden decline started after the late Dubi hit last year.

Dubi, hartnell, clarkson, prout, Bourque. All of these guys play w a dirty edge. Dubi will bring it cause he is still POed about being traded. The other guys just stir the **** for no reason.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

While I (and probably most of HFNYR posters) would agree with your sentiment, referring to McIlrath as a bust negates any logic or reason from your post. Cheers!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Girardi probably should have just tried to trap the puck along the boards and get some help rather than try to pass it through Toews but what can you do.

Didnt the Rangers turn Hjarlmassonnsoshjarllm inside out like 3 times. I dont think Chicago is ready to bench him just yet.

Daly was the real weak link I think. Kreider turned super nintendo chalmers inside out on that one rush but chalmers stayed with him enough to keep Kreider from getting much on the backhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad