Post-Game Talk: #1 - Rangers @ Hawks [Warning #102]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Nice win. Actually pretty big win for a Game #1 with all of the hooplah on the road. Nice job boys.

Its crazy that this one seemed like a playoff game and its the first game of the year. Two very good teams. But they are all important.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Yeah well...2014 cup finals might have been different if they could have held onto some leads...

God, that was the most infuriating thing about that Final. We screwed up the one thing we've been the best at, and it cost us a Cup.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The bottom 6 looked good enough that even I his biggest fan would be comfortable with them waiving Glass at this point. But just to be safe they should probably keep him and his cap ht on the roster for the next 10 or 81 games.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I wonder if Boyle goes for a mid draft pick within the month. Like a 3rd or 4th. Diaz up. Mcilrath in.

If defense doesn't improve, Staal out, Skjei in.

Yandle-Mci become 2nd pair by end of oct.

Skjei-klein 3rd pairing.

10.2 mill off the books. Staal brings back scoring help.

Keep 1. Let them finish their career here. We need that influence in the locker room. The work ethic. The mentality.

But we can't keep both. And Boyle. Woof. Can't believe we let Stralman go for this guy.

Boyle for a 3rd. Need a top 6 forward coming back for Staal. Give them Etem and the 3rd we got for Boyle, too.

A winger from Det? JVR? A winger from SJ? Where will Staal accept a trade to? And does that team have pieces that fit what we need.

I like this move, actually... I think Diaz could flourish if given easier minutes...

McDonagh-Girardi
Yandle-McIlrath
Diaz/Staal-Klein
Diaz/McIlrath

Puts us back at 7 defensemen, Diaz is more than capable of those minutes. Klein's already outplaying Boyle, and is on a cheaper/better contract...

The big thing is replacing the players on the right side which is why it's unlikely Girardi is going anywhere anytime soon...sure, if McIlrath can come in and play that side after Boyle leaves then great, but he's like the only RD prospect the Rangers have that's anywhere close to ready. Mayyyyybe if Andersson or Zamorsky can take some big steps this year in the AHL and force their way onto the team as a kind of Dan Boyle replacement then you have much more leeway on how you perceive moving guys like Girardi and Klein, but I think both of those prospects have a lot to prove at this point still.

That said, probably not much is going to happen during this season with those players, this is more long range thinking and probably goes in the other thread, but the bottom line is the Rangers are going to need some more prospects to step up and will have to make some tough decisions about long time vets and available cap space. I also suspect the Rangers are crossing their fingers the cap can somehow take a jump next season that helps them out a bit

They're also probably expecting an expansion draft upcoming to lose some untradeable players...

While I agree Girardi isn't going anywhere, I would love to see both him AND Staal shipped out... However, given that Skjei should be able to step into 3rd pairing minutes later this season, plus assuming Staal's pedigree, it's more than possible that Staal can be shipped out as soon as this trade deadline, especially if his play is suffering, then he may want out anyways...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ugh, forgot about the potential expansion draft...damn that's gonna suck, I'm sure they'll lose someone we all wish wasn't leaving

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
LOL

2u5s5e1.png

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Ugh, forgot about the potential expansion draft...damn that's gonna suck, I'm sure they'll lose someone we all wish wasn't leaving

we'll basically lose our 4th line and Girardi... so I'm not worried about that... I believe an expansion draft would be in the 2017 offseason, which is the same year Girardi's clause drops anyways, so he'll be gone regardless...

Staal will be traded first though, especially with Skjei knocking on the door... Add to that Boyle suffering and McIlrath playing up to 2nd pair minutes AND having chemistry with Yandle, Staal is going to be a 3rd pairing defenseman at this point, which means there's a possibility he'll want out anyways.

Sending Staal away leaves:

McDonagh-Girardi/Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Diaz-Girardi/Klein

Sign a cheap UFA 7th dman or recall summers temporarily. After that, pull Skjei up when he's ready mid-year...

Put Klein on the top pairing. Girardi is so ****ing bad at that level.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Yeah well...2014 cup finals might have been different if they could have held onto some leads...
It's crazy when you watch the third period of game 6 v Montreal after Moore scored, not only did the team lock **** down on D but they just kept piling on the offense

LA was much better than Montreal obviously, but those third period shells are gonna haunt this fan base if they don't win a cup in the next decade :laugh:

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
It's crazy when you watch the third period of game 6 v Montreal after Moore scored, not only did the team lock **** down on D but they just kept piling on the offense

LA was much better than Montreal obviously, but those third period shells are gonna haunt this fan base if they don't win a cup in the next decade :laugh:

Add that in with the kings who cares if we're down we're going to win mentality and it was a recipe for disaster. The only team i didnt want to play out of the west and we got them:shakehead

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Add that in with the kings who cares if we're down we're going to win mentality and it was a recipe for disaster. The only team i didnt want to play out of the west and we got them:shakehead
Yup people on hfboards say we were screwed whether we got LA or Chicago. I liked our chances against Chicago then and I still like them now. What could have been :(

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Yup people on hfboards say we were scared whether we got LA or Chicago. I liked our chances against Chicago then and I still like them now. What could have been :(

chicago would've been so much easier.. we got beat up by the kings cuz they were bigger and physical.. chicago we would've just used our speed to get around them 24/7

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Love this place... oh the posts calling out the D...

Dan Boyle is old for Hockey, some level of concern is warranted. Other than that...Rangers have one of the best bluelines in the world....the known universe even.

1 game... they will be gellin by 15

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Dan Boyle is old for Hockey, some level of concern is warranted. Other than that...Rangers have one of the best bluelines in the world....the known universe even.

Those same posters are quick to neglect the fact that 3 of the D are coming off of very serious injuries and still out performed the Hawks D.

With that said, they faced the best team in the league and got the win so I'm not worried in the least. It's only game one.

I would like to switch Miller and Hayes though. Miller seems to want it more than Hayes right now.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
I love how people are *****ing and acting like it's Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. It's game one of the season people...calm down! We still beat the Stanley Cup Champions (with Patrick Kane) and beat them in their own building. I loved our forward lines. Yes the Brass-Nash-Zucc line stunk, but do you honestly think they are gonna play like that every night? Some players start out slow no matter what the team. They will find their stride. Look at the fact that our 3rd and 4th lines DOMINATED Chicago's. That spells depth to me. Once the top 2 lines figure it out, we will be deadly

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

They already look more solid than early the last couple of years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Those same posters are quick to neglect the fact that 3 of the D are coming off of very serious injuries and still out performed the Hawks D.

With that said, they faced the best team in the league and got the win so I'm not worried in the least. It's only game one.

I would like to switch Miller and Hayes though. Miller seems to want it more than Hayes right now.

Anytime we lose it's a disaster of epic proportions. Culprits have to be found and executed.

Even when we win--it's always got to be complete and utter domination or there will be grumbling about this guy or that. Some people are naturally negative and/or morose.

It should be expected when you're facing a really really good team that there are going to be times when the opposing team controls the play more--it should be expected actually even against more average and some of the worse teams. I don't ever remember even the real deal dynasty teams like the 70's Canadiens, the early 80's Islander teams, the late 80's Oiler teams winning all their games. From my perspective the current core on the team we have now has had one of the best sustained periods of something approaching excellence in the last 40+ years. I started following the Rangers during the early 70's when they had numerous HOF'ers. The Rangers have never really sustained a real contending team for longer than 4-5 years. This team is at the point of pushing against that limit and going farther. The best teams they've had are the early to mid 70's that never won a cup--the early to mid 90's that did win a cup and the current team we have now.

It could be so much worse than it is. I would tell Rangers posters here to enjoy it while it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad