Post-Game Talk: #1 - Rangers @ Hawks [Warning #102]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Here's a typical example of what I mean about lack of physical players.

CBJ's Jared Boll is one tough dude, and here he crushed someone into the boards. Tomorrow we'll have nobody who can deal with this guy if he runs that crap.

Klein and Kreider have both dropped the gloves in the past when necessary. I'd rather have a full lineup than a 4th line liability.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

CBJ's Jared Boll is one tough dude, and here he crushed someone into the boards. Tomorrow we'll have nobody who can deal with this guy if he runs that crap.

I openly welcome Jared Boll to be on the ice. Seriously, he can play as much as he wants against the Rangers. More zone time for us.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Yes lets get more 4th liners who score 5 points a year. The key to success.

Wolfy*

What does "deal with" even mean?

I guess you heard what was being said in the video, and he is correct.

"If you can answer that with a fight...do it"

Boll will calm down for the rest of the game when he knows we wont take any crap from him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Why would him fighting calm him down? He's not under any obligation to fight.

How much does he play anyway, like 5 minutes a game? Who cares?

Columbus has plenty of guys who hit, and they can actually play hockey too. Bigger fish to fry.

Wolfy*

I'm convinced that if we play McIlrath tomorrow, we wont see any dirty hits from Boll, he wouldn't dare. So our players will be more protected.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I'm convinced that if we play McIlrath tomorrow, we wont see any dirty hits from Boll, he wouldn't dare. So our players will be more protected.
I dont know.. thats old style mentality. That said, its still a very popular mentality, since the "our goon can beat up your goon" thing is probably never going to go away.

Still.. i maintain that the best way to punish opponents for putting guys like that on the ice is to put pucks behind their goalie. Not as popular an opinion, i know... but its certainly the most effective :)

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I dont know.. thats old style mentality. That said, its still a very popular mentality, since the "our goon can beat up your goon" thing is probably never going to go away.

Still.. i maintain that the best way to punish opponents for putting guys like that on the ice is to put pucks behind their goalie. Not as popular an opinion, i know... but its certainly the most effective :)

So then kicking their goons ass back to Columbus on top of that would just be icing on the cake :nod:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Boll is in the NHL to do exactly what he does. If McIlrath is in the lineup---he'll play more than less his same game--he won't avoid Dylan. He's been doing what he's doing for a long time and he's a legitimately tough guy and fights well. He's not a very good player though. Personally I wouldn't want either Klein or Kreider messing with him and it's not just from a talent standpoint. I think both could easily get tuned up by this guy and it just isn't worth finding out.

It's a back to back with them. If there's any real problems McIlrath will probably be in the lineup on Saturday. I'd leave it at that for now.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Boll is in the NHL to do exactly what he does. If McIlrath is in the lineup---he'll play more than less his same game--he won't avoid Dylan. He's been doing what he's doing for a long time and he's a legitimately tough guy and fights well. He's not a very good player though. Personally I wouldn't want either Klein or Kreider messing with him and it's not just from a talent standpoint. I think both could easily get tuned up by this guy and it just isn't worth finding out.

It's a back to back with them. If there's any real problems McIlrath will probably be in the lineup on Saturday. I'd leave it at that for now.

Exactly this.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think McIlrath has potential to make players think twice, but in the same way Kreider does, i.e. not fighting, but hitting.

Like when Kreider leveled Umberger in the pre-season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think McIlrath has potential to make players think twice, but in the same way Kreider does, i.e. not fighting, but hitting.

Like when Kreider leveled Umberger in the pre-season.

McIlrath is relatively new to the scene. A guy like Boll would be eager to find out what he's about. Boll's fought just about every name in the NHL fight game of the past several years. Fights are his raison d'être. Boll can skate and check a bit--but he's not a good player--he's a somewhat better pugilist than Tanner Glass--but otherwise we're talking about the same player. Boll looks for these situations a lot more than Glass does however. Boll has well over 200 fights to his resume. I don't think Glass has even 100. Kreider and his three fights (Phaneuf, Subban and Burrows) would not be a good idea against this guy. Maybe he'd tie him up and wrestle him and nothing much would happen but Boll likes to distance his opponent and straight arm him and keep the one hand free and likes to come from underneath with the uppercut or over his opponents shoulder with the straight and he leverages his punches and he throws to hurt people.

The only two guys on the Rangers roster that should mess with him are McIlrath and Glass. Anyone else would be pretty stupid to do so. Play the game tomorrow---don't bite on the extra curricular **** would be my advice. Hope the referees control things if they get out of hand.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

The refs will deal with that crap if it happens.

CBJ can play him all they want. He's terrible.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Just made the team after a great preseason.

I don't think you know what "bust" actually means. If he's a consistent NHL player, he won't be a bust, regardless of the fact that he was not the best player picked in his spot.

Boom or Bust ? He certainly wasnt a Boom.. 5 years later got a 7 spot on the big team. At that position as of now, it's a bust pick. Until he sees top 2 pairing minutes, which most of you think he deserves after a spectacular September. he remains in any objective persons mind a Bust.

Look back at 10 OA picks and show us all of those great, great talents that were surefire NHLers right from the get go.

And look up what it means to be a "bust" - being an NHL player of any degree isn't a bust.

I can tell the you the 9 selections before him all have played 140 NHL games plus compared to Mcilbusts paltry 3.

As a matter off act you have to get to the 27th pick to find a guy whos played less in 5 years since the draft.

By your logic Hugh Jessiman wasnt a bust because he played in the NHL.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
As a matter off act you have to get to the 27th pick to find a guy whos played less in 5 years since the draft.

Jack Campbell played 1 game. Forbort hasn't played any. But let's not get the truth get in the way.

There's also couple more who have played more games but haven't established themselves.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think the problem with calling him a bust is that a bust is definitive. When a player busts, their NHL career is generally over. McIlrath made the team, yeah it took awhile and he's a former 10 OA on the team as a 6/7 defensemen, but the jury is still out.

If he goes on to play well and eventually earn a spot in the top 4, playing there for many years, is that a bust?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Let the mouth keep his garbage opinions to himself. He obviously has an agenda, so don't pay him any mind. If he watched training camp and couldn't notice that McIlrath was one of the best defenseman on the ice than don't even bother.

Why do people still think deterrence is a thing? This isn't the 80s NHL where you would have a guy on your team that would literally beat the **** out of you if you messed with a top player. That doesn't happen anymore. The notion that his team is soft or doesn't have anyone that'll answer the bell is asinine. They were physical all night against the Hawks, and it was effective hitting that's actually conducive towards playing good defensive hockey, not Tanner Glass hitting someone thirty feet away from the puck.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If McIlrath is going to play, I want it to be because his smooth play is going to calm everything down and allow us to transition, not so he can fight some thug who doesn't belong in the league.

Wolfy*

If McIlrath is going to play, I want it to be because his smooth play is going to calm everything down and allow us to transition, not so he can fight some thug who doesn't belong in the league.

Still, Jared Boll has been in this league with the Blue Jackets for 8 years, not bad for a "goon" ;)

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

The only player that would deter people from playing dirty is the incredible Hulk, otherwise testosterone will trumph rational decisionmaking.

A good enforcer is just good for roughing people up when theres a scrum, they're not a real deterrent to players who react in the moment, which all hockey players do.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Plus he wears an A so he must be doing something right other than just a 5 minute a night goon....I would love a player like Boll on our 4th line. What will likely happen if CBJ runs us all over the rink with physical play with no push back we will see DMac the next night and please CK couldn't fight Boll even if he had 4 other hands

Still, Jared Boll has been in this league with the Blue Jackets for 8 years, not bad for a "goon" ;)

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
28 shots in 72 games. 7 minutes of icetime a game last year.

Yeah, that's a goon.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Goons still exist and the league is run by idiots. I'm aware of this.

The Blue Jackets have played 10 playoff games in almost 15 years of existence. If they're still employing "players" like Boll I think that says a lot about players like Boll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad