Post-Game Talk: #1 - Rangers @ Hawks [Warning #102]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
G had one bad game, out of one, so far this season, after having an entire season of bad games.

ANd it's not totally about Girardi just plain looking bad, it's about his style of play that needs to be better. He needs to play the puck better in the defensive zone. If he did that he'd be pretty alright

Wolfy*

Zucc comments..

-It was tough, we were the worst line out there...really bad.
-Have to do better in the next game
-But I feel good, head is okay.

Video (Norwegian)
http://www.tv2.no/v/967542

Last edited by a moderator:

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Good game last night boys. Early clash between 2 heavyweights. Hank was a monster and I was very impressed with your defense as a whole. Cheers to the new season and I'll cheer for you guys to get a cup, only if they aren't playing my Hawks. :)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah I'm not too worried about those guys but hopefully they do better soon.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Good game last night boys. Early clash between 2 heavyweights. Hank was a monster and I was very impressed with your defense as a whole. Cheers to the new season and I'll cheer for you guys to get a cup, only if they aren't playing my Hawks. :)

As you can tell from reading this thread we don't agree with the Rangers D being impressive, but thanks ;)

Hawks are pretty tough to handle when they keep rolling out their top players shift after shift, Rangers got a bit lucky

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

That makes 2 of us. Out of 456.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
ANd it's not totally about Girardi just plain looking bad, it's about his style of play that needs to be better. He needs to play the puck better in the defensive zone. If he did that he'd be pretty alright

Exactly. This isn't a one game thing. He's bad in transition and on the breakout, and we really shouldn't be saddling McD with someone like that IMO. It was true two years ago, it was true last year, and it was true in the one game sample last night.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Exactly. This isn't a one game thing. He's bad in transition and on the breakout, and we really shouldn't be saddling McD with someone like that IMO. It was true two years ago, it was true last year, and it was true in the one game sample last night.

If Kreider can make Hjalmarsson look bad. Kane and Toews can make Girardi look bad.

It's the nature of professional sports.

Girardi isn't defending pee wee hockey players. Sometimes, I know it's hard to believe this, but pure domination of the other teams offense will be hard to come by. Just sometimes.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
When expectations are to control play in the other teams zone for 60:01 every night, disappointment will occur.

Realistic expectations are a good thing.

Breaded Fox

Nov 8, 2010
NJ
I feel really good about the third and fourth lines. Very solid group that will likely get even better over time. Worried about the D but I have to believe most of that will improve. Hank is Hank :handclap:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Kreider can make Hjalmarsson look bad. Kane and Toews can make Girardi look bad.

Girardi isn't defending pee wee hockey players. Sometimes, I know it's hard to believe this, but pure domination of the other teams offense will be hard to come by. Just sometimes.

Hjalmarsson isn't on their first pairing and being counted on to defend against top lines game in and game out. He also has a caphit about a million and a half less than Girardi's. And 3 Stanley Cups.

I never said G had easy assignments and I never said they need to purely dominate. You're moving the goal posts quite a bit and arguing a point I never made. I'm saying we have a very special D in McDonagh and we saddle him with a player who unquestionably holds him back. It's not smart. It negates a portion of what should be a real asset. G is inarguably bad on the breakout and in transition. If thats mostly because of his competition (which I disagree with), then he needs to be taken out of a spot that comes with that type of competition and slotted in somewhere easier.

You say "sometimes" as if G is regularly dominating the other teams' offense and this is a rare time he didn't. He never does. I know it's hard to believe this, but there are top offensive pairs that actually do dominate the competition fairly often. And ours isn't one of them despite having a tremendous player in McD.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
10th overall pick in 2010 thats a bust.

Cheers

Look back at 10 OA picks and show us all of those great, great talents that were surefire NHLers right from the get go.

And look up what it means to be a "bust" - being an NHL player of any degree isn't a bust.

Wolfy*

@NYRangers: AV says same #NYR lineup tomorrow in Columbus.

That means no Glass. But there should be a physical player in there against CBJ. Kreider, tomorrow it's your job.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

That means no Glass. But there should be a physical player in there against CBJ. Kreider, tomorrow it's your job.

We have plenty of players who can throws hits in the lineup.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Hjalmarsson isn't on their first pairing and being counted on to defend against top lines game in and game out. He also has a caphit about a million and a half less than Girardi's. And 3 Stanley Cups.

I never said G had easy assignments and I never said they need to purely dominate. You're moving the goal posts quite a bit and arguing a point I never made. I'm saying we have a very special D in McDonagh and we saddle him with a player who unquestionably holds him back. It's not smart. It negates a portion of what should be a real asset. G is inarguably bad on the breakout and in transition. If thats mostly because of his competition (which I disagree with), then he needs to be taken out of a spot that comes with that type of competition and slotted in somewhere easier.

You say "sometimes" as if G is regularly dominating the other teams' offense and this is a rare time he didn't. He never does. I know it's hard to believe this, but there are top offensive pairs that actually do dominate the competition fairly often. And ours isn't one of them despite having a tremendous player in McD.

I do find that hard to believe.

Kane and Toews are never dominated for 25 minutes of ice time. They are going to get their space. They are going to get their chances. The best you can do is try to slow them down.

Which we did.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I do find that hard to believe.

Kane and Toews are never dominated for 25 minutes of ice time. They are going to get their space. They are going to get their chances. The best you can do is try to slow them down.

Which we did.

Again, you're replying to points I'm not making.

I said there are top pairs that dominate the opposition fairly often. You said Kane and Toews aren't going to be dominated for an entire game. Yes. Those aren't mutually exclusive statements.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

We need physical players, not someone like Glass. Nash, Kreider, Miller, Stalberg, Stoll, Fast, Moore, Girardi, Klein, Staal. These are all physical players who finish checks. That's what we need, not Glass.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
We need physical players, not someone like Glass. Nash, Kreider, Miller, Stalberg, Stoll, Fast, Moore, Girardi, Klein, Staal. These are all physical players who finish checks. That's what we need, not Glass.

Agreed.

We had something like 43 hits last night. Plenty of physicality, and Klein doled out at least 5 on his own. Even Lindberg threw out a couple. 16/18 had at last one hit. Glass just doesn't have a place in this lineup.

He'll hit and fight, sure, but if he's not involved in the play... Look how great Moore looked last night with 2 capable line mates as opposed to just 1.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Hjalmarsson had a good night. Him and Keith were good against 1st line; notice how 61-16-36 did relatively nothing all night?

McDonagh-Girardi v. Kane was just terrible.

Toews was pretty well held in check last night, but Kane's line was all over them.

Here are the first pairings 5-on-5 matchups last night against Kane.

Girardi
11:18 TOI v. Kane - 1 shot for / 15 against.

McDonagh
7:38 TOI v. Kane - 0 shots for / 10 against.

Last edited:

Wolfy*

Here's a typical example of what I mean about lack of physical players.

CBJ's Jared Boll is one tough dude, and here he crushed someone into the boards. Tomorrow we'll have nobody who can deal with this guy if he runs that crap.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Here's a typical example of what I mean about lack of physical players.

CBJ's Jared Boll is one tough dude, and here he crushed someone into the boards. Tomorrow we'll have nobody who can deal with this guy if he runs that crap.

What does "deal with" even mean?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Yeah exactly.

It's not a matter of just one game, his transition skills aren't any better than what we were shown last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino