Post-Game Talk: #1 - Rangers @ Hawks [Warning #102]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Glass provides no more ruggedness or any other benefit over Moore-Stoll-Fast. If we're worried about that, put McIlrath in for Boyle either Friday or Saturday.

Boyle only played 14 minutes last night. I've been on record as saying I would be fine with Dylan taking the rough and tumble assignments, and CBJ definitely qualifies. Keeps Boyle fresh, and gets McIlrath NHL experience while playing to the strengths of his game.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
This 4th line is going to be better than 2014's 4th line, if they keep Glass in street clothes.

I hear that. The only tweak I'd like to see experimented with is switch Fast and Stalberg. I think Miller-Lindberg-Fast could develop together as a solid line, but I can understand if AV wants a vet on that 3rd line. I think Stalberg's game and touch of physicality would be better suited on that 4th.

Overall there was some good and some bad but it's game 1 of 82. Guys are going to be a little rusty and in the end they beat the Cup Champs from last season.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Glad to open the season with a win. Team showed a lot of potential on offense and, IMO, the "bottom" three forward lines all looked very good. Nash's line was pretty bad, but it's only the first game of the year. When they start to click, this team is going to be scary to defend.

Hank was excellent. That's all I have to say about that.

The defense.. yikes. Klein had a pretty solid game and that goal was really impressive. Yandle had some moments of brilliance, and a few moments of crap. Boyle looked slow and weak. Girardi was lousy. McDonagh was lousy. Staal was lousy. Hopefully they get it together soon.

I thought Kreider had a heck of a game, and it was nice to see JT Miller show up out of the gate and impress. Congrats to Lindberg on his first goal.

BarbaraAlphanse

I wonder if Boyle isn't happy with AV because he wants more responsibility. He probably feels that he has earned enough merit on his career. But he is declining.

I wonder if he forces a trade out. Cue Mcilrath in.

It's not a possibility I thought would happen, but who knows.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Pretty excited to watch Lindberg, Miller and Kreider this year if game one was any indication.

Hopefully Hayes and Fast get rolling as well.

Yandle is going to have a great year, my only other expectation on defense is for McDonagh to pull his head out of his ass in the near future.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I wonder if Boyle isn't happy with AV because he wants more responsibility. He probably feels that he has earned enough merit on his career. But he is declining.

That's super interesting, and the more I think about it, very possible. I could see Detroit being interested in him...

Boyle out and McIlrath in means Diaz is pulled back up...

Unfortunately that really screws up the pairings:

Mcdonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
yandle-mcilrath

That's an abortion of a 2nd pairing considering its nearly $9M

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I thought it was funny that NBC cut to Stoll and Moore on the bench after that play they made in the third and you just see Stoll apologizing to Moore for the pass :laugh:

I think Dom wanted to go backhand forehand there but the pass was just too hard so he tipped it on goal

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

McI definitely looked better in preseason than Boyle. If NYR could find a way to move him and he agreed, since he has a NMC, they should jump on it. $4.5M in cap space would be nice for the trade deadline.

BarbaraAlphanse

That's super interesting, and the more I think about it, very possible. I could see Detroit being interested in him...

Boyle out and McIlrath in means Diaz is pulled back up...

Unfortunately that really screws up the pairings:

Mcdonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
yandle-mcilrath

That's an abortion of a 2nd pairing considering its nearly $9M

I wonder if Boyle goes for a mid draft pick within the month. Like a 3rd or 4th. Diaz up. Mcilrath in.

If defense doesn't improve, Staal out, Skjei in.

Yandle-Mci become 2nd pair by end of oct.

Skjei-klein 3rd pairing.

10.2 mill off the books. Staal brings back scoring help.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'm hoping keith yandles play will make it impossible for us to screw up and try to move him.

he's exactly what this team needs to drive the play from the blue line.

he should be a fixture on this team the next 4 years.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm hoping keith yandles play will make it impossible for us to screw up and try to move him.

I agree, though I think he'll command more than a 4 year deal. TBH the Rangers probably need to figure out how to move Staal or Girardi to make room for Yandle $$ wise.

I do think the team will try hard to keep him, though. He is the player they've been looking for for years

BarbaraAlphanse

I think if Rangers stack the offense, that their defense of Yandle, mcdonagh, Girardi, klein, Skjei, and Mcilrath, will be more than enough to win a cup.

I.e. Trade Staal for a top 6 winger. Package him with Etem and whatever Boyle yields if need be.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think if Rangers stack the offense, that their defense of Yandle, mcdonagh, Girardi, klein, Skjei, and Mcilrath, will be more than enough to win a cup.

I.e. Trade Staal for a top 6 winger. Package him with Etem and whatever Boyle yields if need be.

Trading Staal would help free up a spot for Skjei that's for sure but Staal might be more useful a player in the long run vs Girardi

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I like how we win the game against the defending champs in their house and all I read is *****ing and moaning.

I'm just happy we are not seeing those sour grapes with prime examples of "We wouldn't beat them in a 7-game series", "Fluke win" or "Chicago was not themselves because of the banner ceremony".

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Trading Staal would help free up a spot for Skjei that's for sure but Staal might be more useful a player in the long run vs Girardi

girardi has a ton of miles and he'll just get slower and more prone to looking clueless.

if he can be moved to anyone (toronto) you gotta do it. that cap relief would help a ton.

staal has the longer shelf life but not by much

girardis expiration date is rapidly approaching

oh, and about that NTC :shakehead

BarbaraAlphanse

But would Staal/Skjei on the offside be more useful than Girardi? It would make a difference.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if you have brady skjei capable of logging big minutes and mcilrath as a full timer on the 3rd pair, its easier to see us without girardi certainly and perhaps even staal.

i still feel a little queazy though thinking of going to war without either of those 2 guys. they've been here so long and really, for the most part, have had great success.

times are a changin

BarbaraAlphanse

if you have brady skjei capable of logging big minutes and mcilrath as a full timer on the 3rd pair, its easier to see us without girardi certainly and perhaps even staal.

i still feel a little queazy though thinking of going to war without either of those 2 guys. they've been here so long and really, for the most part, have had great success.

times are a changin

Keep 1. Let them finish their career here. We need that influence in the locker room. The work ethic. The mentality.

But we can't keep both. And Boyle. Woof. Can't believe we let Stralman go for this guy.

Boyle for a 3rd. Need a top 6 forward coming back for Staal. Give them Etem and the 3rd we got for Boyle, too.

A winger from Det? JVR? A winger from SJ? Where will Staal accept a trade to? And does that team have pieces that fit what we need.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@MarkLazerus: The Rangers are now 151-1-9 in their last 161*regular-season games*when leading after two periods. That is staggering. #NYR #Blackhawks”

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

times are a changin

The big thing is replacing the players on the right side which is why it's unlikely Girardi is going anywhere anytime soon...sure, if McIlrath can come in and play that side after Boyle leaves then great, but he's like the only RD prospect the Rangers have that's anywhere close to ready. Mayyyyybe if Andersson or Zamorsky can take some big steps this year in the AHL and force their way onto the team as a kind of Dan Boyle replacement then you have much more leeway on how you perceive moving guys like Girardi and Klein, but I think both of those prospects have a lot to prove at this point still.

That said, probably not much is going to happen during this season with those players, this is more long range thinking and probably goes in the other thread, but the bottom line is the Rangers are going to need some more prospects to step up and will have to make some tough decisions about long time vets and available cap space. I also suspect the Rangers are crossing their fingers the cap can somehow take a jump next season that helps them out a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad