Prospect Info: #1: Jack Hughes (C): Fired Up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I actually think Jack could be a great two way center in the future.

Was skeptical but he’s made enough progress in such a small amount of time,

Personally, I don’t know about a “great” two way center but I don’t think he will be the liability some feared. He’s too much of a competitor to not learn that part of the NHL game and as you’ve said it seems like he’s already adjusting and with improved defense, his points are starting to come at the same time.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I actually think Jack could be a great two way center in the future.

Was skeptical but he’s made enough progress in such a small amount of time,

I can see him being great defensively in transition since he’s so quick and can disrupt passing lanes/ forecheck effectively. Once they gain the zone though not sure he will be that strong defensively. At least I don’t see it yet.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I can see him being great defensively in transition since he’s so quick and can disrupt passing lanes/ forecheck effectively. Once they gain the zone though not sure he will be that strong defensively. At least I don’t see it yet.

He's 18 years old and 170 pounds (on a good day). Is it really that shocking that he might struggle down low in his own end against grown men that are 210+ pounds and were playing in the league before Hughes hit puberty? Jack will be at the very least above average defensively after he adds weight and experience. Making evaluations about a teenager's defensive play, especially as a center, is absurd.

Reactions: Platypus420

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He's 18 years old and 170 pounds (on a good day). Is it really that shocking that he might struggle down low in his own end against grown men that are 210+ pounds and were playing in the league before Hughes hit puberty? Jack will be at the very least above average defensively after he adds weight and experience. Making evaluations about a teenager's defensive play, especially as a center, is absurd.

My absurd evaluation is that he already looks better than expected defensively, he's smart and tenacious even if he doesn't have the size and strength yet. I think his offense and his defense are going to be exceptional. We've got a good one folks.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
he's really good at fishing the puck out of other people's scrums and getting the puck to safety

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Nah his defense hasn't been atrocious but it hasn't been good either. It's just getting overshadowed by the team's shitty defense overall.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
Any guess on what his offensive ceiling might be next year?
With or without Hall?
Is Hischier’s ceiling near Hughes?

Don’t get to see them play much.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Any guess on what his offensive ceiling might be next year?
With or without Hall?
Is Hischier’s ceiling near Hughes?

Don’t get to see them play much.

Ceiling is 100+ points, Hall won't impact that, Hughes is a play driver. He'll need quality linemates but won't need an elite winger to put up points.

Hischier's ceiling is probably 70-80 points points but he has a ton of talent and it's possible there's more.

Reactions: Lumpy Grits

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Nico's ceiling is Patrice Bergeron

I don't think he'll ever be that good, but that type of player

We should hope and pray Nico becomes even 75% of the player Bergeron is, frankly.

Outside of that one beautiful goal the other night, I'm just not seeing much out of Nico at this point with respect to him being a #1 OA pick. I was really, really hoping he'd have a breakout year this season.

Still early.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We should hope and pray Nico becomes even 75% of the player Bergeron is, frankly.

Outside of that one beautiful goal the other night, I'm just not seeing much out of Nico at this point with respect to him being a #1 OA pick. I was really, really hoping he'd have a breakout year this season.

Still early.

you may only be focusing on the points. His face offs have been much better and did you watch him against Schiefle? When they were face to face Nico was even up with him physically to my eyes. That’s an improvement. That said he needs to work on his shot. Don’t forget in the long term he is only supposed to be the 2C if all goes right. His game is perfect for what they want.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Still early.

Agreed. He’s obviously a very good player for his age, but for a 1OA, he’s left a lot to be desired this season. I expected him to flip the switch and start dominating, but he’s been invisible too many nights. Just being responsible defensively isn’t going to cut it for such an important piece.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Agreed. He’s obviously a very good player for his age, but for a 1OA, he’s left a lot to be desired this season. I expected him to flip the switch and start dominating, but he’s been invisible too many nights. Just being responsible defensively isn’t going to cut it for such an important piece.
That's a you problem, not an 18 year old NHL player problem.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Still early.

I think Nico has look pretty good since he signed that contract. My issue with him though, is he looks good when the team looks good, he looks bad when the team looks bad. His play should be elevating the team, not the other way around.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
you may only be focusing on the points. His face offs have been much better and did you watch him against Schiefle? When they were face to face Nico was even up with him physically to my eyes. That’s an improvement. That said he needs to work on his shot. Don’t forget in the long term he is only supposed to be the 2C if all goes right. His game is perfect for what they want.

Didn't mean to derail the Hughes thread to be about Nico so this is the last I'll say on him here - but if the bolded is true that'd be an incredible disappointment for a first overall pick.

He may end up our long term 2C behind Hughes (that might be what you meant), but if he doesn't develop into a first-line level talent I mean.. that'd be a pretty bad pick at first overall.

Love the kid, glad we have him. Really not trying to bash him.. but even the little bit we've seen out of Hughes so far has shown us what a true first overall pick should look like. Flashes of brilliance while he figures the rest of it out. Not seeing much brilliance with Nico.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Didn't mean to derail the Hughes thread to be about Nico so this is the last I'll say on him here - but if the bolded is true that'd be an incredible disappointment for a first overall pick.

He may end up our long term 2C behind Hughes (that might be what you meant), but if he doesn't develop into a first-line level talent I mean.. that'd be a pretty bad pick at first overall.

Love the kid, glad we have him. Really not trying to bash him.. but even the little bit we've seen out of Hughes so far has shown us what a true first overall pick should look like. Flashes of brilliance while he figures the rest of it out. Not seeing much brilliance with Nico.

It’s not like Petterson went two and imagine if they had picked PATRICK.

The best part is that with Hughes they have a fastball and a curveball to throw at the other team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia