Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Jack Hughes...not game breaking

giphy.gif

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Don't really care about any other teams situation to be honest. Not sure why all these diversionary issues are being tossed about?

My concern we may not have a game breaking player after drafting #1 overall twice. What is happening in other cities has no real bearing on that.
Guess I have to explain the point...

If Hughes was at a .5 PPG pace and we were a good offensive team would you be fine with that? Instead of currently only being two pts off of that pace on a BAD offsensive team?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Guess I have to explain the point...

If Hughes was at or near a .5 PPG and we were a good offensive team would you be fine with that? Instead of currently only being two pts off of that pace on a BAD offsensive team.

.5 points per game would still be a disappointment in my view...A little closer to expectation, but still a disappointment.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
.5 points per game would still be a disappointment in my view...A little closer to expectation, but still a disappointment.
So as we established, you said you didn't think he was ready, but are somehow still surprised he is not putting up better numbers.

So let's try this, how many points would he need to end this season with, for you to not be surprised with how bad his numbers are even though you didn't expect much out of him this year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
'We're' not having this conversation. One person is concern trolling and telling people to ignore their eyes, but that's because the numbers also back up the eyes - Hughes is already a decent player who is snakebit. He's going to get so much better than he is right now, too.

I would expect Hughes is going to better than he is now, that is not even an argument. This is another diversionary tactic to avoid talking about his poor production right now...I didn't really understanding your point with career shooting percentages to be honest.

But right now Hughes is on track to have the worst 18 year old season season from #1 overall since Patrick Stefan...Do you really believe that is a fake concern? Or a not a concern at all?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So as we established, you said you didn't think he was ready, but are somehow still surprised he is not putting up better numbers.

So let's try this, how many points would he need to end this season with, for you to not be surprised with how bad his numbers are even though you didn't expect much out of him this year.

If you asked before this season started I would have said 40/45 points should be rock bottom. But there is a tremendous chasm between 32 points and 40/45 in my opinion.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I would expect Hughes is going to better than he is now, that is not even an argument. This is another diversionary tactic to avoid talking about his poor production right now...I didn't really understanding your point with career shooting percentages to be honest.

It's not a diversionary tactic. His 'poor production' is happening for 3 reasons -

A: He is not scoring goals - he has a (bad) 4th liner's shooting percentage right now.
B: His linemates are not scoring goals either. His linemates are shooting 7% when he is on the ice. That's quite low, and will go up.
C: He plays for a poor team that does not generate enough scoring chances.

I mentioned career shooting percentages because absolutely nobody who plays a 'top 6' role has this kind of on-ice shooting percentage.

But right now Hughes is on track to have the worst 18 year old season season from #1 overall since Patrick Stefan...Do you really believe that is a fake concern? Or a not a concern at all?

I am not concerned at all because I don't think Jack Hughes will continue to score at a 4th line rate. If he gets some bounces, he will easily leave these numbers (and concerns) behind.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If you asked before this season started I would have said 40/45 points should be rock bottom. But there is a tremendous chasm between 32 points and 40/45 in my opinion.
I feel like I'm repeating myself, but it's still crazy to me that you thought he wasn't ready but expected rock bottom results of 40/45.

Bottom line is most experts said and still say he is going to a massive force in the league one day, but don't expect it in the first year. So to answer your question from a couple posts ago, "no concern at all."

Don't worry he will be fine.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's not a diversionary tactic. His 'poor production' is happening for 3 reasons -

A: He is not scoring goals - he has a (bad) 4th liner's shooting percentage right now.
B: His linemates are not scoring goals either. His linemates are shooting 7% when he is on the ice. That's quite low, and will go up.
C: He plays for a poor team that does not generate enough scoring chances.

I mentioned career shooting percentages because absolutely nobody who plays a 'top 6' role has this kind of on-ice shooting percentage.

I am not concerned at all because I don't think Jack Hughes will continue to score at a 4th line rate. If he gets some bounces, he will easily leave these numbers (and concerns) behind.

Your reasons for him not scoring are strange to me...You go immediately to the team not helping him , why isn't it reasonable to ask why he isn't helping the team?

Reactions: MauDevils

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Any of you think Hughes' development might have been better served by a season in D1, or even the CHL? Or would the fanbase have revolted?

It's academic now, of course, but it seems the top-2 picks are destined for the NHL, with zero serious consideration given to other possibilities.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The currently prevalent idea that all first overall picks should be regarded as NHL ready is false and it's not on Hughes. He would have been much better off spending a year or two in college much like his brother was.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Your reasons for him not scoring are strange to me...You go immediately to the team not helping him , why isn't it reasonable to ask why he isn't helping the team?

Because he's snake bit. That's all. He's not going to score on 7% of his shots long-term because almost no forward in the NHL does. He'll score on a higher percentage of shots going forward and unfortunately people will forget all about this foolishness.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The currently prevalent idea that all first overall picks should be regarded as NHL ready is false and it's not on Hughes. He would have been much better off spending a year or two in college much like his brother was.

Another statement that will look absurd by season's end. 'Oh huh weird Hughes has 45 points in less than 82 games and isn't being pushed backwards relative to his teammates, I guess he should've just dominated college hockey instead'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad