Prospect Info: #1: Jack Hughes (C): Fired Up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Really hope Hughes has some balls and becomes the true leader this team desperately needs. Doesn't really look like it's Nico either.

Reactions: mdj12784

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Really hope Hughes has some balls and becomes the true leader this team desperately needs. Doesn't really look like it's Nico either.

He’s a child as is Nico. You think 26 year old guys are going to listen to a teenager? Leadership has to come from the best veterans or it’s flawed in my view. If Hall was invested in the team I think he’d be demanding better from everyone but he’d concerned about his contract and can’t invest. Greene is the captain as a loyal still somewhat effective veteran who is a calming influence on the young players who aren’t ready for win at all costs yet.

That said I don’t see Nico as a vocal leader down the road. He will be the Lead by example guy which is helpful if you have a good vocal leader or two. I think Coleman could be that but I think he sees the futility of the season with Hynes and is holding back. Maybe my offseason wish list includes a take no prisoners guy or two and set them loose in the locker room next season. Like an NBA team trading for Rondo.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Leading by example is more important than vocal leadership, which is vastly overrated. Think about where you work, do you get motivated by a co-worker giver a big ra-ra or fire and brimstone speech or do you just roll your eyes and move on?

Reactions: KappoTheGoat

My3Sons

Sponsor
Leading by example is more important than vocal leadership, which is vastly overrated. Think about where you work, do you get motivated by a co-worker giver a big ra-ra or fire and brimstone speech or do you just roll your eyes and move on?

Sports requires some emotion at times. In my work I find when I get emotional it just gets in the way. Vocal leadership doesn’t necessarily mean rah rah speeches. I’m thinking more along the lines of being demanding and holding each other accountable. That’s not a rah rah speech in my view.

Reactions: mdj12784

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Sports requires some emotion at times. In my work I find when I get emotional it just gets in the way. Vocal leadership doesn’t necessarily mean rah rah speeches. I’m thinking more along the lines of being demanding and holding each other accountable. That’s not a rah rah speech in my view.

I disagree with the first part. If you look at the great coaches through out sports history, they typically coaches who are demanding, stress preparedness, but are non emotional fire and brimstone guys. Those coaches tend to flame out. Don’t get me wrong there has to be direct verbal accountability and communication from the coaches to players.

That said that part isn’t on the senior players. That’s the coaches job. If that part falls on players the team has a problem. The players leadership job is to set the example on how things are done correctly and being a positive emotional support for younger players.

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I disagree with the first part. If you look at the great coaches through out sports history, they typically coaches who are demanding, stress preparedness, but are non emotional fire and brimstone guys. Those coaches tend to flame out. Don’t get me wrong there has to be direct verbal accountability and communication from the coaches to players.

That said that part isn’t on the senior players. That’s the coaches job. If that part falls on players the team has a problem. The players leadership job is to set the example on how things are done correctly and being a positive emotional support for younger players.

yeah it’s tricky and there isn’t a one size fits all approach that works. I think Nico is a self starter and hard worker. I’m guessing Jack is also but we will see. Bratt seems to be as are Coleman and MBW in my view. Zacha and Wood need a firm hand but of differing type. I think Wood is the puppy you hit with a newspaper and Zacha needs a firm but restrained touch. I think he needs a lot of positive reinforcement rather than just a kick in the pants. I hope they add some talent on defense and better coaches.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
He’s a child as is Nico. You think 26 year old guys are going to listen to a teenager? Leadership has to come from the best veterans or it’s flawed in my view. If Hall was invested in the team I think he’d be demanding better from everyone but he’d concerned about his contract and can’t invest. Greene is the captain as a loyal still somewhat effective veteran who is a calming influence on the young players who aren’t ready for win at all costs yet.

That said I don’t see Nico as a vocal leader down the road. He will be the Lead by example guy which is helpful if you have a good vocal leader or two. I think Coleman could be that but I think he sees the futility of the season with Hynes and is holding back. Maybe my offseason wish list includes a take no prisoners guy or two and set them loose in the locker room next season. Like an NBA team trading for Rondo.

I'm talking about the future....not now.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Guys with the temperament of Lidstrom, Crosby, Mariano Rivera, etc. are way better leaders than the Messiers and Jordans of the world. Fans are by nature melodramatic and want to be entertained with screaming and broken sticks because their ass isn't on the line day to day.

Shut your mouth, do your job consistently, criticize calmly. The biggest problem with Greene's leadership right now is making the same dumb mistakes as everyone else. He should be the rock but his decline, while predictable, is a big problem for this team because no one can reliably eat 25 min. anymore.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't get it, so Jack liked her Insta, she asked for his Snapchat, he didn't give it to her but asked for hers, she gave it to him, then she went and opened a snap from him that just says "Yeah, it's sweet"? And she replies with a message asking what he's up to?

I dont either, but I'm > 24 so there's that.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I dont either, but I'm > 24 so there's that.

I'll say this, it sucks to be young and think you're just flirting with some girl on social media while she's actually capturing everything to make a tic tok for her thirst trap account. Funny that the original point of snapchat was that people couldn't capture your texts and use them to embarrass or extort you.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I'll say this, it sucks to be young and think you're just flirting with some girl on social media while she's actually capturing everything to make a tic tok for her thirst trap account. Funny that the original point of snapchat was that people couldn't capture your texts and use them to embarrass or extort you.
I'm going to go listen to some alt-rock on my discman and pretend it's still 1997

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec

What this sounded like to me...

jaccuse.jpg

Reactions: Mortiz

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
dear jack,
If during an actual hockey game you could just give us a slight glimmer of hope you’re going to be a superstar, that would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps even put a very thin silver lining on this Ebola style diarrhea of a season.
Sincerely,
Disgusted diehard devils fan #1,238.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
dear jack,
If during an actual hockey game you could just give us a slight glimmer of hope you’re going to be a superstar, that would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps even put a very thin silver lining on this Ebola style diarrhea of a season.
Sincerely,

You haven't been watching closely enough if you haven't seen the glimmers in his game.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
dear jack,
Sincerely,
What a garbage post. He has had many games where he has shown elite abilities. The kid is 18, a young 18 at that. Get real.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I will say- it isn't a coincidence that Hughes has been quiet ever since he was put with Miles Wood

that pairing makes no sense.
This. Wood should not be sniffing anywhere near the top 6. He kills zone pressure. He can do fine with grinders in the bottom 6 but my God get him away from our best players.

Reactions: mtnet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad