GDT: #1 • "Wild Western Series: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" • Canucks @ Oilers • Jan 13 • 8 PM • SN

Will the Oilers make the playoffs this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
RNH-McDavid-Kassian Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto Archibald-Turris-Puljujarvi Ennis-Khaira-Chiasson Nurse-Bear Jones-Larsson Koekkoek-Barrie Koskinen Smith

No Russell in the lineup

Sorry, copied it from twitter quickly.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.30.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.30.44 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.30.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.30.53 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As much as I sympathize, I'm not a big fan of the navy thirds either. They try way too hard to look like they're out of Tron or something. The 2017 set was almost perfect. Royal blue home, white road, WHA orange third. I also really like the reverse retros this year, but they need blue pants and gloves. Not a fan of the popsicle look.

I didn't like the navy blues either in pictures but in person I really love them. I do agree that the 17 set was perfect, and that the reverse retro this year is awesome as well but would look better without the orange pants and gloves. Honestly just go back to the Stanley Cup winning blues and keep it forever, with new alternates every other year.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I didn't like the navy blues either in pictures but in person I really love them. I do agree that the 17 set was perfect, and that the reverse retro this year is awesome as well but would look better without the orange pants and gloves. Honestly just go back to the Stanley Cup winning blues and keep it forever, with new alternates every other year.

Agreed (except I prefer the orange WHA thirds to having new alternates each year). Wearing the WHA thirds in the playoffs was a nice touch too.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
All I want is to go to sleep knowing that the Oilers not only won but absolutely dominated them, an earth shattering, league exploded, ass kicking!! Like 10-2.

The pleasure would be immense and to be honest, a little overwhelming.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Still not understanding why he was re-signed

Yeah. I kinda get it but I kinda dont. I actually dont mind Russell and 1.25 mil isnt the end of the world. But could of they just signed someone like Koekkoek for 2years - 2mil to cover expansion and call it a day?

Reactions: Canovin

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No guarantee Seattle will take him tho. That's the issue

That wasn't the thought. Edmonton had to have at least one player with enough games played in the last two seasons that is signed for next year. Russell fits that criteria, whereas it was possible no one else would have fit the criteria including Klefbom because of his injury.

Because the dollar value of the contract was low, I didn't mind the move for expansion draft flexibility, other than the fact it telegraphed that Russell wouldn't be traded.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
No guarantee Seattle will take him tho. That's the issue

Well you dont need Seattle to take him. You need someone to meet the requirements so you dont lose someone else that you want. But if Russell isnt really in your plans, it doesnt make a ton of sense to give him another year. But $1.25 a year isnt really a big deal even if he plays #7D. But at the same time you could get someone for 750k-1mil to play 7D too. And every little piece of cap helps, especially when you have guys like Kahun signing for 900k.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and bone

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah. I kinda get it but I kinda dont. I actually dont mind Russell and 1.25 mil isnt the end of the world. But could of they just signed someone like Koekkoek for 2years - 2mil to cover expansion and call it a day?

Next year's buried salary threshold is $1.125M. So from a cap point of view it's $125K of wasted cap space if he were buried in the minors next year. It's not a huge amount but if he's a 7th defenceman next year it's a bit of an overpay. Russell's a warrior and good team guy so maybe it's a reward for previous play (something Holland has gotten in trouble with before, cap death by 1000 cuts/small overpays).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad