GDT: #1 • "Wild Western Series: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" • Canucks @ Oilers • Jan 13 • 8 PM • SN

Will the Oilers make the playoffs this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Devin Shore signed 1 year 2 way deal at 700K. Me Like :)

I think he was probably needed especially with Haas being out. Welcome to the team.

Considering all of the free agents this year, Oilers could of probably done better at 4C. But with all of Hollands free agent signings, I really feel like hes focused on guys who wanted to be here. I havent seen much from Shore but I assume thats the case as well.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I think he was probably needed especially with Haas being out. Welcome to the team.

Considering all of the free agents this year, Oilers could of probably done better at 4C. But with all of Hollands free agent signings, I really feel like hes focused on guys who wanted to be here. I havent seen much from Shore but I assume thats the case as well.

The taxi squad means it's simply a different season. You need NHL players on your taxi squad to mitigate the possible outbreaks that could happen during the year. Shore is a guy who doesn't need any AHL development experience, unlike Benson or McLeod who you definitely don't want being on the taxi squad all season long.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I am betting even if the Oilers win the usual suspects around will pick a minor aspect from the game, like a single play or stretch of bad play and go over the top.
Yep every single time there’s a shot against when Barrie is on the ice, every time Puljujarvi doesn’t make or receive a pass perfectly or stumbles at all, every time Drai looks like he isn’t skating 110%. It’s too predictable sometimes. Guess that’s why my ignore list grows because there’s some posters who really have nothing good to say, even when things are good. There’s enough negative stuff in life and Oilers related already.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The taxi squad means it's simply a different season. You need NHL players on your taxi squad to mitigate the possible outbreaks that could happen during the year. Shore is a guy who doesn't need any AHL development experience, unlike Benson or McLeod who you definitely don't want being on the taxi squad all season long.

Yeah I understand that. I am saying that I think if you look at some of the other 4C's who were signed in this offseason, I think there are stronger bets. I think Shore is a fringe NHL player. I think they could of got a 4C NHL player for 700k this year. But I also think it has to do with timing. I think Holland probably thought that Haas/Khaira could cover the 4C but with Haas being unfit to play, Holland probably felt he needed some extra insurance on the Taxi Squad. I think they probably looked at Shore, he was interested enough in the team to come on a PTO, that they signed him because he wanted to be here. Hes also from Alberta I think, so probably more incentive for him wanting to play here.

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If they were going to sign Shore, their best course of action would have been to Taxi Squad Khaira yesterday. Keep P.Russell on the roster, invent an injury for one player and sign Shore for $736,176. Then they would have maximized their cap space to the penny. Then they could have waived him today for demotion. I'm glad to have him join the team, but I think Holland messed up the paper transaction.

bone - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Maybe I’m not reading it right but it shows your lineup as being $341k over the cap?

I’m not sure about the rules of inventing an injury either.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Maybe I’m not reading it right but it shows your lineup as being $341k over the cap?

I’m not sure about the rules of inventing an injury either.
That's last years overage being added to the current year cap. The cap space is exactly $0 which would have set the ACSL at $81.5M instead of $81,138,824. It's essentially $362K of wasted cap space, if I understand everything correctly.

upload_2021-1-13_10-9-45.png

For the inventing an injury part, yeah, they would have had to have done some advance work on it, but even Shore could have been the guy as he wasn't fit to play until late in camp.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's last years overage being added to the current year cap. The cap space is exactly $0 which would have set the ACSL at $81.5M instead of $81,138,824. It's essentially $362K of wasted cap space, if I understand everything correctly.

View attachment 383790

For the inventing an injury part, yeah, they would have had to have done some advance work on it, but even Shore could have been the guy as he wasn't fit to play until late in camp.
Oh my bad! Thanks for explaining :)

yeah with the way teams like the Leafs and Bolts constantly have injuries exactly at the most opportune moments there probably is something that could have been done.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
After party:

Hot lady: "So, are you a member of the orchestra?"

Dudebro: "Yes."

Hot lady: "What section do you play with?"

Dudebro: "Percussion"

Hot lady: "So you play the drums?"

Dudebro: "No, I play the 2x4s".

The key takeaway here for me is that any framing apprentice in Edmonton could also have a bright future with the Danish Philharmonic Orchestra.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
I think being in this Canadian div might be the best thing to happen to the Oilers in a long long time.

At worst we should be top 4 team, but I would say top 2 should be the goal.

Huge difference playing Ottawa/Montreal a few times over Las Vegas!
It is actually the opposite. Oilers playoff chances 65% are in Canadian division. Would have been 72% in normal pacific division.

Yea Vegas is the best team from those two divisions. But in pacific you would have had all the teams from California. And they all are really poor at the moment. It would be reach for even one of them to make playoffs.

Why would you include Montreal and Ottawa in same sentence? Montreal is actually a decent team. Projected to have more points than Oilers. It is close, but about 2 more. They are above average team 5on5. If Price can stop a beachball this year (be at least average) they should be fine.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Please phase out the traffic cone orange jersey, please phase out the traffic cone orange jersey, please phase out the traffic cone orange jersey....

As much as I sympathize, I'm not a big fan of the navy thirds either. They try way too hard to look like they're out of Tron or something. The 2017 set was almost perfect. Royal blue home, white road, WHA orange third. I also really like the reverse retros this year, but they need blue pants and gloves. Not a fan of the popsicle look.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad