GDT: #1 • "Wild Western Series: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" • Canucks @ Oilers • Jan 13 • 8 PM • SN

Will the Oilers make the playoffs this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah. I kinda get it but I kinda dont. I actually dont mind Russell and 1.25 mil isnt the end of the world. But could of they just signed someone like Koekkoek for 2years - 2mil to cover expansion and call it a day?
They weren't sure on if the league was going to adjust the games required for expansion and Russell would pretty much for sure hit that no matter what. Someone like Koekkoek had a good chance not to

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Imo I think, on paper the Koekkoek/Barrie pairing is better than Jones/Larsson

I think it's definitely close enough to blur the lines as to which pair is the 2nd and which is the 3rd. That's good. But let's not get too carried away as Koekkoek has been in the NHL for 6 seasons but only got into 149 games. The closeness of the pairs is more a by-product of Jones being unproven than Koekkoek being a great d-man.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think it's definitely close enough to blur the lines as to which pair is the 2nd and which is the 3rd. That's good. But let's not get too carried away as Koekkoek has been in the NHL for 6 seasons but only got into 149 games. The closeness of the pairs is more a by-product of Jones being unproven than Koekkoek being a great d-man.
I mean Barrie is a better player than Larsson, especially the last few years

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree, I think that's why it looks so close. Though Larsson is likely better defensively.
I know advanced stats aren't the be all but looking at last year Barrie had...better possession numbers allowed slightly more shots against but was on for far more shots for. Was on for slightly more goals against but way more goals for.

That said he definitely got a much heavily ozone push than Larsson did (I mean duh).

So you are right in that Barrie is better offensively and Larsson defensively but the difference between them offensively is much larger than the difference defensively.

Reactions: bone

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
better offensively absolutely..butter soft and bad at defense though
I mean Barrie in 70 games only had 2 more goals against 5v5 than for. Larsson in 49 games was on the ice for 8 more goals against than for.

Being good defensively is good but if you are a black hole offensively...at the end of the day you want to be scoring more goals than allowing, no matter the numbers. Barrie is closer to doing that than Larsson and it's been consistent the last 3 years.

Edit: 5v5 players want to hover around 50% in the GF% category. If they doing it by being great offensively or great defensively, doesn't matter. Last 3 years Barrie went 51.93, 53.10, 49.17. Larsson went 50, 36.89, 43.97

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I mean Barrie in 70 games only had 2 more goals against 5v5 than for. Larsson in 49 games was on the ice for 8 more goals against than for.

Being good defensively is good but if you are a black hole offensively...at the end of the day you want to be scoring more goals than allowing, no matter the numbers. Barrie is closer to doing that than Larsson and it's been consistent the last 3 years.

Not saying this to disagree as I haven't really looked into it and have really only heard the narratives around Barrie, but has he typically been playing against Elites. middle tier or Gritensity. I believe Larsson because of his perceived defensive ability gets a lot of minutes vs. elite 5 on 5.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not saying this to disagree as I haven't really looked into it and have really only heard the narratives around Barrie, but has he typically been playing against Elites. middle tier or Gritensity. I believe Larsson because of his perceived defensive ability gets a lot of minutes vs. elite 5 on 5.
That could very well be true, I'm looking for those right now. That said all it tells me is Larsson, who keeps getting those assignments is doing a terrible job

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Patrick Johnston

With the morning sun, clarity, using both NHL and BC public health regulations:

Jordie Benn tested positive Sunday morning but a confirmatory test came back negative. That still put him into an isolation protocol. He tested negative Monday but positive Tuesday. (1)

Under NHL rules, if you test positive in one of the two days post-false positive, you become a presumed positive. Obviously he's now being treated as such. If he goes symptom-free until next Wednesday, he can be cleared by doctors, though it's not automatic. (2)

If Benn shows symptoms — which will most likely appear in the next few days — then he can't return until at least 10 days after symptoms first appeared, under both the NHL's and BC CDC's protocols. (Also needs to be cleared by team doctors) (3) (bccdc.ca/health-info/di…)

The ten day period is basically about how we've come to understand the incubation period of the virus. Most people develop symptoms 5 to 7 days after they're first infected. If you don't show symptoms by 10 days post-positive test, science tells us you're in the clear. (4)

As for J.T. Miller, as a close contact he's treated differently. Under B.C. public health rules, he has to self-isolate for at least 14 days after his last contact with Benn. That's about incubation period and also his contagious window. (5) (bccdc.ca/health-info/di…)

So, yes, even if neither player shows symptoms, Benn would be available to play before Miller. Fun stuff.

Reactions: oilers'72

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That could very well be true, I'm looking for those right now. That said all it tells me is Larsson, who keeps getting those assignments is doing a terrible job

Looked it up myself for the last three years. Looks like Larsson plays about 1 minute more per game and a higher percentage of his time vs. the higher end of other teams rosters. Not sure if it's enough to support the conversation but food for thought.

PuckIQ | Woodmoney | Tyson Barrie

PuckIQ | Woodmoney | Adam Larsson

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Looked it up myself for the last three years. Looks like Larsson plays about 1 minute more per game and a higher percentage of his time vs. the higher end of other teams rosters. Not sure if it's enough to support the conversation but food for thought.

PuckIQ | Woodmoney | Tyson Barrie

PuckIQ | Woodmoney | Adam Larsson
Thanks for this.
Larssons goal diff against Elites is better than Barrie's but it looks like middle competition just eats Larsson alive lol

Barrie's looks like he gets better with lower competition, Larsson almost gets worse? That's odd lol

Reactions: ujju2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Can't wait to be excited and hopeful about a new season and then shit on the Oil 5 minutes into the first period of game 1.

Great to be back and shitpost with all of you. Let's goooooooooo
If this team doesn't score first this place is going to make Chernobyl look like a paradise.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Thanks for this.
Larssons goal diff against Elites is better than Barrie's but it looks like middle competition just eats Larsson alive lol

Barrie's looks like he gets better with lower competition, Larsson almost gets worse? That's odd lol

It's weird how that goes with some players. Perhaps the issue is that when Larsson starts thinking offensively (i.e. vs. lesser competition) he makes more mistakes defensively. I don't know. It's interesting though as he's not the only player that seems to play better against good players.

Reactions: ujju2

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
No guarantee Seattle will take him tho. That's the issue

Russell is a good option for 7th Dman.

He's also stands as the "bar" that our younger kids on the blueline have to clear to make it onto the roster. He's overpaid at $4mill, but at $1.25 for a season he's fine. Probably even "tradeable".

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's weird how that goes with some players. Perhaps the issue is that when Larsson starts thinking offensively (i.e. vs. lesser competition) he makes more mistakes defensively. I don't know. It's interesting though as he's not the only player that seems to play better against good players.
I was just using the site to compare Koekkoek and Jones and it almost mirrors their new partner. Koekkoek gets mostly increasingly better against weaker competition. Jones does fine against Elites but struggles against middle guys.

Nurse/Bear appear to be the same where it's the middle guys that shit on them, but they excel against top competition.

If that's the case I'd almost use KK and Barrie exclusively against the middle guys and have the other 2 pairings split the elite and low competition time

Reactions: bone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad