GDT: #1 • "Wild Western Series: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" • Canucks @ Oilers • Jan 13 • 8 PM • SN

Will the Oilers make the playoffs this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I predict the PGT tonight has 1 of 2 over reactions to the game, either 1. We are the best, our depth is amazing, the cup is ours! 2. This team sucks, our goaltending is a mess, fire Holland.

The usual first game of the year over reactions
I am betting even if the Oilers win the usual suspects around will pick a minor aspect from the game, like a single play or stretch of bad play and go over the top.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
I am betting even if the Oilers win the usual suspects around will pick a minor aspect from the game, like a single play or stretch of bad play and go over the top.
You just know that if the Canucks score first we're going to hear about how horrible the team, coach and GM are, and how the season will be lost unless trades are made ASAP.

If we can get through this game even if it is a loss, and not have any major meltdowns, it'll be a good sign. Fingers crossed :D

GOoooooilers!

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers should win the game. Lets say 5-2. Connor pressing cheat code multiple times.

Apparently I'm so excited I woke up at 5;30 am. Also insomnia...heh

Barrie gets 2pts.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I think being in this Canadian div might be the best thing to happen to the Oilers in a long long time.

At worst we should be top 4 team, but I would say top 2 should be the goal.

Huge difference playing Ottawa/Montreal a few times over Las Vegas!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well its really exciting to have hockey again and have some normalcy back into our lives.

I really think McDavid going to come out flying in this game. Hes had a full offseason to heal/train. Assuming hes healthy I think hes going to easily win the art ross this year.
Interested to see if Kahun-Draisaitl have chemistry. I hope with Yamamoto it can be somewhat close to the Dynamite line.
Interested to see if our third line can have a positive impact. If Turris bounces back and JP is an NHL player (an improvement on the player we saw in his second year), we have a dangerous line up compared to previous years.
This is going to be the most puck moving our defense has had in a long time (but I think they will struggle to defend). Obviously interested to see Barrie and the offense he brings from the back end how he integrates into our powerplay. Interested to see how Jones/Bear look this year.

Canadian division should be fun. Get to see other teams in Canada in more detail.
I personally think Vancouver has been underrated a bit by the media, although I think their year is largely dependent on how well Demko/Holtby perform. Petterson and Hughes are special players. JT miller being out is a pretty big loss for them, guy was a beast last year. Their bottom 6 looks bad to me though. I was reading their GDT and they said the same thing about our bottom 6 so who knows lol.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
you don't hope youre wrong.

Of course I do.

It took me forever to get run and gun hockey out of my system. Realized despite how awesome our legacy team was in the 80's the only way to be successful is to have a solid 2 way game. So over decades of having that beat into me it still seems very true. While our current team has certainly gotten better it's built to play fire wagon hockey. Which is not overly successful, especially in the playoffs, if we can somehow make it.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
McDavid is 24 today

So McDavid who has a penchant for big production on opening night is also celebrating his birthday today? Well he's gotta be good for at least 3 points tonight then, so if Koskinen or Smith, whoever's starting, can limit the Canucks to 3 goals tonight then the Oilers win.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So that averages out to 4.25 P/GP between the two of them for season openers. If you put the over/under on combined points between McDavid and Draisaitl at 4.5 for tonight's game do you take the over or the under? I would definitely take the over.
Mcdavid is going over that by himself

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
As far as I know he is neither released nor under contract.

I think with cap shenanigans we need to actually start the season to get Klefbom LTIR relief, at which point we can sign Shore

If they were going to sign Shore, their best course of action would have been to Taxi Squad Khaira yesterday. Keep P.Russell on the roster, invent an injury for one player and sign Shore for $736,176. Then they would have maximized their cap space to the penny. Then they could have waived him today for demotion. I'm glad to have him join the team, but I think Holland messed up the paper transaction.

bone - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad