GDT: “Whatever It Takes” (McDavid Injury Documentary) • Friday January 24 • After the Skills Comp • SNET

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I usually like you as a poster & enjoy reading you contributions but this is about as bad a hot take as I would ever imagine.

Just terrible in every word after the first paragraph.

Really?
I kind of still feel a bit that way but have rescinded since I posted that. I posted in the other thread after reading other opinions that I am almost 180 d turned.
I guess it my Bobby Nic bias but it seems that only with the incredible work from a superior athlete that this turned out as good as it did.
It could've been a massive disaster and I still don't know how I feel about no one really knowing if he would be even at training camp until pretty much that time.

Cheers!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For anyone interested in watching the documentary it's on at 4:30 mountain - 30 minutes from now, on Sportsnet West and Sportsnet Pacific.

Live streams (with 45ish second delay) :

Sportsnet west

Sportsnet Pacific

Thanks for this.

Tried recording the Friday showing but I was only able to watch half of it because the first 20 minutes was NHL All star garbage.
At least now I will be able to see the whole documentary. :nod:

Reactions: RattsSSV

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
First thing my wife asked during the very first scene of McDavid in the car was "why isn't he wearing a seatbelt?"

Upon second viewing, she was correct. He's not wearing a seatbelt.

lol7.gif

Reactions: dsi and RattsSSV

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
Well he beat his time from last year I believe. So it certainly doesn't appear that he is feeling any ill-effects. I'm sure he is a little "behind" of where he would have been had to been able to train normally this past off-season, but I'm sure he'll make that up this off-season. McDavid minus 1 normal off-season of training is still clearly better than pretty much anybody else, lol.

He beat his time from last year, but also keep in mind it can depend on the ice conditions as well. Perhaps this year’s ice produced faster results. If he wasn’t injured who knows how fast he would’ve been. Several variables at play,

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I was never a person to think they owed anything to a player getting pAid millions to play a sport he loves.

After seeing what he did just to make it back for his team and city, I've switched my thought. They owe him everything and if they are still in a playoff position after next 4-6 games Holland needs to make a splash because McD effing deserves a stud LW

And I also found it interesting that Kassian was featured in it soo much, I think him and McD are way way closer than people think, shows when McD was first one in after turtle.
McDavid has done the same in the past for Draisaitl after Turtle took a run at him and bounced off like he hit a brick wall. He stands up for his teammates.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
He beat his time from last year, but also keep in mind it can depend on the ice conditions as well. Perhaps this year’s ice produced faster results. If he wasn’t injured who knows how fast he would’ve been. Several variables at play,
Elevation is a significant factor in ice speed. Salt Lake City holds 8 of the 11 long track speed records. The three McDavid won were in coastal cities (LA, Tampa, SJ) while St. Louis and Nashville where Larkin set his "record" are inland and higher in elevation. Denver is obviously the best place to set a good time but Calgary, Edmonton, Vegas and even Arizona are decent options.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I just feel like crap now for wondering why he wasn’t looking sharper to start the year
Don't feel bad, it's the nature of sport.

Unfortunately we didn't know to what extent he was injured and judged him based on that.

Reactions: ujju2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I still can’t believe how lucky we got that McDavid has genuinely generational genetics. No one else would have healed like he did.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Visiting from Canuckville. Hats off to Connor. Until I saw the documentary, I had no appreciation for what he had gone through. Glad he made it back. The hockey world just wouldn't be the same without prime McDavid.

More than ever, I hope both our teams make the playoffs. :thumbu:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Amazing documentary!! His recovery was remarkable. Only one question that comes to mind is " What damage was done not carrying him out on a stretcher and him on crutches? I just wonder if more damage was done right after the incident. McDavid and his father are true gentlemen.

Reactions: oobga

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hi guys, old-time habs fan here, I have witnessed 6 cups from Les Canadiens and yes I watched painfully as Andy Moog and your upstart Gretzky Oilers dethroned my habs in a sweep, talent is talent and I am the type of fan that appreciates it no matter the team and your great franchise despite its recent struggles is one I have always admired, talent is worthy of applause no matter the jersey on the player, true fans of the game don't care about that.

I said all of this to say that I have a newfound respect for Mr. McJesus, myself and my family just watched his awesome documentary and I can tell you that your greatness of the past is on it's way back, that kid has the heart of a lion. There is no doubt in my mind that he will take you back to the promised land, he has it all, it's just a matter of time. Greatness in pro sports is not hard to recognize and Mr and yes I said Mr, he has it all, he will lead you back, such a warrior. We will be watching Mr. McDavid on his ride to greatness, wow is all I can say.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Amazing documentary!! His recovery was remarkable. Only one question that comes to mind is " What damage was done not carrying him out on a stretcher and him on crutches? I just wonder if more damage was done right after the incident. McDavid and his father are true gentlemen.

Yeah, his knee is largely detached and being held together by some remaining tendons. No doubt there was lots of extra stress on what was left holding it together in that time he spent trying to get to where he was finally able to lay down.

The team doctor also looks pretty out to lunch in the doc. He seemed super happy about that first MRI that ended up being a mess of inflammation hiding all kinds of damage. Somehow he comes away concluding it's just a PCL sprain.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
At the end, I believe it was Lindsay that says something along the lines of ''never seen it heal to this level''

Makes you wonder if it's not 100% yet and whether it will ever get there.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Interesting

Leavins hinting that Terry Jones leaking quotes prior to the broadcast may not have been approved by either McDavid or the Oilers.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I just feel like crap now for wondering why he wasn’t looking sharper to start the year
I had a post from the start of the year saying he was a step behind his usual self and looked like his knee was still bothering him. People tore me apart for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad