GDT: “Whatever It Takes” (McDavid Injury Documentary) • Friday January 24 • After the Skills Comp • SNET

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Hail to the King!
Can’t wait to watch this, though I heard from the ‘main board’ that it’s just the Canadian propaganda machine overrating a pretty good player and hundreds of other players work just as hard as Connor :help:
So much bitter jealousy about our captain.
Still have to pinch myself that he’s an Oiler sometimes.

Reactions: Satire and dsi

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Don't know if this was posted but I thought it was worth a watch, especially for those who didn't get to see the documentary.

Edit: There is a gap where they talk about some other things but a few more questions about the injury are asked closer to the end of the clip.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Rishaug seems genuinely mad about the secrecy.

Last edited:

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
So were they planning this documentary the whole time, as they took video at each stage, even early on? Some of the recovery video is not something you would usually take.
That's a great question, Portions, likely the majority of that documentary, especially in the early stages, had to have been rein-acted.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Okay sorry, relax.
I thought it was the other part, which was the muscle that had also torn, which was joining. That’s why I was confused. I had earlier (mis)understood the PCL couldn’t rejoin naturally.

The docs that were on here had indeed stated that is was highly unlikely, although not impossible, for the PCL to reattach on its own. It appears that it did, at least somewhat. They were more vague than I would have liked around how WELL it reattached. I imagine there are variances on how well the PCL healed. Like maybe he is working with a 65% healed PCL now, or 85%, or whatever. It would have been nice to hear that kind of information.

Reactions: dsi

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The docs that were on here had indeed stated that is was highly unlikely, although not impossible, for the PCL to reattach on its own. It appears that it did, at least somewhat. They were more vague than I would have liked around how WELL it reattached. I imagine there are variances on how well the PCL healed. Like maybe he is working with a 65% healed PCL now, or 85%, or whatever. It would have been nice to hear that kind of information.

McDavid and his doctors aren't obligated to satisfy you

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Don't know if this was posted but I thought it was worth a watch, especially for those who didn't get to see the documentary.

Edit: There is a gap where they talk about some other things but a few more questions about the injury are asked closer to the end of the clip.

Hearing him talk about the procedure if he did opt for surgery [drill, make new PCL from another piece from somewhere else, etc] gave flashbacks of what the dr suggested to me years ago. Then the rehab process 1-2 years. May not even walk the same again etc. I totally understand why McDavid opted out of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RattsSSV

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
How the **** is this medically possible

The human body is an amazing thing.

The buddy of a coworker had the proverbial "bullets taken out of the chamber" after he and his wife were done having kids. The Doc told him once his samples came back empty in a few months, he should still get checked every couple of years to make sure his lines didn't regrow or reattach on their own as it's very rare, but can happen.

About three years go by, his wife gets pregnant. They almost get divorced because of course he's snipped and he's convinced she's fooling around on him (who wouldn't!). Bear in mind, he listened to other buddies of his that had been snipped who told him not to bother with the periodic samples because its nearly impossible to be fertile again and they were shooting blanks for years. So, he listened to their advice instead :laugh:.

Anyways, his wife pleads for him to go in and submit a sample as she's saying she's a faithful wife. He agrees to submit one but tells her if his sample is showing clean, he's walking out. Be damned if his lines didn't find each other or regrow and he became fertile again as his sample had plenty of swimmers in it.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Unless I’m mistaken, isnt it true that they didn’t tell us if the PCL was fully healed, or if the knee is at 100% or will ever be structurally perfect?

I guess it was implied that he is “better than ever”... but he did lose to Matt Barzal. I bet Adidas wasn’t happy. Is 13.2 his best time ever?

Oh well. It seems like the core exercises they did around the knee were pretty substantial, I wonder if he keeps going with some of these regimes.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Unless I’m mistaken, isnt it true that they didn’t tell us if the PCL was fully healed, or if the knee is at 100% or will ever be structurally perfect?

I guess it was implied that he is “better than ever”... but he did lose to Matt Barzal. I bet Adidas wasn’t happy. Is 13.2 his best time ever?

Oh well. It seems like the core exercises they did around the knee were pretty substantial, I wonder if he keeps going with some of these regimes.

His PCL reattached and they said it healed.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Well he beat his time from last year I believe. So it certainly doesn't appear that he is feeling any ill-effects. I'm sure he is a little "behind" of where he would have been had to been able to train normally this past off-season, but I'm sure he'll make that up this off-season. McDavid minus 1 normal off-season of training is still clearly better than pretty much anybody else, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad