GDT: “Whatever It Takes” (McDavid Injury Documentary) • Friday January 24 • After the Skills Comp • SNET

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
At the end, I believe it was Lindsay that says something along the lines of ''never seen it heal to this level''

Makes you wonder if it's not 100% yet and whether it will ever get there.

Honest question: do any ligament tears ever return to their former strength? I've always heard that ligaments are never really the same after a major tear, but again, I'm no doctor. Or is more like broken bones, where they can heal even stronger than before (although I don't claim to know exactly how bones do that either).

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Honest question: do any ligament tears ever return to their former strength? I've always heard that ligaments are never really the same after a major tear, but again, I'm no doctor. Or is more like broken bones, where they can heal even stronger than before (although I don't claim to know exactly how bones do that either).
I watched the video live with a doctor buddy and he was like "he has to get surgery, now" and was pretty adamant about it. He's still skeptical of the healing process, but was surprised with how well it healed.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I watched the video live with a doctor buddy and he was like "he has to get surgery, now" and was pretty adamant about it. He's still skeptical of the healing process, but was surprised with how well it healed.

Thats the thing though, all doctors have different opinions. It sounds as though in this area, few are experts. I suffer from Crohn's disease and it is amazing how many doctors give me advice that I flat out know is wrong.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Connor is probably the most hungry athlete in all of hockey , probably tied with a Crosby who has like 10 concussions but still playing his style which is very dumb in my view but it’s a lot of heart....

Coming back from this injury is nothing short of a miracle and we should all feel blessed in our own ways of feeling blessed because I don’t want to push religion on anyone.....

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Thats the thing though, all doctors have different opinions. It sounds as though in this area, few are experts. I suffer from Crohn's disease and it is amazing how many doctors give me advice that I flat out know is wrong.

So true, most doctors really dont know much more then the average human.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Well, I'll trust the doctors have saw the MRI and were there managing his recovery.

I get what you are saying, and I share the same view to a degree, it really seems like this shouldn't be possible. But the chances of a bunch of different doctors seeing the MRI results and flat-out lying to McDavid, and then lying to the world through a documentary, are very remote. There is the possibility that those doctors are just *wrong*, but that same possibility extends to everybody really.

I don't know the answer, but so far the results are good. We won't REALLY know the answer until the end of McDavid's career, and we can all look back on it and comment on whether he had more left knee problems in his career, or whether it seemed like his left knee was fine.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
With surgery you never know what will happen with the recovery process once the surgery is complete. I used to be a competitive athlete (not hockey) and tore my ACL on each leg. The first time was my right leg and after surgery I was almost 100% in 5 months but 25 years after the surgery I'm now having problems with that knee. (arthritis, bakers cyst). A few years after I recovered from the first surgery I tore the ACL on my left leg and had surgery with a different doctor but he was from the same office as the first doctor. That leg took 2 years to recover and was never close to 100%. I lost the explosiveness in that leg, lost the ability to jump, sprint etc. It's almost better for Mcdavid not to get the surgery and just wear a brace because you never know how his body will react or change after the surgery.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I'm not a doctor obviously, but I must be missing something in that tweet. Seems kind of old-timey and ignorant to not check what's going on inside.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Doctors are trained to prescribe medicine and do surgeries. If you talk to them about alternative therapies they look at you with a blank stare and just say I would recommend: whatever they said before.

I dissagree, I think that Doctors are trained to look for the threatement, which in their oppinion gives the best result. And the reality is that, in exactly the same situation, different people have different results. And there are still many things about the human body we don't fully understand, which means that doctors and terapeuts (alternate medicine guru's) cannot know everything, and because of this they will be wrong sometimes.

For me there are few things to consider here:
  • Right now it looks like this was the best choice for Connor, but will the same be true in 5 years? 10 years? Hopefully yes, but we don't know that, yet we judge doctors assuming that this true.
  • For every succesfull case of alternative therapy there are probably few cases of unsuccesfull ones. Every success is reported, people start recommending the same threatment to everyone, and claim that doctors don't know anything, yet nobody cares about the ones who failed. How many docummentaries are about the guys who refused surgery and cannot walk anymore or lost ther leg. I would bet that there are many such cases.
  • If I understand right, the main reasons Connor opted for therapy instead of surgery are the shorter recovery and the fact that surgery would had alter the way he skate. He know that the alternative was very risky, but if it worked it was extremelly beneficiar to him, due his job. Being able to skate at 40 mph instead of 35 mph was so essential to Connor that he was willing to take a big gamble, but how essential is this for the regular Joe? Or even for a mediocre athlete. I somehow agree with you here: doctors are trained to consider always the treatment which is more likely to succed, and often they will not consider the high risk treatment, whose results will give a small bonnus which is not important to 99.99% of the people but may make a difference to 0.01% of the people.
  • And this is in my oppinion the most important component here: how many people would be willing to spend 10-12 hours per day for many months, work extremelly hard on this, not doing anything to put the knee to the risk, to avoid the surgery, knowing fully that after 3-6 months would could find out you still need therapy. I know I couldn't and I know that many people cannot even afford to do that. I have huge respect for Connor for being able to do that, but this is not a viable treatment for most people in his situation. If I was a doctor and I would have to recommend to a patient between surgery and going through this nightmare on the chance that they may avoid surgery I know exactly which I would pick.

This is a very very standard example of people considering a choice, picking only the (few) succesfull outcomes and concluding that that is the answer. Yes, it is true that in some situations therapy works better than surgery. But the data we get on this is very skewed, we only find out the successes and never see the drawbacks. And while many people think that the doctors are ignorants, the funny part is that every failure of therapy probably ends up on tehir surgury table, they very likely see both the successes and the failures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad