“There wasn’t much but I wanted a penalty against Nashville” UPD Tim Peel early retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Where's the apologists now huh??? It was so f***ing obvious they do this shit and there's always those who deny it. NHL refs are a complete joke and deserve a kick in the nuts one by one before theyre fired for their misconduct. Disgusting.

LOL calm down. Good lord.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
These f***ers should get suspended. Honestly, they should just kick out the old and bring in some new refs but making sure they get all the proper training and all

The folks in charge of suspending them would be the same people who gave them direction to manage games.

And I don't think the union would care for that much.

Suspending one ref because he was dumb enough to say it out loud and about to retire it anyway, is a lot different than blaming the majority of the officiating crews for not doing their job, when they're doing it as intended.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Still objectively fairer reffing than the NFL or NBA.

You won't get rid of give and take until robot refs are officiating robot players.

NBA reffing is hands down the worst lol, nothing comes close. Superstar calls are the dumbest thing I've ever seen. That league has created hall of famers and superstars through their officiating alone. James Harden/Lebron James are some of the worst when it comes to NBA officiating. They're allowed to travel and commit offensive fouls to score and are never called/penalized for it. Half of their point totals come from phantom free throws, throwing forearm shivers on every drive and being able to travel. NHL isn't that bad.

But catching a ref saying this kind of crap on the mic is hella embarrassing for the league.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
PIM in the 2011 SCF:

Vancouver 162
Boston 181

Not the refs' fault that their PP went ice cold and they kept giving up shorthanded goals
It was not only about the powerplay minutes. The league literally changed the rulebook between the conference championships and Cup Finals. Bruins were allowed to play 2003 style mug puck and the Canucks were not. It was a sham and everyone knows it.

Reactions: crab and AvroArrow

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
This keeps being thrown out, but it's not the case. The decision isn't
Call everything and have an unending penalty box parade
vs.
Call penalties based on the score and number of penalties called so far in the game to each team

There's a magical third option
Adopt a reasonable penalty threshold and call the game by it consistently on all teams regardless of score and previous penalties

It's not the easiest thing in the world, but somehow the guys calling Bantam rep manage to do it. Methinks we could hold NHL refs to the same standards of minor hockey

They've done it in the past. Everyone bitched. Media bitched, players bitched, coaches bitched.

It's just something you'll have to decide to live with or without as a fan unfortunately.

The players, coaches, gms from what I've seen have leapt to the defense of the NHL and the officials. They're in full blown protect mode.

After awhile the media will get nowhere with it.

This will blow over and things will return to normal.. game management will continue and nothing will change.

I do want to add that I find it interesting as well that the officiating in hockey changes as you get older and the hockey skill improves. Some of the stuff NHL players get away with would be unheard of in a Bantam/Peewee game.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016

We still don’t know the full conversation and the full context. Let’s be honest, is Duchesne an unbiased opinion? I’ll also add that I find it very odd that he would be talking to Forsberg and say, “I wanted to get a f’ing penalty against Nashville early...” Would he say something like, “I wanted to give you guys a penalty early...”

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Wondered if anyone had posted this.

For those talking about " conversation between Refs and context " this was a comment directed at Forsberg according to Duchene. Duchene states that it was kind of awkward and not normal.

Basically Tim Peel told Forsberg that he made up a call because he wanted to give one to Nashville. Essentially his ego was so big he didn't think twice about telling the team it was a bogus call. Apparently the " I know " was Forsberg responding, as in, I know it was a bogus call.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Peel was scheduled to work his last game on April 24 before retirement....So it's not like he's missing much or it's a real punishment. He was done anyways...Do something about all the other refs and the fake-ass parity, make up calls or game management, whatever you want to call it.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
He gets his orders from the league like the rest of them. He just got caught and now they are using him as a scapegoat. Nothing is going to change. NHL is too bush league to protect their star players and/or get rid of game management calls, because "parity"

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Does anybody else think the refs have been atrocious this year? At times it’s actually made me question how much stock I’m going to continue to put into NHL hockey.

While folks on this site are generally the serial makers of mountains out of mole hills just to have something to moan about, I do agree the reffing has been noticeably poor this season.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
We still don’t know the full conversation and the full context. Let’s be honest, is Duchesne an unbiased opinion? I’ll also add that I find it very odd that he would be talking to Forsberg and say, “I wanted to get a f’ing penalty against Nashville early...” Would he say something like, “I wanted to give you guys a penalty early...”
I don’t see the motive for Duchene lying publicly about this, and the fact the NHL acted as quickly as it did tell you enough. Add this to the ongoing knowledge that most who follow or are involved in the sport have known for a very long time that this is a problem. This isn’t people speaking out of turn. This is an opportunity for a call to action, and it hopefully doesn’t end with Peel getting to retire a month early with absolutely zero change or consequence for the league.

Reactions: SouthNash

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mentioned the same thing on the Preds board and another poster had a good response. " Nashville " would be taken less personally than " you guys '.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
It’s astounding seeing how many people are perfectly happy not having any context nor the full conversation in order to be righteously indignant.

We have years of context, seeing referees make ridiculous calls or blatantly ignoring infractions happening right before their eyes. We have years of seeing them "manage" penalties based on the clock, the period and the score.

We have former referees like Kerry Fraser who have readily admitted they target certain players, try to "correct past mistakes" by calling ghost penalties and so on.

The only persons who don't have any context are completely new at hockey.

Reactions: SouthNash

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It was not only about the powerplay minutes. The league literally changed the rulebook between the conference championships and Cup Finals. Bruins were allowed to play 2003 style mug puck and the Canucks were not. It was a sham and everyone knows it.
tenor.gif

Reactions: vuvuzela

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
PIM in the 2011 SCF:

Vancouver 162
Boston 181

Not the refs' fault that their PP went ice cold and they kept giving up shorthanded goals

Everybody outside of Boston knows that was one of the most rigged finals of all time lol. If the refs weren't "managing the game" and actually called penalties, penalties, Bostons PIMS would be MUCH higher. Plus Colin Campbell lol. When the VP is pressuring the refs to make calls in favor of his son and constantly whining/crying for them to call the game the way he wants.

But glad you posted the PIM numbers, cause that's pretty much the issue here. Refs managing the game rather than calling it the way it should be called. It should not have to be equal, or in favor of 1 team, just simply called the correct way.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I don’t see the motive for Duchene lying publicly about this, and the fact the NHL acted as quickly as it did tell you enough. Add this to the ongoing knowledge that most who follow or are involved in the sport have known for a very long time that this is a problem. This isn’t people speaking out of turn. This is an opportunity for a call to action, and it hopefully doesn’t end with Peel getting to retire a month early with absolutely zero change or consequence for the league.
I’m simply pointing out the fact that a lot of people prefer to not look at all parts of this and just see what they want to see.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Peel is the wanker who broke Ryan O'Reilly's penalty-less season when he called him for having a broken stick in his hands after getting an elbow in his face and not realising it.

Reactions: Trade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad