“There wasn’t much but I wanted a penalty against Nashville” UPD Tim Peel early retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
This shouldn’t be a surprise. This isn’t the only sport with this problem. Referees/officials are human.

that said... you have to get rid of them when they are caught like this. what a nightmare for the league.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
No, he’d be doing the right thing by admitting to himself that he got fooled the first two times, understanding how to identify the thing that fooled him, then judging whether the next play was legal with a new perspective.
Until the human ego kicks in and he feels embarrassed and angry that Player A made him look bad so hes going to make sure player B is allowed to get a few extra shots in free of charge. Nobody feels bad when this happens to player A because hes a whiny flopper. So we accept that refs get their revenge. This has been happening the entire history of the league. How the hell do you fix something so engrained in hockey culture?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And they aren’t even burying Peel. Dude’s retiring one month early with all his benefits and getting a nice pay on the back behind the scene.

And I’m not saying Peel should be stripped of his benefits directly before retirement, because then we’re talking about a person’s well-being. But this does speak to how fake this whole response is from Campbell and the NHL. Fire Campbell. He needs to go.
The NHL risks getting further exposed if they hit Peel financially. This way, they can all avoid further embarrassment.

If they hit Peel financially, what do you think he would do? Write a tell all book or go on TV to expose how the NHL has instructed the officials to call games? That is too much of a risk to the NHL.

Cost/Benefit is to pay him out and not hit him in the pocket book now and in the future.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I can't believe some of the comments on here, "Important to establish the rules before a game gets chippy" What the hell? What kind of arguments are some of you making on here? It's not the referees job to dictate how a game goes. Call a penalty a penalty. There's nothing more to it, it's not their job to establish control of the game. Absolutely pathetic. Tim Peel getting canned is great, maybe they should hotmic Steve Kozari too.

No more excuses for refs. They get away with way too much. No game control, no tone setting, no nothing. Call the game as it unfolds. Call penalties and stop power tripping. NHL Refs have such a massive ego, it's so apparent. Hopefully this embarrassing firing will keep these people a lot more honest for a change
Actually the concept of establishing how the game will be called is very common and appropriate in all sports. You see when you have humans doing the officiating you have different ideas of what constitutes a penalty. One official can see a player go down and feel that it was a trip, while another may feel he embellished, as an example. A good official establishes how the game will be called early on, so that the teams can know how to play.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bad look for the NHL, confirms bias in the officiating. oops

Any human is going to have biases. I had a major league umpire as a family friend. Ive heard it from their perspective. The difference is the league decisions on how the games are officiated. NY decides if a playoff series is called tight or let em play.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
If he's being a goon outside of the rules then yes.

The point is, anytime anyone breaks a rule it should be punished. Not selected at random.
Sometimes they have to read the room and make a pre emptive call so another Kassian Tkachuk situation doesint happen. Kassian got sent to the locker room for 10 minutes just for chirping the flames bench during one of their rematches. Technically he broke no rules but the league was scared of Bertuzzi Moore 2 electric boogalo. Where the refs wrong in that instance of game management?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It seems excessive to fire a guy for that and say he won't be re-hired, considering some of the things players can do and not have the same happen to them, but it sets the right tone. If you try to do anything other than your job as an official, you will be sacked.
The problem isn't that he did it, that has kind of been the thing for the last 100 years or so for the NHL "refs" and the management "accountability". The problem is that he openly said it - and that the NHL can't bury it. This kind of thing is openly going on in the NHL, NBA, NFL, MLS and so on. That's why I don't say American sports leagues are actual sports leagues. They are entertainment industries, with a whole other purpose than the sport. The sport is merely the product to gain maximum profit however you can. Managing - or even fixing - games is an easy step for people like these. Artificial manipulation of an outcome is their whole thing, since that will give them more profit.

They could just as well sell tennis shoes or bombs. Or they could trade cattle and give circus shows - which they ironically do.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is such a non subject to me, just meh to me TBH. This happens (game management, bias vs teams/players, make up calls, etc) in all leagues and sports. Only difference here is one guy had a brain fart and said something on a mic.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Do you want to see Mcdavid score 70 goals? Because the man is too fast for the league and he would make regular defensmen look like beer leaguers more than he already does. Better yet, your team plays the Oilers, Enjoy your 6-2 spanking.

Making NHL defenders seem more competent is the point in competitive balance. If it was all offense it would be seen as the NBA on ice. The NBA ratings are in the shitter because they went the all offense route and their league is full of flopping and soft play, no more driving the lane its all 3 pointers.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Fans complain about fairness, but it will be unfair if players that can skate 40 mph start blowing by everyone 10 times a night. Then fans will complain defense is bad and there is too many goals. NHL fans always whine about the game, they whined about the penalty amount during an era when they started to enforce the rules. Do you know what happened? Ratings actually dropped. Most hockey fans want to see the mucking and grinding mixed in with skill.

Nobody wants to admit this but no matter what the NHL does in terms of enforcing the rules, they will always lose because we will complain. Fairness is great, but if they call 100 percent every penalty robotic like with no room for human judgement or error, i don't know if the product will improve. It did not improved when they did just that.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 92 Goal campaign Gretzky put up.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Until the human ego kicks in and he feels embarrassed and angry that Player A made him look bad so hes going to make sure player B is allowed to get a few extra shots in free of charge. Nobody feels bad when this happens to player A because hes a whiny flopper. So we accept that refs get their revenge. This has been happening the entire history of the league. How the hell do you fix something so engrained in hockey culture?
You set in place hard consequences for that kind of activity. You have performance reviews to evaluate referee performance. There are tons of refs sitting in the minors who would love to take an NHL position, and may very well be qualified to.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Still objectively fairer reffing than the NFL or NBA.

You won't get rid of give and take until robot refs are officiating robot players.
What? That’s nonsense, officials should be perfect on day one and get better. (One of my favorite sports quotes.)

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
It seems excessive to fire a guy for that and say he won't be re-hired, considering some of the things players can do and not have the same happen to them, but it sets the right tone. If you try to do anything other than your job as an official, you will be sacked.
He wasn't fired and he was retiring at the end of the season anyways. I'm sure he'll be wiping his tears with his severance pay.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Actually the concept of establishing how the game will be called is very common and appropriate in all sports. You see when you have humans doing the officiating you have different ideas of what constitutes a penalty. One official can see a player go down and feel that it was a trip, while another may feel he embellished, as an example. A good official establishes how the game will be called early on, so that the teams can know how to play.

I'd call the game as it happens in front of me. It's not the job of any referee to act outside of the rulebook and establish a game flow. If they want to call it tight, let them call it tight. However "I wanted to call a penalty against Nashville" shows motive to penalize a specific team. And to pretend like that isn't going to lead into a much bigger problem is being naive. I have no problem with refs wanting to call it tighter and penalizing both teams based on committed infractions, not based on WANT. That's my issue with all this.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed the 92 Goal campaign Gretzky put up.
Lol. Who wouldn’t want to see that? Seems like a no brainer to me. McDavid shouldn’t be hindered from using his speed which sets him apart from 99 percent of the league. What kind of backwards logic would it take to argue otherwise?

Reactions: McWeber

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Remember the time Tim Peel was standing 5 feet away from Noel Acciari, staring directly at him get blatantly slewfooted by Bozak and he let it go and then the Blues scored the game-deciding goal in a critical game 5 of a SCF immediately after?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Still objectively fairer reffing than the NFL or NBA.

You won't get rid of give and take until robot refs are officiating robot players.
Player: Come on refbot 163, that was totally a dive he fooled you! Robot ref:(Robot voice) my programing does not allow me to get fooled, this is illogical. Now get out of my f***ing face before i call another one on you!" Holy shit nhl programming is rigged.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
The NHL risks getting further exposed if they hit Peel financially. This way, they can all avoid further embarrassment.

If they hit Peel financially, what do you think he would do? Write a tell all book or go on TV to expose how the NHL has instructed the officials to call games? That is too much of a risk to the NHL.

Cost/Benefit is to pay him out and not hit him in the pocket book now and in the future.
The solution isn’t to penalize Peel financially. It’s to clean house at the top, period.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I'd call the game as it happens in front of me. It's not the job of any referee to act outside of the rulebook and establish a game flow. If they want to call it tight, let them call it tight. However "I wanted to call a penalty against Nashville" shows motive to penalize a specific team. And to pretend like that isn't going to lead into a much bigger problem is being naive. I have no problem with refs wanting to call it tighter and penalizing both teams based on committed infractions, not based on WANT. That's my issue with all this.
1) Where did I talk about acting outside of the rule book?

2) It absolutely is the job of an official to establish a flow to a game. Every officiating course in every sport talks about this.

3) It doesn’t show motive to penalize a team, it shows a ref who is talking to his partners about what happened. When you talk to your coworkers or friends do you say things that, without context or the full conversation, could be misconstrued? Can you show me anything in his quote that shows that his use of the word “want” is about him trying to “get” the Predators. Once again, there is no context and only a small snippet of a conversation.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Agnes Harkness Winking 24032021121240.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad