“There wasn’t much but I wanted a penalty against Nashville” UPD Tim Peel early retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think the NHL should get rid of the fines to coaches for ripping the refs at the post game press conferences. When a ref makes some horseshit calls against my team I want to hear my coach tear him to shreds after the game. It will make for more entertaining press conferences and help hold the refs accountable.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think the NHL should get rid of the fines to coaches for ripping the refs at the post game press conferences. When a ref makes some horseshit calls against my team I want to hear my coach tear him to shreds after the game. It will make for more entertaining press conferences and help hold the refs accountable.

Good luck the rest of the season after such comments. Zebra's with a grudge are dangerous animals.

After Duchene's comments watch Nashville's power play opportunities dry up the rest of the season. These guys defense their boys.

The flames did not become the most penalized team by accident.

Reactions: bigtim1988

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Surely Sutherland should be sanctioned too for failing to report Peel's actions?

Granted I think Sutherland is an awful referee but I wonder if people will accept the words of Burrows (even those who despise him) in the Auger fiasco.

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
I didn't watch the game but am wondering if it's obvious that this ref did this solely to keep the game close and entertaining (Ice-tilting) or if this was done as an "accumulation of infractions" calls. If it's the second one I don't have a problem with the call at all.

Either way, if it's ice tilting and it's clear that the NHL has given a directive to the refs to do so to keep games close, why should this ref be punished?

Reactions: middletoe

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Tim Peel was railroaded / scapegoated by the nhl. He’s taking the fall for Campbell and the old guards ineptitude. They handled this poorly and with no class to a long time employee. I hope his union takes them to task

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Tim Peel was railroaded / scapegoated by the nhl. He’s taking the fall for Campbell and the old guards ineptitude. They handled this poorly and with no class to a long time employee. I hope his union takes them to task

The man was previously suspended for drinking with a reporter and spilling the beans about game management. Its not like hes got a squeaky clean reputation himself.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Surely Sutherland should be sanctioned too for failing to report Peel's actions?

Granted I think Sutherland is an awful referee but I wonder if people will accept the words of Burrows (even those who despise him) in the Auger fiasco.

It's caught on a hot mic, and everyone heard it...but you want Sutherland to be sanctioned for not reporting an action that everyone saw and heard?

Reactions: Byron Bitz

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It's caught on a hot mic, and everyone heard it...but you want Sutherland to be sanctioned for not reporting an action that everyone saw and heard?

For real, what was he supposed to do? Raise his arm and say "Match penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, Number 20 of the officiating crew." ???

Reactions: bigtim1988

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Calling every little infraction takes away from the intensity, emotion, and spirit of the game. They use to just let the players play and settle grievances on their own.

Officiating only became so widely criticized and controversial once the refs got more power to police the game.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I didn't watch the game but am wondering if it's obvious that this ref did this solely to keep the game close and entertaining (Ice-tilting) or if this was done as an "accumulation of infractions" calls. If it's the second one I don't have a problem with the call at all.

Either way, if it's ice tilting and it's clear that the NHL has given a directive to the refs to do so to keep games close, why should this ref be punished?
I was watching it and don't really recall anything that would be accumulation type thing. I mean you think if that was the case it would have been more " I've let you get away with stuff and I've had enough " or at least something in that vein.

Granted you need to trust Duchene's judgement a bit on this, but his remarks were that it was not a normal type of conversation you would have. I'm pretty sure anyone that had been in the league that long has seen an accumulation type thing and I'm guessing that usually comes with a warning. I'm also guessing if that was the situation the NHL would have probably backed him rather than just sending him to the house.

Basically he got nailed for letting the cat out of the bag, and even if the cat has been running loose for years you don't tell people the cat is loose.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I was watching it and don't really recall anything that would be accumulation type thing. I mean you think if that was the case it would have been more " I've let you get away with stuff and I've had enough " or at least something in that vein.

Granted you need to trust Duchene's judgement a bit on this, but his remarks were that it was not a normal type of conversation you would have. I'm pretty sure anyone that had been in the league that long has seen an accumulation type thing and I'm guessing that usually comes with a warning. I'm also guessing if that was the situation the NHL would have probably backed him rather than just sending him to the house.

Basically he got nailed for letting the cat out of the bag, and even if the cat has been running loose for years you don't tell people the cat is loose.

Its sounds like he doesn't care because hes out the door in a few weeks. I can admire that attitude.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Calling every little infraction takes away from the intensity, emotion, and spirit of the game. They use to just let the players play and settle grievances on their own.

Officiating only became so widely criticized and controversial once the refs got more power to police the game.
It’s all about consistency. If you’re going to let stuff go, let it go. But if you’re going to call everything, call everything

don’t not call blatant hooks, holds, intereference, etc only to call a weak or phantom penalty on the other team because they’re ahead on the scoreboard or have had more power plays than the other team

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

It doesn't look like he's been sacked though. They just said he won't ref any more games, and he was retiring at the end of this season anyway.

They fire him, and Peel brings a case of wrongful dismissal, airing all the NHL's dirty game management laundry in public? Not something the NHL wants. Unless anyone has information otherwise, it sounds like Peel is on gardening leave till the end of the season.

Reactions: SouthNash

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Its sounds like he doesn't care because hes out the door in a few weeks. I can admire that attitude.
Oh I think that is probably what drove it. Everyone has known for years he has a pretty big ego, we also have known for years he hasn't exactly been Nashville's biggest fan ( especially when we had Neal ). His level of give a dang was probably pretty low so he didn't care. He never thought a mic would pick it up and what are the players and team do about it? Absolutely nothing, they get fined for saying a word.

Robotnik

Mar 24, 2021
Nobody is claiming the game is rigged, .
I am. I'm claiming that.

JFVNT0T.gif

Meme tier officiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad