Friedman: “The only rental who I think is getting a #1 is Kreider”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I have played the sport for 30+ years played jr a and college, coached jr A, and still skate with pros in the summer I am plenty familiar with the sport. You just made up numbers to try and prove your point. If you cant look at it remotely objectively maybe you shouldnt be dishing out advice.
Wow, damn, pretty embarrassing you did all that and still can't evaluate players

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wow, damn, pretty embarrassing you did all that and still can't evaluate players

More to evaluating players than just stats. Thats the point Pageau brings alot more to the table then just numbers.
Considering what Zucker got traded for Pageau is certainly getting a first.

Reactions: Artanis

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Zucker has this post season and 3 more years remaining on his contract. His return really has little bearing on the rental market.
Agreed Zucker is not a rental! Great bold move by pens who instantly got better ... once healthy this a the best top 9 forward group in the NHL.. crosby geno jake rust McCann/ hornqvist and now zucker only the leafs can challenge that.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Zucker has this post season and 3 more years remaining on his contract. His return really has little bearing on the rental market.
Pageau at 5.5 will be an easy signing for whoever trades for him. But i agree the term has some value but its not like its a bargain price for Zucker.

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
So how do you replace Kreider while Panarin is still in his prime? My guess is you don't. So they're gonna wind up rebuilding with an $11m player on the roster.

It's not that I think trading Kreider would be bad. It's that signing Panarin while in sell mode made no sense, and still makes no sense.

All that said, I really hope the price doesn't get out of hand. I hope TB is willing to offer a 1st + a conditional 2nd, or the equivalent. But I don't see us going higher than that. Even that offer would be a huge break from the norm for us.

Panarin was signed for 7 years. It's not a 3 year deal to fill the stands and sell jerseys. Given our depth of prospects we will bounce back very quick as well. Rebuilding was a much shorter period of time than for other teams(not all other teams).

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
i meant in a package obv the pick alone doesnt do it

Which is why we aren’t getting him. Kreider would be a luxury for us, not a need, and we’re already short on quality prospects as it is - we aren’t going to overpay for a rental who ultimately wouldn’t have a significant impact on our postseason outcome anyway.

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if NO 1st get thrown around(for rentals). Let's face it, we all agree that in a deep draft those picks are more important.

Kovalchuk: On a legit team won't be used properly as they would have to change a lot of the focus to be on him and his PP abilities. On MTL with 7 injuries its good, would fit in detroit or ottawa but not a contender who already has their shit together.

JGP: In a different draft year might fetch a guaranteed late 1st but not in a deep draft

Kreider: Definitely a 1st but also a legit prospect who is NHL ready is probably the ask. More importantly he might resign

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
I have played the sport for 30+ years played jr a and college, coached jr A, and still skate with pros in the summer I am plenty familiar with the sport. You just made up numbers to try and prove your point. If you cant look at it remotely objectively maybe you shouldnt be dishing out advice.

"A re-education" is a massive stretch and ridiculous statement. Re-evaluate those players and teams needs is the right statement.

Everyone is looking for a top 6 winger=CK
No one is looking for a top 2 C=JGP

JGP would be a 3rd C on almost every playoff team.. Or would have to jumble up the lines and mess with the mojo of a successful team ?!

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I think Pageau MIGHT get a first, only because of the value centers carry around the league. If Ottawa plays their cards right and let's it play out MAYBE they can fetch one. Otherwise I tend to agree with Elliotte.

Last edited:
Reactions: madinsomniac

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I like Pageau, and I certainly wouldn’t have minded the Pens trading for him had Zucker not been available, but his real value isn’t in his bloated and unsustainable shooting percentage this year... that is probably a fluke, its that he is a fast, defensively responsible center with some scoring touch who PKs and shotblocks and can win faceoffs well... he is the perfect 3c for a playoff team... that may well be worth a first for me, but I tend to agree that he probably fetches a bit less as a rental

Reactions: bert and flyfysher

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Pageau at 5.5 will be an easy signing for whoever trades for him. But i agree the term has some value but its not like its a bargain price for Zucker.

A rental vs 3.5 years of a player is a massive difference.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Are you a member of the Lightning front office in some capacity? Why the continued use of "Our", "We", and "Us"?
Lol, don't be like that.

People invest a lot of time, money and they tend to get emotionally attached to their favorite team.

It's the fans who spend a lot of $ that makes sure the teams don't end up going under. So I think it's okay to use those words, don't you?

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
"A re-education" is a massive stretch and ridiculous statement. Re-evaluate those players and teams needs is the right statement.

Everyone is looking for a top 6 winger=CK
No one is looking for a top 2 C=JGP

JGP would be a 3rd C on almost every playoff team.. Or would have to jumble up the lines and mess with the mojo of a successful team ?!

I agree. It was a ridiculous statement and for that, I apologise.

How hard this guy is pushing Pageua you would think it was his mom or something. Even questioning the fact that the Zucker trade got Minnesota a 1st round pick + and then using that as a benchmark that a rental Pageau "is certainly getting a first".

For someone who claims to have the all this hockey pedigree behind him, you would really think that his player valuation would be strong but these comments are just ludicrous.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I agree. It was a ridiculous statement and for that, I apologise.

How hard this guy is pushing Pageua you would think it was his mom or something. Even questioning the fact that the Zucker trade got Minnesota a 1st round pick + and then using that as a benchmark that a rental Pageau "is certainly getting a first".

For someone who claims to have the all this hockey pedigree behind him, you would really think that his player valuation would be strong but these comments are just ludicrous.
If you actually think this, based on your own posts on the subject, I can only conclude you must be Kreider's mom.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Agreed Zucker is not a rental! Great bold move by pens who instantly got better ... once healthy this a the best top 9 forward group in the NHL.. crosby geno jake rust McCann/ hornqvist and now zucker only the leafs can challenge that.
you forgetting about tampa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest