Friedman: “The only rental who I think is getting a #1 is Kreider”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Go to ~7:45 --> Elliotte Friedman from NHL Hockey on Rogers - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm

He went on to suggest that if Pageau got one, it would likely be a conditional pick. The Panthers might get one for Hoffman, if they make him available.

I found this to be interesting. The rental class is weak. Would the demand still be strong? Would we see the 1st round premium be attached to guys that might not return that pick in a different marketplace? Listening to these Friedman radio spots leading up to the deadline, the answer is trending to be no.

There’s lots of other interesting tidbits throughout that segment. It's well worth listening to the whole thing, imo.

Last edited:

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Well he's not wrong. Especially if Rangers are willing to retain some of his salary.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Go to ~7:45 --> Elliotte Friedman from NHL Hockey on Rogers - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm

He went on to suggest that if Pageau got one, it would likely be a conditional pick. The Panthers might get one for Hoffman, if they make him available.

I found this to be interesting. The rental class is weak. Would the demand still be strong? Would we see the 1st round premium be attached to guys that might not return that pick in a different marketplace? Listening to these Friedman radio spots leading up to the deadline, the answering is trending to be no.

There’s lots of other interesting tidbits throughout that segment. It's well worth listening to the whole thing, imo.

I agree with him. 3 firsts were traded for rentals last year (Karlsson, Duchene, Hayes)

And Kreider's the only player that's a rental who is likely available who is worth a first as a rental without conditions.

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Montreal likely won't be trading Petry or Tatar and they wouldn't really count as rentals anyway. Kovalchuk would likely fetch a second but if it comes to that, I'd rather just keep him if he'd be open to another year or two.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree.. its a bit crazy to move 1st round picks for rentals in the 1st place.

Maybe conditional 2nd(becomes 1st if he resigins, or said team makes conference finals)

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
The Rangers have been playing pretty good hockey lately and really aren’t that far out of a wild card spot.

Think it would take a pretty good offer to get Kreider out of NY

Reactions: egelband

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree.. its a bit crazy to move 1st round picks for rentals in the 1st place.

Maybe conditional 2nd(becomes 1st if he resigins, or said team makes conference finals)

Tired of getting late 1st Round picks that are not guaranteed to be a player as advertised. Rather get a NHL ready player. Teams would be willing to sacrifice a little of their future to go on a cup run now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Clear sellers of ufas are LA, SJ, Ana, Det, Ott, NJ, Buf, NYR. Likely Mon, Min added to list soon.

so I agree that of all ufas on these teams Kreider would get the highest price. Now, if one of these teams is selling a player with a contract past this season that is a different matter.

every other team is still in the mix.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The Rangers have been playing pretty good hockey lately and really aren’t that far out of a wild card spot.

Think it would take a pretty good offer to get Kreider out of NY
They're 5-5-0 in their last 10 games, still 9 points out with multiple teams to pass for a WC spot and Kreider is a UFA who they probably won't re-sign... he's almost certainly getting traded unless the Rangers win at least 6 or 7 of their next 8 games before the deadline and even then he still might move.

Reactions: Dijock94 and Kallio

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
if detroit packaged athanasou with glendenny , both with one more season after this and both at 50% retained with a short term cap dump of any size coming back , could they get a late 1st ? of note glenny can do an excellent job as scrappy 4th line and pk'ing center .

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm still not sure why the Rangers wouldn't just re-sign him, especially if they think they can compete sooner rather than later. He's almost certainly better than whoever they'll draft with the pick they'll get and next year will be his age 29 season so he's not exactly over the hill.

Looking at their cap situation it seems like they could absorb a new Kreider contract and while 2020-21 might be tight, they have ~$10mm in useless contracts off the books in 2021 when Smith and Staal become UFAs. With Lias Andersson looking like a total bust and Kakko and Chytil on the NHL roster the only forward prospect they seem to need a spot for in the near future is Kravstov, right?

Would love to see him shipped out of the division and preferably the conference as well and maybe I'm missing something but Kreider seems like a guy I'd want to keep.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am prepared for them to part ways, but I really hope they find a way to keep him in NY.

I’m more prepared this time than I was with Callahan. That one hurt. CK is just a player I wish they can find a way to keep. It’s gonna be very hard to replace him, imo. I really am praying and hope they can find common ground to keep him. He deserves to get paid but the Rangers current situation makes it tough.

Reactions: 518NYRfan

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019

I found this to be interesting. The rental class is weak. Would the demand still be strong? Would we see the 1st round premium be attached to guys that might not return that pick in a different marketplace? Listening to these Friedman radio spots leading up to the deadline, the answering is trending to be no.

Elliotte friedman is an idiot and a liar....Taylor Hall a rental already got a 1st.

Reactions: Wings4Life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad