Friedman: “Eriksson and Vancouver both want to figure out a trade.”

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
to be fair Ericksson and Sutters are bad contracts. rest is ok and decent. People just want to dump on Myers for the sake of it because he was signed by the Canucks. It's a hfboards.com thing to do.

I don't even consider Sutter's contract "bad" if he rebounds to pre-injury form. And considering the type of injury, I think he likely will.

In a world where Brandon Tanev is making 3.5 million for the next 6 years I think I'd prefer Sutter for 4.375mil for 2 years. Heck, if we retained a million in salary he'd probably have positive value at the deadline.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
His agent is apparently back peddling, saying the quotes were being blown up out of context. Sure. More like Tampa and San Jose and other teams looking to compete have less than 0 interest, but yeah, he will be happy here now.

Benning has also backpedaled because they both know they're stuck with each other. Both parties are now hoping this blows over and he can continue to play like a plug while making tons of money.

Reactions: MessierII

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't even consider Sutter's contract "bad" if he rebounds to pre-injury form. And considering the type of injury, I think he likely will.

In a world where Brandon Tanev is making 3.5 million for the next 6 years I think I'd prefer Sutter for 4.375mil for 2 years. Heck, if we retained a million in salary he'd probably have positive value at the deadline.

I don't we should be justifying our own poor contracts by comparing them to other team's poor contracts. But yeah, we can just ride out the next two years with no fuss.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don't we should be justifying our own poor contracts by comparing them to other team's poor contracts. But yeah, we can just ride out the next two years with no fuss.

Well sure, and duly noted. I like to look at it in the sense of "what would this player get if they were a free agent today?"

I have a feeling Sutter would probably get around 3.75mil for 2-3 years, and Eriksson would likely get 1.5mil for 1 year. So Sutter is probably about 0.62mil overpaid with reasonable term, and Eriksson is about 4.5mil overpaid with terrible term.

Reactions: Kallio

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
At this point I suspect Loui will start the season in Vancouver given that Antoine Roussel will miss the first few months of the season and if Loui's game doesn't improve could find himself in Utica by Christmas.

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Regarding Sutter, once teams around the league have a couple underperforming players, or get to the deadline and can afford to add depth, Sutter can probably be traded for positive value. There were a bunch of calls for him last summer, and nothing since then has changed his value:

“The Canucks had, like, four teams call about Brandon Sutter,” he said. “Brandon Sutter is the guy they’ve had the most calls on this off-season.”

Source: REPORT: Canucks have received multiple trade calls on Brandon Sutter

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Regarding Sutter, once teams around the league have a couple underperforming players, or get to the deadline and can afford to add depth, Sutter can probably be traded for positive value. There were a bunch of calls for him last summer, and nothing since then has changed his value:

“The Canucks had, like, four teams call about Brandon Sutter,” he said. “Brandon Sutter is the guy they’ve had the most calls on this off-season.”

Source: REPORT: Canucks have received multiple trade calls on Brandon Sutter

He had 6 points this year. Of course that changes his value. He missed 56 games for injury this season, 21 last season, and most of 2015/16 with injury. The "sports hernia" issue seems to be ongoing.

That being said, if Sutter has even an okay season and with only 1 more year after this on his contract, he could be moved at the deadline. Currently, however, he has negative value, and it's up to him to prove he doesn't.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
...and yet traded away their 1st round pick - either this year or next - without lottery protection!

The team is better now than at any point since 2015, but still, so many miss-steps.

Hard to blame just management too, ownership controls the directive. Gillis wanted to rebuild this thing in 2013, here we are 6 years later & the ship is just starting to turn around now.

Reactions: Son of Petter

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The team is better now than at any point since 2015, but still, so many miss-steps.

Hard to blame just management too, ownership controls the directive. Gillis wanted to rebuild this thing in 2013, here we are 6 years later & the ship is just starting to turn around now.

its actually lottery protection for 2020.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lucic for ericksson
Once again. No way the Flames take that. Lucic, despite being overpaid, is expected to come in and contribute. Eriksson is potentially looking at a move to the minors, despite playing on a team with a relatively shallow roster.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Once again. No way the Flames take that. Lucic, despite being overpaid, is expected to come in and contribute. Eriksson is potentially looking at a move to the minors, despite playing on a team with a relatively shallow roster.

You could reverse the names and it would sound just as credible. Lucic is junk. Eriksson is junk. We know what kind of junk we have with him, and Lucic is not appealing as a replacement, despite the new toy factor.

Eriksson to the minors isn't a commentary on his (lack of) skills, although they aren't a selling point, but we'd rather spend some of his money resigning players that contribute more (Boeser, Goldobin, Tryamkin later this year, maybe even Hutton).

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Imagine Eriksson gets 30 goals this year after jamming with Pettersson and Boeser for a particular stretch randomly.

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
At this point I suspect Loui will start the season in Vancouver given that Antoine Roussel will miss the first few months of the season and if Loui's game doesn't improve could find himself in Utica by Christmas.
Bad idea for a team desperate to make the playoffs. Or for a manager desperate to make the playoffs. If the Canucks in fact do make it do you really think it’s by any more than the skin of their teeth? Having a malcontent around seems risky for a team that can afford to lose points as little as Vancouver can.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

He wasn’t being serious about the Erickson for Lucic comment.

Reactions: Cogburn

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
He had 6 points this year. Of course that changes his value. He missed 56 games for injury this season, 21 last season, and most of 2015/16 with injury. The "sports hernia" issue seems to be ongoing.

That being said, if Sutter has even an okay season and with only 1 more year after this on his contract, he could be moved at the deadline. Currently, however, he has negative value, and it's up to him to prove he doesn't.

The "Catch 22" is if Sutter has even an okay season he will be retained as playoff depth. Unless we're completely out of it by then, but I don't see that happening unless we have injuries to key players.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Lol the Canucks actually have better wing depth than the flames. While the flames may have better top end depth, Canucks have much better depth overall.

Gaudreau, tkachuk, lindholm, Bennett, frolik, mangiapane, dube, Lucic, czarnik, Lomberg,

Boeser, Miller, baertschi, ferland, Pearson, roussel, Virtanen, leivo, motte, eriksson.

4-10 Canucks winger depth blows the flames 4-10.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Neither Eriksson nor Lucic, even ignoring salary, are better than any of the Canucks' best 8 wingers (Boeser, Miller, Pearson, Ferland, Roussel, Baertschi, Leivo, Virtanen). Both are complete passengers at this point, and the only reason Lucic wouldn't be in the minors this season for the Canucks is that he has a NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad