Friedman: “Eriksson and Vancouver both want to figure out a trade.”

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo there was a window where he could be traded and it's passed. Either Benning couldn't do it, or Eriksson enforced his NMC so much that a trade was virtually impossible.

I imagine if he gets traded it would be to somewhere like Ottawa, and the opportunity there for Vancouver is they could pay extra for Ottawa to take most/all that salary with little coming the other way, like how Toronto traded Marleau. But would be costly to do that, but cap space is valuable. Maybe they could even sign Gardiner, etc

Reactions: Westsyde

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
What did he say?
Oh boy. Well started with him being upset as he in his mind feels he deserves a top 6 spot. Now for his actual words, calling out the coach saying they don’t get along 100% because he’s not gifting eriksson that top 6 spot. Literally said because he’s not given the same confidence other coaches have given him. He forgot how he was gifted a spot on the top line with the sedins and slowly played himself down to the 4th line over the years. How he has been given opportunity after opportunity and failed.

Now from there he ignored numerous calls from the gm Benning for the next week or so after the interview came out. Didn’t call him back either

I wouldn’t even bother sending this clown to Utica. Probably hurts the locker room with his piss poor attitude. I’d send him to like Laval. Hope Montreal is willing to to take him on. Too bad we can’t send him to kalamazoo. If we have to send him to Utica and he does have this same poor attitude, I’d make sure he doesn’t lace up in a single game and only rides the bus til he refuses to report.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think there's still a few deals to be made out there for guys in this situation. Ladd, Okposo, Ryan, Kesler (depending on injury), Backes, etc.. are all guys that could use a change of scenery in bad contract for bad contract deals.

Hopefully Vancouver can figure something out before training camp.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Every year we see GMs with cap space feeling the need to improve their team, or at least showing their owners and fans they are doing something constructive in the off season, signing aging UFAs to long term deals.
It just doesn't turn out well.
Can't blame the player for taking the money, but geez why do GM feel the need to spend that cap room on a middling player. Cap is "king" now a days. My pick this year worse long term UFA signing, Zuccarello of the Wild. Surely at some time it will cause the GM to be fired. Oops, it has happened already.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oh boy. Well started with him being upset as he in his mind feels he deserves a top 6 spot. Now for his actual words, calling out the coach saying they don’t get along 100% because he’s not gifting eriksson that top 6 spot. Literally said because he’s not given the same confidence other coaches have given him. He forgot how he was gifted a spot on the top line with the sedins and slowly played himself down to the 4th line over the years. How he has been given opportunity after opportunity and failed.

Now from there he ignored numerous calls from the gm Benning for the next week or so after the interview came out. Didn’t call him back either

I wouldn’t even bother sending this clown to Utica. Probably hurts the locker room with his piss poor attitude. I’d send him to like Laval. Hope Montreal is willing to to take him on. Too bad we can’t send him to kalamazoo. If we have to send him to Utica and he does have this same poor attitude, I’d make sure he doesn’t lace up in a single game and only rides the bus til he refuses to report.
I agree that using the AHL team as a place to dump players is a bad idea if you're serious about its purpose as a pipeline for young talent. There might be exceptions where the vet would go down there with the right attitude and its needed.

I was always thinking that about people saying that Lucic's NMC meant he can't get sent down. But, why would we have wanted that? I'd rather the spots go to Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Marody, Benson, Currie, etc.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Eriksson to the minors doesn't mean Utica for sure. Gagner got sent to the Marlies, and in the past we've hosted various overagers in Utica or Manitoba or Chicago from other NHL teams. I'm sure another team would find use for Eriksson in the minors if they're not footing the bill, alleged attitude problems or not.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I think there's still a few deals to be made out there for guys in this situation. Ladd, Okposo, Ryan, Kesler (depending on injury), Backes, etc.. are all guys that could use a change of scenery in bad contract for bad contract deals.

Hopefully Vancouver can figure something out before training camp.

Yeah... about that. No one is trading an insured LTIR contract for the similar dollar value contract of a guy that is going to eat up cap, cost actual dollars and expect to play.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I agree that using the AHL team as a place to dump players is a bad idea if you're serious about its purpose as a pipeline for young talent. There might be exceptions where the vet would go down there with the right attitude and its needed.

I was always thinking that about people saying that Lucic's NMC meant he can't get sent down. But, why would we have wanted that? I'd rather the spots go to Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Marody, Benson, Currie, etc.
Just because you send him down to the AHL doesn't mean you need to let him play and waste valuable icetime. He can be a black ace in the AHL since he thinks he's too good to be a 3rd liner in the NHL.

brent 44

Jul 11, 2010
Here's what I think will end up happening. Loui is sent to Utica and he sucks it up for a year. On July 15 2020, he gets a 3 million dollar signing bonus from the Canucks, he then retires on July 16.

Loui leaves 5 million on the table, but can go sign in Sweden or the KHL.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Eriksson wants a trade. Vancouver wants a trade. Canucks fans want a trade. That's about where it ends, though. It's not about the NTC any more, but willing partners.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Eriksson wants a trade. Vancouver wants a trade. Canucks fans want a trade. That's about where it ends, though. It's not about the NTC any more, but willing partners.

Wasn't it reported that Eriksson used his NTC to nix a trade for Lucic at the deadline? He might be doing the same to a place like Ottawa.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
my guess is they give up a prospect like Tyler Madden or Jett woo or something like that to get rid of of him.

Benning only thinks in the short term, so I wouldn't be surprised to see picks going out the door as well.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Here's what I think will end up happening. Loui is sent to Utica and he sucks it up for a year. On July 15 2020, he gets a 3 million dollar signing bonus from the Canucks, he then retires on July 16.

Loui leaves 5 million on the table, but can go sign in Sweden or the KHL.

This sounds more like Canucks fans whishfull thinking than possibly happening...

Besides, if the Nucks burry him in minors for the last 3 years, it will probably make UFAs hesitant to sign in Vancouver... I don't know if they can really afford to take that hit.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Ottawa could take Eriksson and Sutter for Ryan and would be paying less in real dollars.
Question is, what would Vancouver give?
Very interesting idea, Melnyk would save 3.5M with this move. However, would Melnyk having to take on an extra 1M in signing bonuses be a potential issue?

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
This sounds more like Canucks fans whishfull thinking than possibly happening...

Besides, if the Nucks burry him in minors for the last 3 years, it will probably make UFAs hesitant to sign in Vancouver... I don't know if they can really afford to take that hit.

No it wouldn't.

Any player with half a brain knows you need to perform in this league to stay in this league.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->