Friedman: “Eriksson and Vancouver both want to figure out a trade.”

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Lol the Canucks actually have better wing depth than the flames. While the flames may have better top end depth, Canucks have much better depth overall.

Gaudreau, tkachuk, lindholm, Bennett, frolik, mangiapane, dube, Lucic, czarnik, Lomberg,

Boeser, Miller, baertschi, ferland, Pearson, roussel, Virtanen, leivo, motte, eriksson.

4-10 Canucks winger depth blows the flames 4-10.
I don’t think you can say “much better” or “canucks 4-10 blows [out of the water i assume...] flames 4-10” when those are the players you’re talking about...

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Neither Eriksson nor Lucic, even ignoring salary, are better than any of the Canucks' best 8 wingers (Boeser, Miller, Pearson, Ferland, Roussel, Baertschi, Leivo, Virtanen). Both are complete passengers at this point, and the only reason Lucic wouldn't be in the minors this season for the Canucks is that he has a NMC.
Lucic of horribly overpaid, but I disagree. The Flames got rid of beartschi as there was no room for him in their roster, but they brought in Lucic.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
To MoDo for the rights to Peter Forsberg or to Frölunda for the the rs to Niklas Andersson.

Seriously, does this guy have anything left in the tank?

The reason Sweden couldn't beat Finland in the world champs was that Loui saw so much icetime.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Why do they call Nylander diminished? He will bounce back.

Eriksson is finished though.
Because Nylander has shown zero evidence of being able to put in an effort level that would make him a legitimate NHLer. Last season wasn't the only year his laziness hurt the team. Even if he starts scoring, he'll need a major attitude adjustment to become a useful player.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Lucic of horribly overpaid, but I disagree. The Flames got rid of beartschi as there was no room for him in their roster, but they brought in Lucic.

I don't think you can draw any conclusions at all from trades that happened four years apart. These are completely different players you're talking about today. Given salary and situation there isn't anyone in the league that would trade Baertschi for Lucic today.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lol the Canucks actually have better wing depth than the flames. While the flames may have better top end depth, Canucks have much better depth overall.

Gaudreau, tkachuk, lindholm, Bennett, frolik, mangiapane, dube, Lucic, czarnik, Lomberg,

Boeser, Miller, baertschi, ferland, Pearson, roussel, Virtanen, leivo, motte, eriksson.

4-10 Canucks winger depth blows the flames 4-10.

Not going to lie. Wouldn't move Bennett, Dube, Frolik or Mangiapane for anyone not named Ferland in that 'blows out of water' depth.
Let's be real here, though, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm are in a class that Boeser only kind of touches. The rest are in a much lower category of player.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Could some sort of mutual termination work? His salary dropped quite a bit and an easier t chance to refresh his career on another team could look appealing.

He only has $1M to collect for the rest of this season but the final two seasons are $4M each. And that's a huge grey area as there's already a method in place to terminate contracts: the buyout.

Realistically the Canucks are just stuck with him, and can trade or buyout in the final year if need be.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Not going to lie. Wouldn't move Bennett, Dube, Frolik or Mangiapane for anyone not named Ferland in that 'blows out of water' depth.
Let's be real here, though, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm are in a class that Boeser only kind of touches. The rest are in a much lower category of player.
I wouldn’t put lindholm in that tier yet based off 1 season. But yes Calgary’s top 3 beats the Canucks easily. It’s the latter 5 where the Canucks have better depth which is where eriksson and Lucic would play. That’s why that’s the important factor here. Virtanen is basically a year younger and less developed version of Bennett. Both seem like decent 3rd Line wingers . For the Canucks I’d rather have Virtanen than Bennett because of his speed.

I wouldn’t trade any of the Canucks 5-10 (forgot goldobin too) for anyone in Calgary’s save dube. Even then that really depends on what. Good ahl numbers. Looked good in the games I saw him but didn’t produce much. Mangiapane is a worse goldobin

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Could some sort of mutual termination work? His salary dropped quite a bit and an easier t chance to refresh his career on another team could look appealing.

He's got $13m owed to him over the next three seasons. No way that works. Also a buyout isn't even that desirable. Vancouver are stuck with him unless they work out a deal with another team.

He only has $1M to collect for the rest of this season but the final two seasons are $4M each. And that's a huge grey area as there's already a method in place to terminate contracts: the buyout.

Realistically the Canucks are just stuck with him, and can trade or buyout in the final year if need be.

Plus the signing bonuses not already paid. That's guaranteed money for him.

EASONCLAUSECAP HIT
q2.svg
AAV
q2.svg
P. BONUSES
q2.svg
S. BONUSES
q2.svg
BASE SALARY
q2.svg
TOTAL SALARY
q2.svg
MINORS SALARY
q2.svg
2016-17NMC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$7,000,000$1,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000
2017-18NMC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$7,000,000$1,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000
2018-19NTC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$6,000,000$1,000,000$7,000,000$7,000,000
2019-20NTC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$4,000,000$1,000,000$5,000,000$5,000,000
2020-21Modified NTC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$1,000,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
2021-22Modified NTC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$1,000,000$3,000,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
TOTAL$36,000,000$36,000,000$0$28,000,000$8,000,000$36,000,000$36,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Sure is a lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread by some Canucks fans

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Pettersson...?

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
I wouldn’t put lindholm in that tier yet based off 1 season. But yes Calgary’s top 3 beats the Canucks easily. It’s the latter 5 where the Canucks have better depth which is where eriksson and Lucic would play. That’s why that’s the important factor here. Virtanen is basically a year younger and less developed version of Bennett. Both seem like decent 3rd Line wingers . For the Canucks I’d rather have Virtanen than Bennett because of his speed.

I wouldn’t trade any of the Canucks 5-10 (forgot goldobin too) for anyone in Calgary’s save dube. Even then that really depends on what. Good ahl numbers. Looked good in the games I saw him but didn’t produce much. Mangiapane is a worse goldobin
Nobody takes Virtanen over Bennett. Not even with Bennett making twice the money. And I prefer the Canucks to the Flames. Bennett is just more of a guy you want on your team ahead of Jake.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Just a few points.
- Bennett is a fast player. Like, quite fast. Not sure where you're getting Virtanen as the speedier player exactly? Not saying that Bennett is a world beater, because he's been a draft ranking bust for us... but he's got a lot of promise. Not sure how many people would take Jake before Sammy.
- Oddly enough, Michael Frolik is actually probably the best player on that list even with Ferland on the list (as someone who really, really likes Ferly).
- Mangiapane produced at a 0.25 clip, versus Goldobin, at a 0.42 clip... averaging 3-4 minutes less a night, and 0 Power play time (where Goldobin had 9 points). In fact, remove the PP and they average the same 5v5 level of play... with one guy on the 4th line and 3-4 minutes less a night

If there's a position that Calgary is loaded, it's on defence and down the left side. Considering Lucic will likely be a 4th liner for us this year... He'll play a more important role for us than what Ericksson would have brought to the table.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Just a few points.
- Bennett is a fast player. Like, quite fast. Not sure where you're getting Virtanen as the speedier player exactly? Not saying that Bennett is a world beater, because he's been a draft ranking bust for us... but he's got a lot of promise. Not sure how many people would take Jake before Sammy.
- Oddly enough, Michael Frolik is actually probably the best player on that list even with Ferland on the list (as someone who really, really likes Ferly).
- Mangiapane produced at a 0.25 clip, versus Goldobin, at a 0.42 clip... averaging 3-4 minutes less a night, and 0 Power play time (where Goldobin had 9 points). In fact, remove the PP and they average the same 5v5 level of play... with one guy on the 4th line and 3-4 minutes less a night

If there's a position that Calgary is loaded, it's on defence and down the left side. Considering Lucic will likely be a 4th liner for us this year... He'll play a more important role for us than what Ericksson would have brought to the table.
There’s not a chance in hell Bennett is faster than Virtanen. Virtanen is a near elite level skater.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There’s not a chance in hell Bennett is faster than Virtanen. Virtanen is a near elite level skater.

Faster? No. Speedier player? Maybe.
Having watched Jake for like 3 years as a Hitman, I know that guy has some absolute burners on him, but it's North South speed to me. It's one of the major reasons he dominated in the Dub (along with being bigger than 4/5th of the league).

I tend to like Sam as the shiftier skater and processing speed 100%. But hey, you're 100% right, the faster skater is easily Virtanen; the guy can move.

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
Faster? No. Speedier player? Maybe.
Having watched Jake for like 3 years as a Hitman, I know that guy has some absolute burners on him, but it's North South speed to me. It's one of the major reasons he dominated in the Dub (along with being bigger than 4/5th of the league).

I tend to like Sam as the shiftier skater and processing speed 100%. But hey, you're 100% right, the faster skater is easily Virtanen; the guy can move.
This is 100% true. Straight line speed Virtanen is elite. But nearly everything else please give me Bennett. Except that stupid mustache stuff. Save it for Movember.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Just get Eriksson to get a doctors note stating he is allergic to the hockey equipment and then trade him to Ottawa where the insurance will cover 80%

the thing is Eriksson wants to play.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Simple. Eriksson goes to the KHL and takes the contract with him.

Why would a KHL team do that? And the contract is not transferable.

There would have to be a mutual termination, which the player would only agree to if he (1) knew he could make the same money elsewhere; and (2) he didn't mind playing elsewhere.

Eriksson's FMV is likely $0, so it's not going to happen. And non-Russian players play in the KHL only when they need the money and can't get it elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad