Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
If you think Erik Karlsson is back and can continue this level of play into the next few seasons, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. From the games I've seen, he's been incredible this year. Controlling games and possession like few I've ever seen.

I've seen a few posts where folks say "Player XYZ will guarantee the cup". Of all the available players out there right now, no player comes close to guaranteeing a cup win like the 2022-23 version of Erik Karlsson.
so thats no $ out and how much in?

Reactions: Kegs

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Koppanen should get an longer look- the Bruins extended him and surprised most (all?) here who watch the PBruins closely. They must see something there that is worth persisting with and this is probably it for him in terms of opportunity here. Give him 8 more games or so and see what you have. The team is rolling, Koppanen over Beecher is not going to knock the wheels off this wagon.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
How has this Koppanen dude earned anything? Are his providence numbers stellar or something? I feel like if the jag’s of the world were to unite and form a new union the name koppanen would be in the running for president

Hall -- Coyle -- Frederic
Foligno -- Koppanen -- Greer

Is it a $$$ thing? You nailed it with Koppanen. He is basically a JAG in Providence, nevermind Boston. He's a good organizational player. You need guys like him to fill out the depth, but he wouldn't have been my first choice.

As much as it would suck for Providence, I would have gone with Lettieri. Maybe the Bruins don't want to risk losing him to waivers once Nosek is back?

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I’ve said it above but signing Horvat means we need to clear $8-9M and replace those guys with ELC. So you’re looking at Forbort, Grizz AND Carlo, unless you’re trading Coyle, Hall, Marchand etc. Unless the cap goes up $4M - and even if it does really - it’s just not feasible. Especially not for Bo Horvat as an upgrade to Zacha at center.
You can all go too a happy place when you get Hovart and soon will regret that contract , you heard it here first..........

fwiw I love Karlsson as a player but I don't think we need him and replacing Carlo with him completely changes the makeup of this team. it would be like trading in your pickup truck for a sports car. it might be fun but not necessarily practical
Well said

Reactions: hrdpuk

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Koppanen should get a longer look- the Bruins extended him and surprised most (all?) here who watch the PBruins closely. They must see something there that is worth persisting with and this is probably it for him in terms of opportunity here. Give him 8 more games or so and see what you have. The team is rolling, Koppanen over Beecher is not going to knock the wheels off this wagon.
With Nosek out they’re looking for a 4th line C who compliments the group. Koppanen is over 60% at the dot and would be their only left handed center. Good size and defensive game - he’s a square peg for the square hole in the roster

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Koppanen also has 3 years and 178 more AHL games on Beecher. Koppanen's first season in Providence, he had 2 points in 45 games. Beecher's at 3G/6A/9P in 30GP. Kind of a weird comparison?
I think someone on the prior page had said that Beecher should be called up and the reply was that koppanen should be called up before Beecher which at this time I agree with. As you mentioned, no need to rush Beecher up, just let him get the full year in Providence and develop

Reactions: MyNameIsJonas

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Sweeney has a good track record of drafting and developing D, also trading for undervalued D at the deadline. Sweeney does not have a good track record with Centres ..... although it is costly, I might trade Carlo and spare parts cap dumps for Horvat to get him to sign long term. First I have a serious conversation with Krejci and Bergeron about if they serious about returning next year ... if they are >50% sure then I keep Carlo.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'm the opposite. I would either make another Lindholm/Hall type trade and sign or do nothing. In other words, Horvat or bust.

Those rinky dink trades have a cost too. You need to pay a 4th or a 5th to acquire the player, then you need to pay a similar asset to move Smith/Reilly to make room. You need those picks too, as once in a while they become a Swayman/Marchand or a useful depth piece.

If ever there was a case for a team doing nothing at the deadline, this is it.
I don’t think they have the cap space to sign anyone they trade for... and I’m not convinced anyone we could add would actually improve our top6.

Fwiw, those “rinky dink” trades don’t have to cost picks, they can be for prospects we are ready to move on from, like Koppanen (who IMO is being showcased), or Ahcan, Steen... The Bruins once got a former waiver wire player named Mark Recchi for Karsums and Lashoff.

And I think we’re downplaying the value of role players. Kelly, Peverley, Paille, Campbell, McQuaid... all critical in 2011. I think we lost to the Isles because we couldn’t replace Carlo and Miller. This team has no RH D beyond the top 3 and no RH forwards in the bottom6 (other than Coyle).

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
I don’t think they have the cap space to sign anyone they trade for... and I’m not convinced anyone we could add would actually improve our top6.

Fwiw, those “rinky dink” trades don’t have to cost picks, they can be for prospects we are ready to move on from, like Koppanen (who IMO is being showcased), or Ahcan, Steen... The Bruins once got a former waiver wire player named Mark Recchi for Karsums and Lashoff.

And I think we’re downplaying the value of role players. Kelly, Peverley, Paille, Campbell, McQuaid... all critical in 2011. I think we lost to the Isles because we couldn’t replace Carlo and Miller. This team has no RH D beyond the top 3 and no RH forwards in the bottom6 (other than Coyle).
enter one Nick Bjugstad for your bottom 6 Center consideration. ... he is 6'6 209 lbs makes $900,000 UFA this summer has 11 g 9a 20pts this season and is righty... make it happen.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
With the recent injury to Carlo,(fortunately it's not serious) but if was we would be in bad shape.
Team needs a solid 3rd line upgrade. Someone who can move up the lineup if necessary.
Preferably a shutdown type D.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
so thats no $ out and how much in?

Oh I have no idea. Might not even be remotely possible.

All I'm saying is of all the guys out there on the trade market, if there is any one player who would put this Bruins team completely over the top, it's Erik Karlsson right now. I'm just enamored by what I've seen of him this year.

If they could actually get him it would be unbelievable. I have no idea how they could pull it off cap-wise. If they are willing to pony up a premium for Bo Horvat, I'd take Erik Karlsson over him ever day of the week. They aren't even in the same stratosphere IMO as players or their impact on the ice.

All that being said, a top 3 D of McAvoy/Lindholm/Karlsson + Swayman/Ullmark tandem this year and the next 3-4 gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over. Pure fantasy stuff probably but it's fun to think about.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
If Seattle adds big like Horvat I target Geekie from them and keep your eyes on what Larkin does in the off-season. Let him know that the home he should start looking for is between Hall St and Pastrnak Ave.
I’ve seen Geekie’s name get mentioned a few times on here, is there something I’m missing about him? He’s still young, but he‘s never even been .5 PPG before, not exactly what we need.

That being said though, if we were gonna go after young, RFA center I’d wouldn’t mind taking a look at Morgan Frost. Started the year slow, but he’s been on fire lately and looks like he’s finally rounding into an NHLer. Plus I thought I read somewhere that the flyers were willing to trade him.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Sweeney has a good track record of drafting and developing D, also trading for undervalued D at the deadline. Sweeney does not have a good track record with Centres ..... although it is costly, I might trade Carlo and spare parts cap dumps for Horvat to get him to sign long term. First I have a serious conversation with Krejci and Bergeron about if they serious about returning next year ... if they are >50% sure then I keep Carlo.
Problem is, the best centers usually go early in the draft. By the time the Bruins are on board, all elite centers may be out of stock. Other than 2015 (which was the obvious missed opportunity), how many elite centers have been available at Bruins picks? At the end of the first round, a good third liner is a more reasonable expectation than a top of the line-up player. We got that with Frederick (if he can transition to center in the NHL), too early to make the call on Beecher.

Last edited:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

All I'm saying is of all the guys out there on the trade market, if there is any one player who would put this Bruins team completely over the top, it's Erik Karlsson right now. I'm just enamored by what I've seen of him this year.

If they could actually get him it would be unbelievable. I have no idea how they could pull it off cap-wise. If they are willing to pony up a premium for Bo Horvat, I'd take Erik Karlsson over him ever day of the week. They aren't even in the same stratosphere IMO as players or their impact on the ice.

All that being said, a top 3 D of McAvoy/Lindholm/Karlsson + Swayman/Ullmark tandem this year and the next 3-4 gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over. Pure fantasy stuff probably but it's fun to think about.
only problem is our forwards would all be rookies or retreads
first in league is goals against, last in league goals scored

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky

We have a top 3 D. McAvoy,Carlo,Lindholm.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Problem is, the best centers usually go early in the draft. By the time the Bruins are on board, all elite centers may be out of stock. Other than 2015 (which was the obvious missed opportunity), how may elite centers have been available at Bruins picks? At the end of the first round, a good third liner is a more reasonable expectation than a top of the line-up player. We got that with Frederick (if he can transition to center in the NHL), too early to make the call on Beecher.
Krejci and Bergeron were drafted in the 3rd and 2nd round respectively.....

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Krejci and Bergeron were drafted in the 3rd and 2nd round respectively.....
Yeah, but other than 2015, who are those Bergerons and Krejcis that we missed out on?

2016 you have Tage Thompson who was still available when Bruins picked. But that pick was McAvoy. Then you have Jordan Kyrou available at our second pick (Frederick), good player the last couple of seasons, took him until age 23-24 to break out, but I think he doesn’t even play center nowadays.

2017 Robert Thomas was picked 2 picks after Vaak. So there is one good center we missed out on. Nothing special after that.

2018 our first pick was 57th, in a draft that has not produced any star centers so far

2019 we picked Beecher 31st. The career leading scorer of all centers picked after him is Shane Pinto with 26 points.

I will not do 2020s, because I misplaced my crystal ball, but we only had 1 first in three drafts and picked Lysell.

All in all, I see one Robert Thomas as the only real missed opportunity at taking a center we could have develop into our top-6. Obviously, as I mentioned in my earlier post, 2015 is another story.

15+ seasons ago.

Nobodies saying you can't find them later in the draft but the odds are heavily against you.

That's the point @Ivo is making.
Closer to 20 seasons ago, but yes, that was my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad