Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I honestly don’t understand anyone who doesn’t see this too. Why would you mess with the top 9/top 4 of a team that’s 36-5-4?
Bergeron and Krejci are over age 36 and having Horvat for a playoff run not only provides a security blanket in case of center injuries it helps improve the odds of landing Horvat in the offseason. Adding Horvat also sends the right message to Bergeron/Krejci and future bruins. We appreciate your service and will over the years. We want to see you win the cup. It's that easy and this fan hopes to see Sweeney do whatever it takes.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It can't be many folk...it's a weird name to be throwing out there for trade proposal. No way the bruins are trading Carlo.

They will not trade Carlo. I would trade him if I could.

I am not a fan. He is a modest success as a stay at home D. At best. He does not use his size, and I'm not asking that he be a physical player, which he is not, and never will be.

The guy has been concussed at least five times.

Good luck to him, but I see Hal Gill, without the Cup.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I am not a fan. He is a modest success as a stay at home D. At best. He does not use his size, and I'm not asking that he be a physical player, which he is not, and never will be.

I'm surprised to see you saying this...all good. We all see things differently. Did you watch the clip above? PL Dubois comments?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
How much would Meier cost as a pure rental?
Would love to see him on the Bruins...would be a perfect fit and a consistent goal scorer. Already has 27 this season.

A physically dominant winger with the ability to play in a skill or character role. In the offensive end, Meier is very aware and gets himself into spaces where he can easily make seeing eye passes or snap hard, accurate shots. Can impact the game in a number of different ways, and is very consistent in his efforts. All-in-all, the kind of versatile player who you can put on a skill line, and trust to create dangerous chances, or on a shutdown line, and trust to help stop pucks from going into your net.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm surprised to see you saying this...all good. We all see things differently. Did you watch the clip above? PL Dubois comments?

I'll take a look.

Realize he's worn the "A," he's a player rep, and I'm sure he's a good guy. I don't believe he's a bad player. But I struggle to think of what he brings to the B's, bottom line, Servicable, at best.

This season, as with most under Sunny Jim, Carlo has been fine. As noted, he's not a bruiser and will never be.

I'm probably wrong, and not looking closely enough, but I don't see what he brings.

Again, will check.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowfish

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Carlo is an elite skater for his size. Hal Gill? Come on man.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I wonder who DS going to add with his 1st rounder.
Many won't like this but my guess is Frederic...Vancouver looking for a young center. He fits the bill and has finally been showing some promise and is a former first rounder. Bruins have the players to fill his role/gap moving forward. I believe he's a wanted commodity and rumours were bruins were willing to trade him.

It's tough to make it through the playoffs without a D injury. That's the Bruins weak spot as far as depth goes. If an injury to one of the top 4 D happens, who moves up?
They don't need to pay big money for a 5-6 D That can move up if necessary. You can't have Clifton on the top 4 in the playoffs and expect success.
Maybe we'll get lucky this year and not have a top 4 D injury. I doubt Sweeney will take that chance.

Off course this pure speculation on my part. we'll see what happens soon enough.ay
Bruins will add a Forbert like D man. Would love to see a Gudas lookalike D man.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrdpuk

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Bergeron and Krejci are over age 36 and having Horvat for a playoff run not only provides a security blanket in case of center injuries it helps improve the odds of landing Horvat in the offseason. Adding Horvat also sends the right message to Bergeron/Krejci and future bruins. We appreciate your service and will over the years. We want to see you win the cup. It's that easy and this fan hopes to see Sweeney do whatever it takes.

Will not happen. Great if it did.

Center (centre) is, hilariously, not an issue this season, given PB and DK.

Adding for future would be great. But, too much to give up at present (Lysell, Lohrei, yet another first round draft selection. NO.)

The need now is yet more depth. Plenthy deep, 2023. Go deeper.

Luke Schenn,

Can you point me to the clip?

Thank you,

:cool:

Reactions: Kegs

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Adding for future would be great. But, too much to give up at present (Lysell, Lohrei, yet another first round draft selection. NO.)

Luke Schenn,

Thank you,

4:11 mark.

Reactions: GordonHowe

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I liked this snippet -
FF to 4:11

Luke Schenn,

Thank you,

See the reply above. As for Carlo what makes him so great is his size and reach. He makes it difficult to get to the middle of the ice on the rush. He keeps everything to the outside which makes goalies lives easier. Another stat for him is that he is tied with Grz for least amount of goals for 5V5 while on ice for the Bruins at 14.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I'm in the camp that Carlo should be considered as trade bait (and other minor pieces) to get Horvat and Schenn. Yes Carlo is good and our team D would be weaker even with the addition of Schenn but our offense would be even more ridiculously good with Horvat. To be clear I don't want to move Carlo and would explore all other trade options for Horvat and Schenn that don't include core pieces of the current roster but I wouldn't make it a sticking point. If I'm Vancouver I'd ask for Carlo because he is good (albeit injury prone) and on a great contract if he stays healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Problem is, the best centers usually go early in the draft. By the time the Bruins are on board, all elite centers may be out of stock. Other than 2015 (which was the obvious missed opportunity), how many elite centers have been available at Bruins picks? At the end of the first round, a good third liner is a more reasonable expectation than a top of the line-up player. We got that with Frederick (if he can transition to center in the NHL), too early to make the call on Beecher.

The first part of your post is absolutely true - most top centers go in the top of the first round. However, elite centers are still to be found in the late first and second round. The Bruins brutally missed on Robert Thomas and Josh Norris who went in the two picks after Vaakanainen pick in 2017. Wyatt Johnston, who projects extremely well, went 23 overall in 2023. Sebastian Aho was a second rounder in 2015.

I would estimate that an average of about one quality top 6 center a year goes in the late first to third round, although there may be multiple some year and zero other years. The hard part is identifying the player, and not missing out on a great player at a different position (e.g. Jason Robertson) because you are overly focused on center.

Reactions: bbfan419

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Many won't like this but my guess is Frederic...Vancouver looking for a young center. He fits the bill and has finally been showing some promise and is a former first rounder. Bruins have the players to fill his role/gap moving forward.

Bruins will add a Forbert like D man. Would love to see a Gudas lookalike D man.

They will not trade Freddie at this point.

He's a center. They're going to need plenty of options in that dept. after PB and DK depart, Not a betting man but both will be gone after this season, whatever the outcome.

Trent has shown enough this year to warrent a new contract. He's young, he's got his "nasty," he can score, he's a natural center.

Keeper. For now.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I don’t think they have the cap space to sign anyone they trade for... and I’m not convinced anyone we could add would actually improve our top6.

Fwiw, those “rinky dink” trades don’t have to cost picks, they can be for prospects we are ready to move on from, like Koppanen (who IMO is being showcased), or Ahcan, Steen... The Bruins once got a former waiver wire player named Mark Recchi for Karsums and Lashoff.

And I think we’re downplaying the value of role players. Kelly, Peverley, Paille, Campbell, McQuaid... all critical in 2011. I think we lost to the Isles because we couldn’t replace Carlo and Miller. This team has no RH D beyond the top 3 and no RH forwards in the bottom6 (other than Coyle).

I agree that the bolded players were all critical to the Cup run in 2011 and that depth players are hugely important. That said, we did not acquire those guys for prospects that we passed on, they were fairly pricey.

Kelly - 2nd round pick
Peverely - Wheeler
Paille - Third round pick
Campbell - Part of Horton trade, hard to evaluate, but most bit piece.
McQauid - UFA signing

I'd be happy to pay that price again if there were a genuine need, but they guys we have the lineup are mostly that level already. I may agree with you on the fourth line right wing slot, as Greer is unproven and we don't have a great candidate behind him. For defense, I think we may pull a transaction like swapping Zboril for a more proven rental, which I would fully support.

Reactions: PlayMakers

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Many won't like this but my guess is Frederic...Vancouver looking for a young center. He fits the bill and has finally been showing some promise and is a former first rounder. Bruins have the players to fill his role/gap moving forward. I believe he's a wanted commodity and rumours were bruins were willing to trade him.

They may, as in years past.

I understand adding depth, but this year is all in. So, to me, more impact players.

Nothing major, but not minor/tweener. Again, Luke Schenn. A fine addition.

For now -- for now, this season, and factoring in the cap -- they're set. I don't see needs other than D depth.

Full credit and high marks to Sweeney, Gold, etc. They deserve it.

That is not a backhand compliment, as critical as I have been.

Even so,

It's amazing what #37 & #46 will do for your depth.

Without these two choosing to return, even with Jim Montgomery, the storyline would be very different this season.

Reactions: ylekot

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Eichel no shots no points 44% at dot in Vegas 6-2 win

Donny may have to figure this out a summer earlier than expected - I had Jack here in 2024 July but doubt these two make it a season

Coyle is a no go and Cassidy likely wouldn’t want either

Im hoping Eichel can tolerate Bruce another 16 months we just aren’t ready for him - yet

Reactions: Bodit9

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

The need now is yet more depth.

I feel like this team has no “issues”

I also feel like this team is deep. I think they have a couple guys playing in the ahl that can be used for depth come playoff time.

Also I’m down to add depth. I’m also down to add a superstar. But I’m also down to do not much at all.

Reactions: GordonHowe

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Eichel no shots no points 44% at dot in Vegas 6-2 win

Donny may have to figure this out a summer earlier than expected - I had Jack here in 2024 July but doubt these two make it a season

Coyle is a no go and Cassidy likely wouldn’t want either

Im hoping Eichel can tolerate Bruce another 16 months we just aren’t ready for him - yet
I remember you being IN on Larkin a few years ago. ship may have sailed

The Bruins would have to be very creative, but bringing Bo in is insurance this year and stability down the Center position going forward. To rely on Coyle, Bergy, and DK remaining healthy through 16-22 playoff games is a big ask. I love that we have little Z as 7th D-man and wish he would spell some of the Top 6 with more regularity.

Zacha filling in for one of the big three is a tall ask as well. Bo Foligno and Lauko as your 4th line??
ok . . .dream is over

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I feel like this team has no “issues”

I also feel like this team is deep. I think they have a couple guys playing in the ahl that can be used for depth come playoff time.

Also I’m down to add depth. I’m also down to add a superstar. But I’m also down to do not much at all.
1674396895457.png

No superstars. Especially, No punk Kane. No Serious Toews. I don't care how good they (still) are. They're old, their contracts are trash, and, not to put to fine a point on it, they would not fit in, particularly Kane.

These two belong in Chicago, where they can answer for their farrago silence, not to say studied ignorance, relative to

No. Thank. You. Eff 'em both.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm in the camp that Carlo should be considered as trade bait (and other minor pieces) to get Horvat and Schenn. Yes Carlo is good and our team D would be weaker even with the addition of Schenn but our offense would be even more ridiculously good with Horvat. To be clear I don't want to move Carlo and would explore all other trade options for Horvat and Schenn that don't include core pieces of the current roster but I wouldn't make it a sticking point. If I'm Vancouver I'd ask for Carlo because he is good (albeit injury prone) and on a great contract if he stays healthy.

The offense already leads the league in GF/GP, so we should weaken the defense to add more offense :huh:

Reactions: hrdpuk and dugg133

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
How much would Meier cost as a pure rental?
I am not sure and I don't want to give the house away , but I would rather go down the Meier road than the Hovart road.................

As compared to my dad who would say "if you go out tonight, be careful asshole"

As far as the roster

Only upgrades to consider are the 5/6 defensemen and Nosek/Greer/Smith. Foward pos 1-10, defense 1-4 and the goalies are set in stone as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't scream but can't see them moving Clifton or Forbort either
I think a lot of are fathers used that quote .............and be honest think back to those days can you blame them.

Reactions: LouJersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad