Confirmed with Link: ‏CBJ sign Nathan Horton to a 7 year, 37.1 Mil. contract.

GrahamCracker215

Jun 27, 2011
For a guy that is so "injury prone", Horton has played quite a few games since the 05-06 season. Besides the 11-12 season where he played 56% of the teams regular season games, he has played in at least 80% of his teams games every year. I'm not sure about everyone else but I think the team can manage to miss him for 5-20% of the regular season if he performs like he does in the playoffs. He's definitely the best FA signing this year and will fit very well with our team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well this was certainly the worst kept secret in the NHL. I guess we'll find out if our first big FA splash with the front office pays off. We'll see what this ultimately does to our cap situation next year and what this does in regards to Gaborik.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Bob's Vezina, Jack Johnson's enthusiasm for the Jackets since day 1, Gaborik's willingness to waive a NMC and now an excellent power forward signs for 7 years at fair market value to play in Columbus!! Wow!! What's next? The playoffs!!

In less than two years, this franchise has gone from being the laughingstock of the NHL, perhaps all of all professional sports, to a respectable organization.

It's been fun watching the transformation.

To be honest, I don't think this was a 2 year transformation. I'm not Howson apologist, however, I do think he started to build this through goaltending and defensive depth more than 2 years ago (Look at the depth/pipeline and how it has changed in the last few years.)

I think the current management team brings an aggressive approach and legitimacy to the franchise that was lacking. To think they targeted one of the top free agents AND landed him. A reasonable contract (all relative in sports) and didn't have to give up assets.

I'm excited to see this team and believe the 2nd half of the year is going to be very exciting. Horton is a top notch player that brings everything we want in a power forward. His attitude seems great and his age fits right in with this team.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Two years ago wasn't Howson targeting a certain center from the Flyers as Nash's wing man. C'mon, let's not re-write history. Are you saying he was building out from the goal two years ago when he went with Mason and, I think it was Dekanich?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Two years ago wasn't Howson targeting a certain center from the Flyers as Nash's wing man. C'mon, let's not re-write history. Are you saying he was building out from the goal two years ago when he went with Mason and, I think it was Dekanich?

Didn't he do exactly what people have been praising the current regime for? Build the depth in the system, and plug the holes on the NHL roster while waiting for the kids to mature so that no one is granted a roster spot merely by failure to address the depth on the roster, then make a "big splash" that "sends a message to the rest of the league"?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Look, you can hate Howson all you want but last year's team that was so exciting was built by Howson. My point wasn't about Howson or Jarmo, it was merely a clarification that the CBJ transformation has actually been going on longer than the last two years. The defensive depth was entirely built prior to Jarmo's arrival. The goaltending depth (although we really can't say whether Bob, Dansk, Korpisalo, Forsberg and Ouelette will be solid NHL goaltenders yet long term) was also established. There were plenty of mistakes too.

I'm not looking to hijak this thread and make it a SH, JK debate. The team is moving in a great direction and looks to have solid management going forward. It also wasn't devoid of talent or a plan prior to their arrival.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Back on topic: Getting Nathan Horton to come here is a huge step in the right direction for this franchise. Why? Because, as has been mentioned, he's likely the top prize in this year's free agent sweepstakes - both short term and long term. Also, we gave up no assets to get him, and for the first time, a player like this has signed here because this is where he wants to be.

Welcome to relevancy, folks ... enjoy the ride!

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Back on topic: Getting Nathan Horton to come here is a huge step in the right direction for this franchise. Why? Because, as has been mentioned, he's likely the top prize in this year's free agent sweepstakes - both short term and long term. Also, we gave up no assets to get him, and for the first time, a player like this has signed here because this is where he wants to be.

and the fact we really didn't overpay for said asset for once... $5.3 is very on the market for him....

thebus2288*

Well like most of you I was in the 'believe it when I see it' camp when the talk of him visiting and small market stuff came out. Signing a(the) top forward FA a couple years after getting a(the) top defensemen says quite a bit. And its good to see were back to the jealousy related **** talking compared to the pity related talk during the Carter era. With Wiz we could only get FA's by overpaying by so much, now with Horton its because he's lost the drive and won't be held accountable. But yet if these 2 guys signed the same contracts with the teams that have these fans with mainly ignorant opinions we'd be seeing threads like...."Does signing Wiz give XXXX the strongest PP in the league?" "After getting Horton is XXXX the favorite to win the East?"

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Good signing.

Hard nose, gritty player, with a scorer's touch. He'll fit right in.

Pbottfeld

Jul 7, 2013
Good signing.

Hard nose, gritty player, with a scorer's touch. He'll fit right in.

As a long time Florida Panther Fan I am really happy to see a market like Columbus get some attention from free agents like Nate. I feel compelled to let you guys know what kind of player he is.

When he plays with an edge (realistically 50% of the time), he is as good as anybody. But he does his fair share of floating and tries to hard for the perfect play with the nice toe drag etc. but Nate also has some very underrated passing abilities. His last season with Florida, before he got hurt, he was setting up everyone.

All in all , you guys have a legitimate first line player to play with Gaborik if Todd chooses to do so. If Nate plays 50 games this year, and he is healthy while he is playing he should put up 17-22 goals and 20-25 assists. If he is not 100% and is playing/floating expect more along the lines of 12-15 goals and 16-20 assists.

When he is not 100%, it's fairly obvious. I wish you guys a great season and congrats on the signing.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

How many times have we even tried to get a player like this? Point taken, but it's not like we've really put our foot in the pool. We tried for Redden.

In this case the large market teams were out of the running. I'm not sure I would call this a victory for legitimacy. Until we compete with the Rangers and the like and win, we can't really claim victory.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
In this case the large market teams were out of the running. I'm not sure I would call this a victory for legitimacy. Until we compete with the Rangers and the like and win, we can't really claim victory.

And we just lost out on the chance to bring back Aaron Johnson for a third time; the Rangers got him.

:sarcasm:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
What a shocker, he followed Nash around.

I'm just wondering how long it takes for New York to unload a couple of productive players and talk about the new direction they're going in led by #61. After that, it's just a matter of time before what someone smarter than me once referred to as "The Cult of 61" to take over. And then how long it takes to realize what we all did several years ago.

(Shocking, I know. I just admitted openly that there's someone out there smarter than me.)

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Just having a hard time getting excited for a 7 year contract who is one big hit away from being Marc Savard or Chris Pronger...

Seven years is a long contract but there are options if one can figure out the difference between no movement and no trade terminology....

The Blue Jackets landed perhaps the biggest free agent in their history in one of the biggest deals on the opening day of free agency. Horton signed a seven-year, $37.1 million contract that includes a no-move clause for the first four years and a no-trade clause for the final three. His salary-cap hit will be $5.3 million through the 2019-20 season

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/07/06/horton-finds-home.html

I guess we can send him to minors at 32 if he tanks...

The thing I like, he's 28 and a warrior in the dirt!; the thing I don't like is his concussion and shoulder injury history... That said, awesome signing.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Seven years is a long contract but there are options if one can figure out the difference between no movement and no trade terminology....

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/07/06/horton-finds-home.html

I guess we can send him to minors at 32 if he tanks...

The thing I like, he's 28 and a warrior in the dirt!; the thing I don't like is his concussion and shoulder injury history... That said, awesome signing.

we really can't....in the new CBA, you can't stash players in AHL for cap relief anymore...anything over $900k counts on the cap still

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm guess I'm the only guy around here not worried about the term.

Nope, not the only one. I don't have a problem with the term or the money or the structure. The guy will be 35 when the deal is done. Had it been 7 years for someone at 31 or 32 I might be a little concerned with the term given the way he has historically (is expected) played. He's a banger and a power forward, not a perimeter guy so the wear and tear by his mid 30's could bring his game down by the end of the contract. if he signed this as a 30 something player it's possible the usefulness is shorter than worth.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Nope, not the only one. I don't have a problem with the term or the money or the structure. The guy will be 35 when the deal is done. Had it been 7 years for someone at 31 or 32 I might be a little concerned with the term given the way he has historically (is expected) played. He's a banger and a power forward, not a perimeter guy so the wear and tear by his mid 30's could bring his game down by the end of the contract. if he signed this as a 30 something player it's possible the usefulness is shorter than worth.

Yep. Term is fine. Dollars are fine. Contract is fine.

Next.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
It is what it is. Money is what the Market seems to be. The term was probably more to lower the cap hit than anything else, and as has been pointed out, it is hardly egregious. If, worse case scenario, he wears out due to style of play, he retires or is bought out. Team gets what should be his best years. If the concussion issue becomes a problem, there is LTIR and insurance covers the outlay.

They got their man, one of if not the most sought after FA's available. He is a good fit. And he wants to be here.

What's not to like??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad