Confirmed with Link: ‏CBJ sign Nathan Horton to a 7 year, 37.1 Mil. contract.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think you're onto something, David, but I also thought it was rediculously to read that Horton's coming here to loaf in his big backyard and cash his checks without the pressure to win in a place like Boston. In response to post like that on the mains, I said (I hate to waste words on those fools, so I'm quoting myself, here!):

As for the lesser media scrutiny, that may not be entirely true. The Jackets honeymoon period as an expansion franchise has ended and serious improvement on the ice is expected. Columbus is not some Podunk backwater, it's the 15th largest city in America and home to some of the most demanding and obnoxious sports fans in the world - Ohio State football fans! I know, I'm one (of the less obnoxious ones!). Close scores are not accepted, let alone losses. The spotlight is now shifting and intensifying on the CBJ and the OSU mentality is not a very forgiving one. Certainly it's not the level of attention that Horton has experienced in Boston, but please don't think for a minute that he's going to float around collecting his big paycheck while the rubes in town stare in amazement at men moving on ice! Remember, we watched one of the best scoring forward of the past decade, Rick Nash, put up 30+ goals a year. Young Mr. Horton will be expected to be in that class.

Educated writings will not be tolerated. Nice response.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 9s

To be clear, TSN panel #CBJ POHOP John Davidson was so irritated by was The Reporters ...guys who, by the way, are paid for their opinions.

...and Portzline backs down.

I don't give a damn if they're paid for their opinions or not. I'm not getting paid to post, but I'll still put into writing that they can munch my taint.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Some classless comments by a few idiots on TSN. People that **** on Columbus have clearly never been to the city or know anything about it or the state of Ohio. Not only does Columbus have some of the most passionate fans in the US, but it's also a great place to raise a family, which seemed to be an important factor to Horton.

I've lived in Boston, Pittsburgh, the greater DC area...and I would take Columbus over any of those in a heartbeat. I'm a Wings fan first, but Columbus has always been a team that I've followed and wished the best for, and I loved going to games at Nationwide when I was there. Looking forward to CBJ making the playoffs in their inaugural season in the East, and Horton is going to be a big part of that.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Someday a bigger ********* will come along. But until that time he's it.

Pretty much this. I almost hope it never happens, both because that means the franchise has already dealt with the biggest POS in its history, and because you know who deserves every ounce of hate thrown his way.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Pretty much this. I almost hope it never happens, both because that means the franchise has already dealt with the biggest POS in its history, and because you know who deserves every ounce of hate thrown his way.

Agreed. Jeff Carter is the gold standard for douchebaggery. Knocking the former CBJ standards, Adam Foote and Krzysztof Oliwa, down to distant silver and bronze levels accordingly.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I was leary with the first time I heard Dubinsky speak post trade too. I know this is different, Horton CHOSE Columbus, that says alot, and I hope to be pleasantly surprised like I was with everything Dubinsky said in the interviews during the season and his play on the ice. Can't wait till we can see 8 out there the first time on the ice.

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Look at Columbus!! Wow guys you have a team now , so happy for the Jackets organization and fan base , you guys deserve it after some mediocre years. I'm so happy for Bob as well , I loved watching them push to the playoffs last year and was disappointed when they didn't qualify just because of ROW. I will be following the jackets this year , Good luck.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Look at Columbus!! Wow guys you have a team now , so happy for the Jackets organization and fan base , you guys deserve it after some mediocre years. I'm so happy for Bob as well , I loved watching them push to the playoffs last year and was disappointed when they didn't qualify just because of ROW. I will be following the jackets this year , Good luck.

You'll get a close look, division rival ;)

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005

Thanks for your kind words. It will probably take us a while to get used to the lack of time change so could you please start your backup goalie against us as often as possible?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Great signing by the Jackets ... I mentioned that I was skeptical about it happening, but I'm glad they got their man in the end.

Going to be a fun team to watch this year!

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Have to admit, I'm amazed at how things have improved since we finished dead last a couple seasons ago.

Granted, nothing is guaranteed, but, man, it feels good to be a Jackets fan right now.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Thanks for your kind words. It will probably take us a while to get used to the lack of time change so could you please start your backup goalie against us as often as possible?

Man, I don't know about that. I have a lot of painful memories of watching many a back-up goalie playing out of his ass against us. I'd almost rather see the starters.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Man, I don't know about that. I have a lot of painful memories of watching many a back-up goalie playing out of his ass against us. I'd almost rather see the starters.

Keep emotions in check. First of all, it's the Flyers, who haven't had a goalie play well long-term for them since Ron Hextall. And, it's the Flyers with Sieve Mason.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Leesmith.. don't forget that asshat

Agreed. Jeff Carter is the gold standard for douchebaggery. Knocking the former CBJ standards, Adam Foote and Krzysztof Oliwa, down to distant silver and bronze levels accordingly.

Kyle McLeod that we wasted a 2nd round pick on. Guy thought he was too good to play for an expansion franchise, when in fact he really never ending up playing anywhere. I can see giving him the booby prize.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Some classless comments by a few idiots on TSN. People that **** on Columbus have clearly never been to the city or know anything about it or the state of Ohio. Not only does Columbus have some of the most passionate fans in the US, but it's also a great place to raise a family, which seemed to be an important factor to Horton.

I've lived in Boston, Pittsburgh, the greater DC area...and I would take Columbus over any of those in a heartbeat. I'm a Wings fan first, but Columbus has always been a team that I've followed and wished the best for, and I loved going to games at Nationwide when I was there. Looking forward to CBJ making the playoffs in their inaugural season in the East, and Horton is going to be a big part of that.

Classy post - Thanks.

Andrew83

Dec 15, 2010
Boston
Horton is an awesome player who plays even better in the playoffs. A huge reason why the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 2011. Columbus might be my new favorite team in the West (oops, I keep forgetting about the re-alignment, lol).

He seems very resilient in terms of coming back from injuries too.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Horton is an awesome player who plays even better in the playoffs. A huge reason why the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 2011. Columbus might be my new favorite team in the West (oops, I keep forgetting about the re-alignment, lol).

He seems very resilient in terms of coming back from injuries too.

I tell ya who REALLY impressed me this season - Patrice Bergeron.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I tell ya who REALLY impressed me this season - Patrice Bergeron.

Awe, here we go again Lee ... I mean, all the guy did was play through some broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a serious shoulder injury ... in the Stanley Cup Finals. It's not like he won it or anything. Get over it. It wasn't that impressive. :sarcasm:

grind your soul

Belak forever
Jul 1, 2006
Toronto
At first glance, this contract is terrible term but not overly unreasonable dollars.

But I've been looking into Horton's stats for the past hour or so, trying to convince myself that he is more than just a "good" goalscorer who was inflated to "very good" by his environment in Boston, and I'm having a hard time doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad