Confirmed with Link: ‏CBJ sign Nathan Horton to a 7 year, 37.1 Mil. contract.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
At first glance, this contract is terrible term but not overly unreasonable dollars.

But I've been looking into Horton's stats for the past hour or so, trying to convince myself that he is more than just a "good" goalscorer who was inflated to "very good" by his environment in Boston, and I'm having a hard time doing it.

I have a hard time believing anything about the environment in Boston would inflate anyone's offense.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Kyle McLeod that we wasted a 2nd round pick on. Guy thought he was too good to play for an expansion franchise, when in fact he really never ending up playing anywhere. I can see giving him the booby prize.

Guy thought he was too good to play with anyone who drafted him, not just us. Only one man was dumb enough to burn a 2nd-rounder on someone like that, then act shocked when he actually was serious about not signing.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Enjoy Nathan! Great player and his style of play will fit great there. Wishing you guys the best. I hate almost everyone besides you guys in that new division.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
At first glance, this contract is terrible term but not overly unreasonable dollars.

But I've been looking into Horton's stats for the past hour or so, trying to convince myself that he is more than just a "good" goalscorer who was inflated to "very good" by his environment in Boston, and I'm having a hard time doing it.

His goal-scoring numbers were actually better when he was playing with Florida for a perennial cellar-dweller, so your argument doesn't really hold much water.

(Also, I can't quite tell if you're trolling the board, jury's still out.)

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
B's lose Horton and Seguin and got better at forward haha.. nutty

and this is a quality deal for the jackets despite the term (it is set up for a buyout and a low hit so it isn't that ridiculous if you're fine with eating some $$$$.. which they seem to be)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 30s

Think he knew? #CBJ C/RW Nathan Horton flew to Columbus last night in advance of today's free agent signing.

The contract itself must not have been an issue then since it has been clearly written over the couple of days that contract offers could not be made until the window opened. I guess they spoke in generalities. I wonder if his agent was even involved at all.

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia

It is trust me , being a Flyers fan I have a familiarity with this type of player , He will play 100% at all times , every shift , no matter the opponent or the score. He is a warrior that will do whatever it takes to get a win , He is a clutch player , can make good passes and score timely goals , he can hit and block a shot , he is one of the top power forwards in the game today , he isn't just paid to score goals , he is being paid to do it all. Columbus fans will absolutely love this guy. Got him for an absolutely great price as well.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Bob's Vezina, Jack Johnson's enthusiasm for the Jackets since day 1, Gaborik's willingness to waive a NMC and now an excellent power forward signs for 7 years at fair market value to play in Columbus!! Wow!! What's next? The playoffs!!

In less than two years, this franchise has gone from being the laughingstock of the NHL, perhaps all of all professional sports, to a respectable organization.

It's been fun watching the transformation.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Bob's Vezina, Jack Johnson's enthusiasm for the Jackets since day 1, Gaborik's willingness to waive a NMC and now an excellent power forward signs for 7 years at fair market value to play in Columbus!! Wow!! What's next? The playoffs!!

In less than two years, this franchise has gone from being the laughingstock of the NHL, perhaps all of all professional sports, to a respectable organization.

It's been fun watching the transformation.

To me, its a little scary how fast it changed. Playoffs are nothing guaranteed for us (See 2009-10 after our playoff year, we all thought it was a slam dunk) But it's alot more fun being where we are today, then where we were a year ago.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Loved the signing even before the news of what Clowe and Clarkson signed for, even moreso now. For being a rung lower than Nash on skill, I'll take Horton's play and his 2.5 million less cap hit every day of the week.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
just insane to me to see a lot of the same ppl doing this also yelling at Mayor for his continuous XGMSH love...even the biggest carter lover has pretty much moved on, and so has this team...

My comment was directed at Carter.

I was always one of the few Howsonites.

grind your soul

Belak forever
Jul 1, 2006
Toronto
His goal-scoring numbers were actually better when he was playing with Florida for a perennial cellar-dweller, so your argument doesn't really hold much water.

(Also, I can't quite tell if you're trolling the board, jury's still out.)

His goal-scoring was higher because he played almost 3:00/game more with Florida than with Boston. His actual goal/assist/point rates per 60 minutes of TOI were actually all better with Boston. 1.11 G/60 vs 0.757, 2.22 P/60 vs 2.03, and 14.07 Shot Attempts/60 vs 12.98.

His PP numbers are better with FLA, but still middling when factored against the rest of the league. Horton had 3.40 Powerplay Points/60 in FLA vs 2.48 w/ Boston - but his FLA PPP/60 was just 181st in the league over that time.

So with Horton what you're getting is a secondary scorer who was put into a primary scoring position with Florida. Yes, those teams were bad, but using Nathan Horton as their top scorer didn't help. If he can be counted on to be a 25 goal/50 point guy in Columbus, but not "THE GUY", then I think the contract should be okay, provided his wonky shoulder stays where it's supposed to.

Is he more than his numbers indicate? Sure, numbers paint a nice picture, but they don't tell you everything. What others have said about him in this thread hold true - he's a big body, works hard, positive influence on his teammates, and if used properly will be a great asset to the team.

But if the team is putting their eggs into the "Horton and Gaborik have to be the best players every night" basket, it's asking for trouble.

Edit: I'm hoping that with all of the other talented players on the team, this isn't going to be the case - many are already slotting him in as a second-line option, and the team has a third line that can also put up some points and play well. If that's how he is going to be used, then this deal may well work out.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Based on visiting fans' opinions and knowing our roster...

It looks like we have one more piece that can play in any of the top three lines with any of our other top 9 forwards. At least this season there will be a preseason so they can figure out some of the lines before the season starts.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
This team is NOT going to be a team that assumes "Horton and Gaborik have to be our best players every night". That is the antithesis of the way this team works. The Jackets play as TEAM not as an NBA franchise with a "STAR" and a supporting cast.

grind your soul

Belak forever
Jul 1, 2006
Toronto
This team is NOT going to be a team that assumes "Horton and Gaborik have to be our best players every night". That is the antithesis of the way this team works. The Jackets play as TEAM not as an NBA franchise with a "STAR" and a supporting cast.
Then if Horton can keep his shoulder from popping out every time he moves it, the deal may well work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad