Confirmed with Link: ‏CBJ sign Nathan Horton to a 7 year, 37.1 Mil. contract.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I would rather we just bring up Jenner or someone else from Springfield and then move someone up to Horton's spot until he is ready to play.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
Found out the great news on my way back from the gym in the car. I was quite excited.:) The cap hit is lower than I expected but he has injury and concussion issues. Great to see Jarmo keep nailing this sweet deals down.

Steeltown Jacket

FanFromPensTerritory
Aug 8, 2011
Central Ohio
I couldn't watch the press conference at work due to stupid work computers, but I loved reading what he had to say in his quotes.

So I guess Horton never left the town? Was hiding in some hotel :laugh:

I thought the same thing! Unless he would really want to fly out yesterday morning and fly back in this morning.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Loved Horton's quotes. It really shows how much family factors into these signings. Think about it, the player travels all the time during the season, the wife and kids are here the entire time. It's important that they are happy as well since they're actually the ones doing the daily living here. That's what people like the idiots on TSN fail to realize 90% of the time. It's not always all about the big city and hottest nightspots.

Steeltown Jacket

FanFromPensTerritory
Aug 8, 2011
Central Ohio
Loved Horton's quotes. It really shows how much family factors into these signings. Think about it, the player travels all the time during the season, the wife and kids are here the entire time. It's important that they are happy as well since they're actually the ones doing the daily living here. That's what people like the idiots on TSN fail to realize 90% of the time. It's not always all about the big city and hottest nightspots.

The anti Jeff C.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Other than injuries, the one thing I am concerned about is is he getting away from a big market so he can have his peace? Or is he getting away from a big market so he doesn't get the criticism if he doesn't perform?

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
Next to the clarkson signing, horton looks pretty damn good.

canadian teams are looking pathetic today. losing captains, overpaying, and boyd gordon. hahaha

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Other than injuries, the one thing I am concerned about is is he getting away from a big market so he can have his peace? Or is he getting away from a big market so he doesn't get the criticism if he doesn't perform?

[Not directed specifically at you]

Why is it such a big deal that he wants to live in a quieter city? I hate big cities. I hate big crowds. While I could easily deal with them for my job if I had to travel to those places, I would never choose to live in a big city if given my choice. Never. Why is it so hard to believe that there are players who feel the same way?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
No no, screw those guys. Just always concerning when a big market guy comes to a small market.

I look at it in much the same way that I want to move to the country, with at least a half mile between myself and the next neighbor. Sometimes you get to a point where some peace and quiet is just what you want.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
After thinking about it, you're right. I forgot Horton played in FLA, a small market. He's had a taste of both sides, so I guess he's just the quieter type and he lit it up for FLA during their darkest years.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Next to the clarkson signing, horton looks pretty damn good.

canadian teams are looking pathetic today. losing captains, overpaying, and boyd gordon. hahaha
The Clarkson signing is simply insane. The Horton signing comes with some question marks, but it's something Columbus can easily afford and instantly improves all the negatives in the Blue Jackets' top-6.

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
damn i love what jarmo is doing in columbus. first gaborik trade and now this. columbus is my 2nd fav team now.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 9s

To be clear, TSN panel #CBJ POHOP John Davidson was so irritated by was The Reporters ...guys who, by the way, are paid for their opinions.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline now

Nathan Horton said Columbus "felt like home" shortly after he arrived. "There's even Tim Horton's here."

lol

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 53s

#CBJ have not closed the door on Vinny Prospal, but his salary demands may have to soften to make it work. File this under: We shall see

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 30s

Think he knew? #CBJ C/RW Nathan Horton flew to Columbus last night in advance of today's free agent signing.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I love the signing. It does have some risk, but to get a very good power forward it's a good gamble.

Just from what I've heard is every American Hockey Couple seems to love Columbus (again generalization). Great golf courses (Nash still has his membership at Scioto, several current guys at Muirfield, plus with JMAC with Doube Eagle), lots of shopping, some great schools.

Single players over about 25 likely won't like Columbus that much if they are from big towns. Columbus is nice but it's largely like a campus night life. Guess the good news is many of the single jackets have found themselves local girl friends (even some of older Jackets who have retired or are playing else where still maintain residences in Cbus or the Burbs, like Dorsett and his gf/fiancee are saying they are keeping their place in Cbus last I heard and he was going to get temporary housing in NYC for the season next year). But the guys like Zherdev never fit. Carter didn't even give Cbus a chance. Several other younger guys liked Park street a bit much and didn't last long.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I think you're onto something, David, but I also thought it was rediculously to read that Horton's coming here to loaf in his big backyard and cash his checks without the pressure to win in a place like Boston. In response to post like that on the mains, I said (I hate to waste words on those fools, so I'm quoting myself, here!):

As for the lesser media scrutiny, that may not be entirely true. The Jackets honeymoon period as an expansion franchise has ended and serious improvement on the ice is expected. Columbus is not some Podunk backwater, it's the 15th largest city in America and home to some of the most demanding and obnoxious sports fans in the world - Ohio State football fans! I know, I'm one (of the less obnoxious ones!). Close scores are not accepted, let alone losses. The spotlight is now shifting and intensifying on the CBJ and the OSU mentality is not a very forgiving one. Certainly it's not the level of attention that Horton has experienced in Boston, but please don't think for a minute that he's going to float around collecting his big paycheck while the rubes in town stare in amazement at men moving on ice! Remember, we watched one of the best scoring forward of the past decade, Rick Nash, put up 30+ goals a year. Young Mr. Horton will be expected to be in that class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad