Rumor: Zuccarello Close to Signing 2 or 3 Year Contract

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The guy is gonna get like 1.25m very minimal risk with very good reward, let Falk go not zucc

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
The guy is gonna get like 1.25m very minimal risk with very good reward, let Falk go not zucc

They didn't just trade for Falk to let him go. They clearly have a plan in mind. I don't think management will compromise here. I hope they don't do so with Stepan's deal anyway.

They want 9 capable NHL defensemen. Staal, Del Zotto, Girardi, McDonagh, Stralman, Falk, Johnson makes 7. They could count McIlrath and Bickel as #8 or #9. If they don't, Eminger could still get a deal. My guess is they let him test free agency to get feelers so they could get him cheaper.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
They didn't just trade for Falk to let him go. They clearly have a plan in mind. I don't think management will compromise here. I hope they don't do so with Stepan's deal anyway.

They want 9 capable NHL defensemen. Staal, Del Zotto, Girardi, McDonagh, Stralman, Falk, Johnson makes 7. They could count McIlrath and Bickel as #8 or #9. If they don't, Eminger could still get a deal. My guess is they let him test free agency to get feelers so they could get him cheaper.

You forgot some moore ;).

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It makes it more likely to be sent down generally though. With the prices thrown around (1.5 for three years for a young offensive guy?), it seems more like he just wants to be assured a spot and be called an NHL player rather than be jerked around more between the AHL and NHL. It certainly doesn't sound like he's asking for the moon here. He's asking for a little bit of security, which I would be glad to give him at that price.

It sounds like he's asking for the kind of money Pyatt, Boyle and Dorsett are making. If he plays like he did last season, he's more important to this team than any of them.

I'd be surprised if the Rangers are trying to negotiate a two-way deal with him. Until he's established himself he's always going to be one of the guys who is likely to get waived or assigned to the AHL. That's just the way it is. If he can play well and keep himself in the lineup, then he shouldn't be worried. A contract isn't going to dictate that.

I honestly think the team is weighing their options between Zucc and another FA. My guess is Peter Mueller. Both players are probably looking for the same kind of term and money on their deal. Similar in age, and each has their pros and cons.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I'd be surprised if the Rangers are trying to negotiate a two-way deal with him. Until he's established himself he's always going to be one of the guys who is likely to get waived or assigned to the AHL. That's just the way it is. If he can play well and keep himself in the lineup, then he shouldn't be worried. A contract isn't going to dictate that.

I honestly think the team is weighing their options between Zucc and another FA. My guess is Peter Mueller. Both players are probably looking for the same kind of term and money on their deal. Similar in age, and each has their pros and cons.

Zuccarello has already proven he fits on this club, though. I don't know, I don't see it that way. They had a chance on Mueller last year. I think they're just going in order. Waiting until Stepan and Hagelin have their deals done to see how much money they have to play with.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You're right, my bad. So we have 8. Either we get Eminger super cheap, or they organization doesn't mind McIlrath or Bickel as the #9.

unless his skating and decision making has improved a ton, i just dont see him starting the season with the big club this year.

as a fighter he can hold his own, but as a regular nhl defender, the worst thing for him would be to come up and struggle trying to keep up with the crazy speed of nhl forwards.

and we really need a guy who has some offensive skills on the blue line rather than a guy like the 3 you mention.

Frolic and DeTorts

Feb 23, 2013
A two way deal doesn't make him more likely to be sent down, if he is subject to waivers it is irrelevant if he has a 2 way deal. All it means is that if he is in the AHL he will make less than if he is in the NHL. A 1 way deal would guarantee the full amount of the contract regardless of whether he is in the NHL or AHL.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
A two way deal doesn't make him more likely to be sent down, if he is subject to waivers it is irrelevant if he has a 2 way deal. All it means is that if he is in the AHL he will make less than if he is in the NHL. A 1 way deal would guarantee the full amount of the contract regardless of whether he is in the NHL or AHL.

It could be a pride thing. A two way implies they don't think he could stick. I'm just spitballing, though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
unless his skating . . . has improved a ton, i just dont see him starting the season with the big club this year.

Are you sure you are talking about McIlrath? You do realize he has great skating for his size, correct? His skating is fine and he'd be fine in the NHL with it. I assume you are mistakenly talking about another player, though. I can't imagine anyone who has seen him actually thinking his skating is sub-par.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Are you sure you are talking about McIlrath? You do realize he has great skating for his size, correct? His skating is fine and he'd be fine in the NHL with it. I assume you are mistakenly talking about another player, though. I can't imagine anyone who has seen him actually thinking his skating is sub-par.

oh ive watched him plenty jon. "great skater" ??? please stop.

his skating is ok. not great. ive never been one to believe in the "his skating is ok for a guy his size" kinda thing. to me that means hes average.

hes certainly improved his stride since hes been a pro. when i watched alot of him when he was in the w, his skating was subpar at best. he had to improve.

stop trying to make it like hes a good skater. hes an average, but improving slightly, skater at best.

you want an example of a great skater thats huge.... nik zadorov. that guy can flat out move for a monster. hes worlds better than mcilrath.

if YOU watched mcilrath at all, i mean really watch him, you will see a big difference between almost ALL other top defenders and their stride and you would not have questioned my comment. dylan is still choppy and stiff. his hips are stiff. his angles still need work and he will struggle big time with speedy forwards.

is he better ?? yes. is he a good skater ? no. sorry, he just isnt.

hes a way better skater than noreau though...lolololo

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I just find it, slightly puzzling, that a guy that came back and was one of the better Rangers for the duration of his stay, obviously a NHL player - might, in the worst case scenario, be denied the chance to play in the NHL because of money.

It's how it works, but it doesn't seem all that fair

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Don't forget that only 925k of a 1-way deal can be buried. If he's on a 2 way deal, he costs nothing against the cap if he's sent down.

But I don't think it's a matter of 1 or 2 way. I think it's simply a case of him being the lowest priority. Hopefully Sather will get Step and Hags signed quickly so as not to drag it out. Zucc deserves that much, at least.

I hope he's on the team this year, but if not, I hope we trade him somewhere where he can get good ice time.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

If his name was Dimitri Macilrov would we even be having this conversation? :sarcasm:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They have stated they want to re-sign him. Zucc wants to re-sign. Not sure why people are getting all hot and bothered about him not signing yet. McDonagh just signed.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
They have stated they want to re-sign him. Zucc wants to re-sign. Not sure why people are getting all hot and bothered about him not signing yet. McDonagh just signed.

Because Brooks mentioned that they're tight on capspace (he blames the Pouliot contract) and of all the RFA's Zuccarello is certainly last in line.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Because Brooks mentioned that they're tight on capspace (he blames the Pouliot contract) and of all the RFA's Zuccarello is certainly last in line.

I don't put much stock in his speculation. There is plenty of dead weight that should be jettisoned ahead of Zucc.

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
I think the issue is getting Steps deal done then figuring out the leftover money. Sticking ash and powe in the minors saves about 1.9 on the cap. With hags and rhino out for the first couple of months they need the extra forwards to provide cover. I'm pretty sure that this includes zucc, our winger depth is garbage with two of the top 9 out to start the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad